password protect a folder ??

Have XP Pro and can readily password protect a file ... but is it possible to
password protect a folder ???

TIA
2 answers Last reply
More about password protect folder

    Windows XP does not have the capability to password-protect
    an individual file or folder. Instead, read the following:

    HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399&Product=winxp

    You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286&Product=winxp

    How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    Rob Smith wrote:
    > Have XP Pro and can readily password protect a file ... but is it possible to
    > password protect a folder ???
    >
    > TIA

    Like Win2K, WinXP's file security model doesn't rely on, or allow,
    the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
    applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
    of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
    and/or groups.

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
    files/folders.

    Best Practices for Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    As a crude work-around, if you actually prefer Win9x's way, you can
    place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to uncompress
    the folder to view/access its contents.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: