Creating a wireless network

hello
im thinking of creating a wireless network. I have a desktop computer, a laptop and a cable internet connection,printer.
In terms of equipment would i just need a pc card for the laptop and a cabled/wireless/ internet router. Im only having the laptop on the wirelesss network.I have seen wireless access points around. Do i need one even for just a single wireless connection such as this?
2 answers Last reply
More about creating wireless network

    Hello Hugh. My LAN uses a 4-port wired/wireless router connected to a cable
    modem. There are 3 desktop computers connected to the router from the
    desktop installed NICs using straight-through CAT5 RJ45 cable. Then I have a
    laptop that makes contact with the wireless router with a wireless card
    installed in the laptop. My printer is connected directly to the router,
    which includes a print server port, but it could have been connected
    directly to one of the PCs and shared.

    So I suggest you not buy an access point, but instead install a wireless
    card in your laptop and go with the wired/wireless router.

    "Hugh" <morto1500@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > hello
    > im thinking of creating a wireless network. I have a desktop computer, a
    laptop and a cable internet connection,printer.
    > In terms of equipment would i just need a pc card for the laptop and a
    cabled/wireless/ internet router. Im only having the laptop on the wirelesss
    network.I have seen wireless access points around. Do i need one even for
    just a single wireless connection such as this?

    You could just use a wifi card for your laptop,
    and a wireless internet router / access point for your internet connection.
    You could then connect your desktop pc into the network simply by using a
    cheap pci network card and cable plugged into a lan port on the router.

    Ray Taylor
    administrator@kaycee.co.nz

    "Hugh" <morto1500@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > hello
    > im thinking of creating a wireless network. I have a desktop computer, a
    laptop and a cable internet connection,printer.
    > In terms of equipment would i just need a pc card for the laptop and a
    cabled/wireless/ internet router. Im only having the laptop on the wirelesss
    network.I have seen wireless access points around. Do i need one even for
    just a single wireless connection such as this?

Laptops Wireless Network Wireless Networking