Closed

Unable to access local users and groups

On some XP clients, when I go into computer management, the local users and
groups icon has a red X over it. When I click on it, i receive the message
"Unable to access computer computername. The error was: %1 could not be
found."

Also, on these PCs, I get a directory service unavailable error when I try
to browse for printers or users published in active directory.

This only happens on some PCs on our network, both XP SP1 and SP2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam
1 answer Last reply
More about unable access local users groups

    I get the same problem on Win2000Pro. I f anyone knows how to correct this
    w/o reloading the OS. Let me know.

    "AdamOsterrieder" wrote:

    > On some XP clients, when I go into computer management, the local users and
    > groups icon has a red X over it. When I click on it, i receive the message
    > "Unable to access computer computername. The error was: %1 could not be
    > found."
    >
    > Also, on these PCs, I get a directory service unavailable error when I try
    > to browse for printers or users published in active directory.
    >
    > This only happens on some PCs on our network, both XP SP1 and SP2.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Adam

Computers Windows XP