Shared folders: Logon display or "Computer is not accessib..

From my XP-computer I try to access shared folders on two Win2K computers in
the same workgroup. My XP-username and password are not valid on either of
the 2K-computers. One of the 2K-computers prompts me with a logon display
and allows me to access the shared folders with a username and password
defined on that 2K-computer. The other 2K-computer just informs me that it
"is not accessible". Does anybody know the reason of this difference ? I
would prefer to have the logon option on both computers. The XP-computer has
SP2 with the firewall disabled.
--
Gert

Gert,

In a workgroup or (peer to peer) environment the security is broken. You
will only be able to login with an account that is on the Win2k boxes. As
far as the second machine is concerned make sure you have file and printer
sharing enabled and try to access it again. Another consideration is are you
running any firewall software on any of these machines? If so make sure you
run the network wizard of the firewall on all the machines. Hope this helps.
Hint....use the run command and try to access the admin$ share of both
machines.

"Gert" wrote:

> From my XP-computer I try to access shared folders on two Win2K computers in
> the same workgroup. My XP-username and password are not valid on either of
> the 2K-computers. One of the 2K-computers prompts me with a logon display
> and allows me to access the shared folders with a username and password
> defined on that 2K-computer. The other 2K-computer just informs me that it
> "is not accessible". Does anybody know the reason of this difference ? I
> would prefer to have the logon option on both computers. The XP-computer has
> SP2 with the firewall disabled.
> --
> Gert

Kory,

I can easily understand that I must provide a valid username and password in
order to access the shared folders on the Win2K boxes. The problem is that
one of the two boxes doesn't give me any opportunity to do so. File and
printer sharing is enabled on both and there is no firewall inside my local
network. Also I can see all the shared folders in explorer on the
XP-computer but trying to open them fails on one of the two Win2K boxes.
Defining identical users/passwords on all 3 computers solves the access
problem but the solution is not convenient.

Regards from Gert

"Kory (MCP, MCSA)" wrote:

> Gert,
>
> In a workgroup or (peer to peer) environment the security is broken. You
> will only be able to login with an account that is on the Win2k boxes. As
> far as the second machine is concerned make sure you have file and printer
> sharing enabled and try to access it again. Another consideration is are you
> running any firewall software on any of these machines? If so make sure you
> run the network wizard of the firewall on all the machines. Hope this helps.
> Hint....use the run command and try to access the admin$ share of both
> machines.
>
> "Gert" wrote:
>
> > From my XP-computer I try to access shared folders on two Win2K computers in
> > the same workgroup. My XP-username and password are not valid on either of
> > the 2K-computers. One of the 2K-computers prompts me with a logon display
> > and allows me to access the shared folders with a username and password
> > defined on that 2K-computer. The other 2K-computer just informs me that it
> > "is not accessible". Does anybody know the reason of this difference ? I
> > would prefer to have the logon option on both computers. The XP-computer has
> > SP2 with the firewall disabled.
> > --
> > Gert

Malke

Gert wrote:

> Kory,
>
> I can easily understand that I must provide a valid username and
> password in
> order to access the shared folders on the Win2K boxes. The problem is
> that
> one of the two boxes doesn't give me any opportunity to do so. File
> and printer sharing is enabled on both and there is no firewall inside
> my local
> network. Also I can see all the shared folders in explorer on the
> XP-computer but trying to open them fails on one of the two Win2K
> boxes. Defining identical users/passwords on all 3 computers solves
> the access problem but the solution is not convenient.

It may not be convenient, but that is the way a Workgroup works (as
opposed to a domain). Whenever you are sharing resources among
computers, the user requesting the resources must be authenticated.
That is basic computer security. In a domain (which is really
unnecessary for such a small number of computers) all user
authentication is done on the server; you don't have a central server
in a Workgroup - hence the need for the accounts to reside on the local
computers.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Malke,

Thanks for answering. But appearantly it is not the ONLY way workgroups
work. One of the Win2K boxes does provide an unknown user (on the XP box)
with the option to logon to its shared folders with a username and password
defined on the Win2K box. My question is: Why does the other Win2K box
behave differently ?

Gert

"Malke" wrote:

> Gert wrote:
>
> > Kory,
> >
> > I can easily understand that I must provide a valid username and
> > password in
> > order to access the shared folders on the Win2K boxes. The problem is
> > that
> > one of the two boxes doesn't give me any opportunity to do so. File
> > and printer sharing is enabled on both and there is no firewall inside
> > my local
> > network. Also I can see all the shared folders in explorer on the
> > XP-computer but trying to open them fails on one of the two Win2K
> > boxes. Defining identical users/passwords on all 3 computers solves
> > the access problem but the solution is not convenient.
> >
> It may not be convenient, but that is the way a Workgroup works (as
> opposed to a domain). Whenever you are sharing resources among
> computers, the user requesting the resources must be authenticated.
> That is basic computer security. In a domain (which is really
> unnecessary for such a small number of computers) all user
> authentication is done on the server; you don't have a central server
> in a Workgroup - hence the need for the accounts to reside on the local
> computers.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Malke

Gert wrote:

> Malke,
>
> Thanks for answering. But appearantly it is not the ONLY way
> workgroups
> work. One of the Win2K boxes does provide an unknown user (on the XP
> box)
> with the option to logon to its shared folders with a username and
> password
> defined on the Win2K box. My question is: Why does the other Win2K
> box behave differently ?

Because you have Guest enabled? Most well-secured systems do not since
having the Guest account enabled is a security hole.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

Guest is enabled on both Win2K computers but anyway they behave differently.