Internet Explorer version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920 ..

I have noticed that everytime I browse the web with the IE my home page that
I used to work from will not stay where I set it to be in TOOLS/INTERNET
OPTIONS.
Also when I launch the Outlook express to check the mail the browser starts
with the same page that I don't set but the IE browser returns to.

what gives? Anybody?
1 answer Last reply
More about internet explorer version 2800 1106 xpsp1 020828 1920

    Barber wrote:

    > I have noticed that everytime I browse the web with the IE my home
    > page that I used to work from will not stay where I set it to be in
    > TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS.
    > Also when I launch the Outlook express to check the mail the browser
    > starts with the same page that I don't set but the IE browser returns
    > to.
    >
    > what gives? Anybody?

    It sounds like you have been hijacked by malware. Do the following
    removal steps with updated tools in Safe Mode:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2003)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and disable hijackers, but
    it requires expert skill. See below for HijackThis links. A combination
    of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the About:Blank
    homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get
    help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
    must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
    the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
    Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
    http://www.majorgeeks.com - good download site
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners

    HijackThis:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
    Eshelman
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
    forum
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/

    General:
    http://forum.aumha.org/ - look under "Security" for various forums
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

Internet Explorer Outlook Express Browsers Microsoft Windows XP