Problem with 9800 Pro. Please help....

Folks,

I own a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 motherboard, a Radeon 9800 Pro 128, 2
sticks of quality DDR400 RAM and an Antec 430 watt power supply along
with 2 120GB ATA drives and 1 80GB SATA drive. There's also a Plextor
PlexWriter CDRW.

Anyway, since moving to this setup, I've never gotten decent video
performance. Everything has been sluggish but wasn't with my older
Soyo AMD Athlon XP 1800+/Radeon 8500 combination.

I've tried everything I could think of to find the bottleneck but have
come up empty every time. Then I ran the 3DMark benchmarks for 2001
and 2003. The scores were terrible. 9400 and 2000 roughly for each
one.

I then got an idea and installed my old 8500 in this system and it's
3DMark 2001 score was 10,500! What the hell is going on that my 8500
is solidly beating the 9800 Pro?

Where would you look? Is is the card? Is it the power supply (I
ordered a 600W PC Power and Cooling supply just for the hell of it
anyway) or is it the motherboard?

I'd like to say it's the card because it'll be easy to swap out
without requiring a re-install of everything, but I want to be sure.
I'd hate to buy a new motherboard just to find it's the card.

Ideas????

Are you running at 8x agp, with fast writes? Set in BIOS.

Have you run the latest Intel INF Util (you can download from the Intel
website).

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=816

Have you installed Catalyst 4.4 drivers?

VIA chipsets always load Hyperion (4in1) drivers. Intel chipsets always load
their INF util.

"Rich Heimlich" <agrajag@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> I own a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 motherboard, a Radeon 9800 Pro 128, 2
> sticks of quality DDR400 RAM and an Antec 430 watt power supply along
> with 2 120GB ATA drives and 1 80GB SATA drive. There's also a Plextor
> PlexWriter CDRW.
>
> Anyway, since moving to this setup, I've never gotten decent video
> performance. Everything has been sluggish but wasn't with my older
> Soyo AMD Athlon XP 1800+/Radeon 8500 combination.
>
> I've tried everything I could think of to find the bottleneck but have
> come up empty every time. Then I ran the 3DMark benchmarks for 2001
> and 2003. The scores were terrible. 9400 and 2000 roughly for each
> one.
>
> I then got an idea and installed my old 8500 in this system and it's
> 3DMark 2001 score was 10,500! What the hell is going on that my 8500
> is solidly beating the 9800 Pro?
>
> Where would you look? Is is the card? Is it the power supply (I
> ordered a 600W PC Power and Cooling supply just for the hell of it
> anyway) or is it the motherboard?
>
> I'd like to say it's the card because it'll be easy to swap out
> without requiring a re-install of everything, but I want to be sure.
> I'd hate to buy a new motherboard just to find it's the card.
>
> Ideas????

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:20:34 -0700, in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
you wrote:

>Are you running at 8x agp, with fast writes? Set in BIOS.

Fast writes are disabled as virtually every game I have recommends it.

>Have you run the latest Intel INF Util (you can download from the Intel
>website).

Yeah, just did it again today to be sure. No difference.

>Have you installed Catalyst 4.4 drivers?

Yep. Latest Omega drivers.

I'm really thinking it's the card or the motherboard. Memory, CPU and
power supply are all checking out.