Windows XP Home hidden accounts

I was going through tightening security for XP Home (haha). I have found how
to provide some level of security to shared folders that
Windows3.11/95/98/NT/2000 provided (but not XP Home), thanks y'all. Then I
ran a command prompt "net users" and was suprised to see a bunch of hidden
accounts, such as helpxxxxx, support_xxxxx, (and also noticed that renaming a
user in XP Home doesn't seem to rename them but just alias them). Can I
delete these mystery accounts or are they tentacled into some
serivices/processes that will "break" XP? (This is just a ghosted
"sacrificial" computer for the internet that i got cheap so I don't really
feel like up/down/side-grading the OS).
--
"what is the meaning of value in a world of fact"
1 answer Last reply

    Read the following and make the changes in the registry
    to unhide the account(s) (if found), then delete the account(s).

    Create A Hidden User Account
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/create_hidden_user_account.htm

    Download Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition and scan your PC for the presence of spyware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites

    3 Simple Steps to Insure the Security of Your PC

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "sabot" wrote:

    | I was going through tightening security for XP Home (haha). I have found how
    | to provide some level of security to shared folders that
    | Windows3.11/95/98/NT/2000 provided (but not XP Home), thanks y'all. Then I
    | ran a command prompt "net users" and was suprised to see a bunch of hidden
    | accounts, such as helpxxxxx, support_xxxxx, (and also noticed that renaming a
    | user in XP Home doesn't seem to rename them but just alias them). Can I
    | delete these mystery accounts or are they tentacled into some
    | serivices/processes that will "break" XP? (This is just a ghosted
    | "sacrificial" computer for the internet that i got cheap so I don't really
    | feel like up/down/side-grading the OS).
    | --
    | "what is the meaning of value in a world of fact"

Security Windows XP