How can I disable task links

Hello.
In windows XP when I open a folder, there are these irritating task liks
that when clicked on perform some type of task (ie Link you to another
folder, etc.). How can I disable this feature so that all windows that show
the contents of a folder do NOT have any other links to other areas or other
tasks that can be performed? Thanks in advanced.
5 answers Last reply
More about disable task links

    You might want to try this:

    Open a folder, click on Tools at the top. Select Folder Options.
    In the Tasks box on the General page select "Use Windows Classic
    Folders". Hit OK.

    Nepatsfan
    "Benjamin708" <Benjamin708@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > Hello.
    > In windows XP when I open a folder, there are these irritating
    > task liks
    > that when clicked on perform some type of task (ie Link you to
    > another
    > folder, etc.). How can I disable this feature so that all
    > windows that show
    > the contents of a folder do NOT have any other links to other
    > areas or other
    > tasks that can be performed? Thanks in advanced.

    Thank you very much. I will do this. Is it possible to set this with local
    policy?

    Benjamin

    "Nepatsfan" wrote:

    > You might want to try this:
    >
    > Open a folder, click on Tools at the top. Select Folder Options.
    > In the Tasks box on the General page select "Use Windows Classic
    > Folders". Hit OK.
    >
    > Nepatsfan
    > "Benjamin708" <Benjamin708@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > > Hello.
    > > In windows XP when I open a folder, there are these irritating
    > > task liks
    > > that when clicked on perform some type of task (ie Link you to
    > > another
    > > folder, etc.). How can I disable this feature so that all
    > > windows that show
    > > the contents of a folder do NOT have any other links to other
    > > areas or other
    > > tasks that can be performed? Thanks in advanced.

    To the best of my knowledge, the only Group Policy setting that
    would accomplish this is the following:

    User Configuration/Administrative Template/Windows Explorer/Use
    Classic Shell

    Keep in mind that setting this to Enabled changes more than just
    the folder option you originally asked about. Take a look on the
    Explanation page of this setting for more info.

    Note: The corresponding registry key is:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    In the right hand pane, set the value of ClassicShell to 1

    > Thank you very much. I will do this. Is it possible to set
    > this with local
    > policy?
    >
    > Benjamin
    >
    > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
    >
    >> You might want to try this:
    >>
    >> Open a folder, click on Tools at the top. Select Folder
    >> Options.
    >> In the Tasks box on the General page select "Use Windows
    >> Classic
    >> Folders". Hit OK.
    >>
    >> Nepatsfan
    >> "Benjamin708" <Benjamin708@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> > Hello.
    >> > In windows XP when I open a folder, there are these
    >> > irritating
    >> > task liks
    >> > that when clicked on perform some type of task (ie Link you
    >> > another
    >> > folder, etc.). How can I disable this feature so that all
    >> > windows that show
    >> > the contents of a folder do NOT have any other links to
    >> > other
    >> > areas or other
    >> > tasks that can be performed? Thanks in advanced.

    Following up on my previous answer the registry key for making
    the original change you asked about, and only that change, is the
    following:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    In the right hand pane modify the value to 0 to accomplish your
    original objective.

    Sorry for the confusion.

    Nepatsfan
    "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
    > To the best of my knowledge, the only Group Policy setting that
    > would accomplish this is the following:
    >
    > User Configuration/Administrative Template/Windows Explorer/Use
    > Classic Shell
    >
    > Keep in mind that setting this to Enabled changes more than
    > just the folder option you originally asked about. Take a look
    > on the Explanation page of this setting for more info.
    >
    > Note: The corresponding registry key is:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    > In the right hand pane, set the value of ClassicShell to 1
    >
    > Nepatsfan
    >
    > "Benjamin708" <Benjamin708@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    >> Thank you very much. I will do this. Is it possible to set
    >> this with local
    >> policy?
    >>
    >> Benjamin
    >>
    >> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
    >>
    >>> You might want to try this:
    >>>
    >>> Open a folder, click on Tools at the top. Select Folder
    >>> Options.
    >>> In the Tasks box on the General page select "Use Windows
    >>> Classic
    >>> Folders". Hit OK.
    >>>
    >>> Nepatsfan
    >>> "Benjamin708" <Benjamin708@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >>> in
    >>> message

    That should read "In the right hand pane modify the value of
    WebView to 0".

    Once again, sorry for the confusion. It's been a long day.

    > Following up on my previous answer the registry key for making
    > the original change you asked about, and only that change, is
    > the following:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    > In the right hand pane modify the value to 0 to accomplish your
    > original objective.
    >
    > Sorry for the confusion.
    >
    > Nepatsfan
    > "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
    >> To the best of my knowledge, the only Group Policy setting
    >> that would accomplish this is the following:
    >>
    >> User Configuration/Administrative Template/Windows
    >> Explorer/Use Classic Shell
    >>
    >> Keep in mind that setting this to Enabled changes more than
    >> just the folder option you originally asked about. Take a look
    >> on the Explanation page of this setting for more info.
    >>
    >> Note: The corresponding registry key is:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >> In the right hand pane, set the value of ClassicShell to 1
    >>
    >> Nepatsfan
    >>
    >> "Benjamin708" <Benjamin708@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >>> Thank you very much. I will do this. Is it possible to set
    >>> this with local
    >>> policy?
    >>>
    >>> Benjamin

Windows XP