Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Warning: Catalyst 7.99 Trashed Windows 98

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Windows 98
  • Catalyst
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 5:23:14 AM

I tried to update from the Catalyst 7.90 to 7.99 on Windows 98 SE.
7.90 worked. My CMOs and chip set drivers worked with 7.9.

I installed 7.99. It went OK.

I tried to boot. It hung while starting windows. It never got the
graphic screen. It was still in DOS mode loading and I would see the
DOS prompt. It was not a black screen, at least not on my machine.
It don't look exactly like the black screen problem in the Ati
knowledge data base.

I tried again, and the same thing happened. I went into safe mode and
rebotted to get into VGA mode. Windows would not start.

I went again into safe mode and uninstalled all ATI software thru
add/remove programs. That appeared to work.

Then I booted again. The same thing happened. Even after
uninstalling the Catalyst software, Windows would not start, except in
safe mode. My system looks gone. I don't have a clue of what to
change to try again.

My record of some 10 years never having a trouble free installation of
any ATI card continues. However, before, Windows always survived.

More about : warning catalyst trashed windows

Anonymous
April 29, 2004 1:49:10 PM

On 29 Apr 2004 01:23:14 -0700, ab5cvjl@yahoo.com (bagdad) waffled on
about something:

>I tried to update from the Catalyst 7.90 to 7.99 on Windows 98 SE.
>7.90 worked. My CMOs and chip set drivers worked with 7.9.
>
>I installed 7.99. It went OK.
>
>I tried to boot. It hung while starting windows. It never got the
>graphic screen. It was still in DOS mode loading and I would see the
>DOS prompt. It was not a black screen, at least not on my machine.
>It don't look exactly like the black screen problem in the Ati
>knowledge data base.
>
>I tried again, and the same thing happened. I went into safe mode and
>rebotted to get into VGA mode. Windows would not start.
>
>I went again into safe mode and uninstalled all ATI software thru
>add/remove programs. That appeared to work.
>
>Then I booted again. The same thing happened. Even after
>uninstalling the Catalyst software, Windows would not start, except in
>safe mode. My system looks gone. I don't have a clue of what to
>change to try again.
>
>My record of some 10 years never having a trouble free installation of
>any ATI card continues. However, before, Windows always survived.

Catalyst 7.99? Eh? What time machine did you use to get that?

I wouldn't blame ATI too much for things, their drivers have got a lot
better recently, not that it sounds like you're using anything recent
though. My 98 machine ate itself within 6 months and didn't even have
a gaming video card with all the associated drivers.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Anonymous

On 29 Apr 2004 01:23:14 -0700, ab5cvjl@yahoo.com (bagdad) wrote:

>I tried to update from the Catalyst 7.90 to 7.99 on Windows 98 SE.
>7.90 worked. My CMOs and chip set drivers worked with 7.9.
>
>I installed 7.99. It went OK.
>
>I tried to boot. It hung while starting windows. It never got the
>graphic screen. It was still in DOS mode loading and I would see the
>DOS prompt. It was not a black screen, at least not on my machine.
>It don't look exactly like the black screen problem in the Ati
>knowledge data base.
>
>I tried again, and the same thing happened. I went into safe mode and
>rebotted to get into VGA mode. Windows would not start.
>
>I went again into safe mode and uninstalled all ATI software thru
>add/remove programs. That appeared to work.
>
>Then I booted again. The same thing happened. Even after
>uninstalling the Catalyst software, Windows would not start, except in
>safe mode. My system looks gone. I don't have a clue of what to
>change to try again.
>
>My record of some 10 years never having a trouble free installation of
>any ATI card continues. However, before, Windows always survived.

Ati's uninstalls are not very effective. Download the
cat-uninstaller.exe from
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.h... and run it.
That'll clear the Ati stuff off your system much more effectively

patrickp

Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 2:26:36 PM

I thought it was (4.3) wme-catalyst-7-981-040127m-013420c?

bagdad wrote:

> I tried to update from the Catalyst 7.90 to 7.99 on Windows 98 SE.
> 7.90 worked. My CMOs and chip set drivers worked with 7.9.
>
> I installed 7.99. It went OK.
>
> I tried to boot. It hung while starting windows. It never got the
> graphic screen. It was still in DOS mode loading and I would see the
> DOS prompt. It was not a black screen, at least not on my machine.
> It don't look exactly like the black screen problem in the Ati
> knowledge data base.
>
> I tried again, and the same thing happened. I went into safe mode and
> rebotted to get into VGA mode. Windows would not start.
>
> I went again into safe mode and uninstalled all ATI software thru
> add/remove programs. That appeared to work.
>
> Then I booted again. The same thing happened. Even after
> uninstalling the Catalyst software, Windows would not start, except in
> safe mode. My system looks gone. I don't have a clue of what to
> change to try again.
>
> My record of some 10 years never having a trouble free installation of
> any ATI card continues. However, before, Windows always survived.
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 2:58:15 PM

NO no .. that catalyst 7.991.xxx are catalyst 4.3 for winMe/98.

Translating original post (to normal versions):
Catalyst 4.3 trashed my windows 98. Upgraded from 4.2 to 4.3. and so on..

"Danny Greaves" <dandog@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I thought it was (4.3) wme-catalyst-7-981-040127m-013420c?

Anonymous
April 30, 2004 9:34:54 PM

Woops! I should have looked a little closer. I assumed I had 4.3 installed but
your correct and i'm using 4.2.