Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Automatic XP Backups are not working

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
January 3, 2005 8:37:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I have an external hardrive attached to my machine and backup works if I do
it "now". If I schedule to run it at night then somehow nothing happens. it
doesnot backup. I cannot understand why it is not backing up. Help - do you
have any suggestions. I do have a password on the account and it asks me
that and I have entered it - but still nothing.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:43:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

First, the PC to be backup need to be on for the automated backup to work.
This may seem obvious but we sometime just forget it and close the PC.

The external drive which will receive the backup too need to be powered on.

Also, you might want to check if the automated task need to be run as
administrator (so if no session is on, it can still work).

"ac" wrote:

> I have an external hardrive attached to my machine and backup works if I do
> it "now". If I schedule to run it at night then somehow nothing happens. it
> doesnot backup. I cannot understand why it is not backing up. Help - do you
> have any suggestions. I do have a password on the account and it asks me
> that and I have entered it - but still nothing.
January 3, 2005 8:49:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Thanks - the PC is on and so is the hard drive so I know that is not the
issue. I have the Retro software from Maxtor backing up the system without a
problem but it only backups the machine - I can use the XP back to backup
over the LAN and somehow that is not working. It doesnot backup shared docs
over the network or folders on my computer.

I am backing up as myself and I have administrator rights. But I am not
backing it up as user name "Administrator". Should I be doing that?

"Myth0s" wrote:

> First, the PC to be backup need to be on for the automated backup to work.
> This may seem obvious but we sometime just forget it and close the PC.
>
> The external drive which will receive the backup too need to be powered on.
>
> Also, you might want to check if the automated task need to be run as
> administrator (so if no session is on, it can still work).
>
> "ac" wrote:
>
> > I have an external hardrive attached to my machine and backup works if I do
> > it "now". If I schedule to run it at night then somehow nothing happens. it
> > doesnot backup. I cannot understand why it is not backing up. Help - do you
> > have any suggestions. I do have a password on the account and it asks me
> > that and I have entered it - but still nothing.
Related resources
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 10:51:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Had this problem.

Seems that backups that run via scheduled tasks need
a login that has a password to work. So if you run them
from your normal login, and that login does not have a
password, the backup will not run. I created an account
"BackUp" with a password and admin right, and set the
backup to run with that account, and it works.

--

... Hank

http://horedson.home.att.net
http://w0rli.home.att.net
"ac" <ac319@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
news:270642DA-EC87-472A-BAA4-A68A71D4870A@microsoft.com...
> Thanks - the PC is on and so is the hard drive so I know that is not the
> issue. I have the Retro software from Maxtor backing up the system
> without a
> problem but it only backups the machine - I can use the XP back to backup
> over the LAN and somehow that is not working. It doesnot backup shared
> docs
> over the network or folders on my computer.
>
> I am backing up as myself and I have administrator rights. But I am not
> backing it up as user name "Administrator". Should I be doing that?
>
> "Myth0s" wrote:
>
>> First, the PC to be backup need to be on for the automated backup to
>> work.
>> This may seem obvious but we sometime just forget it and close the PC.
>>
>> The external drive which will receive the backup too need to be powered
>> on.
>>
>> Also, you might want to check if the automated task need to be run as
>> administrator (so if no session is on, it can still work).
>>
>> "ac" wrote:
>>
>> > I have an external hardrive attached to my machine and backup works if
>> > I do
>> > it "now". If I schedule to run it at night then somehow nothing
>> > happens. it
>> > doesnot backup. I cannot understand why it is not backing up. Help -
>> > do you
>> > have any suggestions. I do have a password on the account and it asks
>> > me
>> > that and I have entered it - but still nothing.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 11:11:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Yup, that's right. For backup and every other scheduled task. You can guess
why when you think "security". If a limited user could schedule a task (let's
say "format c:\", ;)  with just your username and not your password, you'll be
in trouble !

"Hank Oredson" wrote:

> Had this problem.
>
> Seems that backups that run via scheduled tasks need
> a login that has a password to work. So if you run them
> from your normal login, and that login does not have a
> password, the backup will not run.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 10:29:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Why would I be in trouble?

Anyone who has physical access to the machine can
whack it with a fire ax and then I'd be in trouble too.
Should be my choice what level of security I desire.

I just pointed out the probable solution to the OPs problem.

The error information, such as it is, does not give any
hint what the solution to the problem might be.

--

... Hank

http://home.earthlink.net/~horedson
http://home.earthlink.net/~w0rli
"Myth0s" <Myth0s@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:492B93C2-CD23-44EB-B513-B378A5AE4828@microsoft.com...
> Yup, that's right. For backup and every other scheduled task. You can
> guess
> why when you think "security". If a limited user could schedule a task
> (let's
> say "format c:\", ;)  with just your username and not your password, you'll
> be
> in trouble !
>
> "Hank Oredson" wrote:
>
>> Had this problem.
>>
>> Seems that backups that run via scheduled tasks need
>> a login that has a password to work. So if you run them
>> from your normal login, and that login does not have a
>> password, the backup will not run.
!