Warning: Catalyst 7.99 Trashed Windows 98

I tried to update from the Catalyst 7.90 to 7.99 on Windows 98 SE.
7.90 worked. My CMOs and chip set drivers worked with 7.9.

I installed 7.99. It went OK.

I tried to boot. It hung while starting windows. It never got the
graphic screen. It was still in DOS mode loading and I would see the
DOS prompt. It was not a black screen, at least not on my machine.
It don't look exactly like the black screen problem in the Ati
knowledge data base.

I tried again, and the same thing happened. I went into safe mode and
rebotted to get into VGA mode. Windows would not start.

I went again into safe mode and uninstalled all ATI software thru
add/remove programs. That appeared to work.

Then I booted again. The same thing happened. Even after
uninstalling the Catalyst software, Windows would not start, except in
safe mode. My system looks gone. I don't have a clue of what to
change to try again.

My record of some 10 years never having a trouble free installation of
any ATI card continues. However, before, Windows always survived.
5 answers Last reply
More about warning catalyst trashed windows

    On 29 Apr 2004 01:23:14 -0700, ab5cvjl@yahoo.com (bagdad) waffled on
    about something:

    >I tried to update from the Catalyst 7.90 to 7.99 on Windows 98 SE.
    >7.90 worked. My CMOs and chip set drivers worked with 7.9.
    >
    >I installed 7.99. It went OK.
    >
    >I tried to boot. It hung while starting windows. It never got the
    >graphic screen. It was still in DOS mode loading and I would see the
    >DOS prompt. It was not a black screen, at least not on my machine.
    >It don't look exactly like the black screen problem in the Ati
    >knowledge data base.
    >
    >I tried again, and the same thing happened. I went into safe mode and
    >rebotted to get into VGA mode. Windows would not start.
    >
    >I went again into safe mode and uninstalled all ATI software thru
    >add/remove programs. That appeared to work.
    >
    >Then I booted again. The same thing happened. Even after
    >uninstalling the Catalyst software, Windows would not start, except in
    >safe mode. My system looks gone. I don't have a clue of what to
    >change to try again.
    >
    >My record of some 10 years never having a trouble free installation of
    >any ATI card continues. However, before, Windows always survived.

    Catalyst 7.99? Eh? What time machine did you use to get that?

    I wouldn't blame ATI too much for things, their drivers have got a lot
    better recently, not that it sounds like you're using anything recent
    though. My 98 machine ate itself within 6 months and didn't even have
    a gaming video card with all the associated drivers.

    D0d6y.
    --
    MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

    On 29 Apr 2004 01:23:14 -0700, ab5cvjl@yahoo.com (bagdad) wrote:

    >I tried to update from the Catalyst 7.90 to 7.99 on Windows 98 SE.
    >7.90 worked. My CMOs and chip set drivers worked with 7.9.
    >
    >I installed 7.99. It went OK.
    >
    >I tried to boot. It hung while starting windows. It never got the
    >graphic screen. It was still in DOS mode loading and I would see the
    >DOS prompt. It was not a black screen, at least not on my machine.
    >It don't look exactly like the black screen problem in the Ati
    >knowledge data base.
    >
    >I tried again, and the same thing happened. I went into safe mode and
    >rebotted to get into VGA mode. Windows would not start.
    >
    >I went again into safe mode and uninstalled all ATI software thru
    >add/remove programs. That appeared to work.
    >
    >Then I booted again. The same thing happened. Even after
    >uninstalling the Catalyst software, Windows would not start, except in
    >safe mode. My system looks gone. I don't have a clue of what to
    >change to try again.
    >
    >My record of some 10 years never having a trouble free installation of
    >any ATI card continues. However, before, Windows always survived.

    Ati's uninstalls are not very effective. Download the
    cat-uninstaller.exe from
    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html and run it.
    That'll clear the Ati stuff off your system much more effectively

    patrickp

    I thought it was (4.3) wme-catalyst-7-981-040127m-013420c?

    bagdad wrote:

    > I tried to update from the Catalyst 7.90 to 7.99 on Windows 98 SE.
    > 7.90 worked. My CMOs and chip set drivers worked with 7.9.
    >
    > I installed 7.99. It went OK.
    >
    > I tried to boot. It hung while starting windows. It never got the
    > graphic screen. It was still in DOS mode loading and I would see the
    > DOS prompt. It was not a black screen, at least not on my machine.
    > It don't look exactly like the black screen problem in the Ati
    > knowledge data base.
    >
    > I tried again, and the same thing happened. I went into safe mode and
    > rebotted to get into VGA mode. Windows would not start.
    >
    > I went again into safe mode and uninstalled all ATI software thru
    > add/remove programs. That appeared to work.
    >
    > Then I booted again. The same thing happened. Even after
    > uninstalling the Catalyst software, Windows would not start, except in
    > safe mode. My system looks gone. I don't have a clue of what to
    > change to try again.
    >
    > My record of some 10 years never having a trouble free installation of
    > any ATI card continues. However, before, Windows always survived.

    NO no .. that catalyst 7.991.xxx are catalyst 4.3 for winMe/98.

    Translating original post (to normal versions):
    Catalyst 4.3 trashed my windows 98. Upgraded from 4.2 to 4.3. and so on..

    "Danny Greaves" <dandog@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > I thought it was (4.3) wme-catalyst-7-981-040127m-013420c?

    Woops! I should have looked a little closer. I assumed I had 4.3 installed but
    your correct and i'm using 4.2.

    Asestar wrote:

    > NO no .. that catalyst 7.991.xxx are catalyst 4.3 for winMe/98.
    >
    > Translating original post (to normal versions):
    > Catalyst 4.3 trashed my windows 98. Upgraded from 4.2 to 4.3. and so on..
    >
    > "Danny Greaves" <dandog@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > > I thought it was (4.3) wme-catalyst-7-981-040127m-013420c?

Radeon Windows 98 Catalyst Graphics