Cannot Delete Files After Restore

January 4, 2005 6:03:02 AM

Background:
===========
After performing a successful restore test (using NTBackup) I right-clicked
the restored topfolder, and after answering yes to delete system files,
executables and read-only files, but the error message occurs:

Error Message:
==============
"D:\Restore Test\File Server\UserData is not accessible.
Access is denied."

Circumvention Attempts:
=======================
The following attempts also cause the above error message:
# Browsing the folder UserData
# Taking ownership of "D:\Restore Test\File Server\" recursively
# Resetting Permissions of "D:\Restore Test\File Server\" recursively

Further Information:
====================
I am domain administrator and used a service account "ServiceAccount" to
backup the file.
Right-Clicking the Folder "D:\Restore Test\File Server\Userdata" does shows
the following context menu:

Expand (Grayed out)
----------
Explore
Open
----------
Send to ...
----------
Copy
Cut
Paste
----------
Rename
----------
Properties

As you can see I am missing the "SHARING & SECIRUTY..." option!?

When I click properties of the "UserData" folder I can choose the following
fans:

# General
# Customize

Again "Sharing" and "Security" fans are missing!

How do I get rid of this userdata folder?

More about : delete files restore

January 4, 2005 11:17:34 AM

Lars wrote:

> Background:
> ===========
> After performing a successful restore test (using NTBackup) I
> right-clicked the restored topfolder, and after answering yes to
> delete system files, executables and read-only files, but the error
> message occurs:
>
> Error Message:
> ==============
> "D:\Restore Test\File Server\UserData is not accessible.
> Access is denied."
>
> Circumvention Attempts:
> =======================
> The following attempts also cause the above error message:
> # Browsing the folder UserData
> # Taking ownership of "D:\Restore Test\File Server\" recursively
> # Resetting Permissions of "D:\Restore Test\File Server\" recursively
>
> Further Information:
> ====================
> I am domain administrator and used a service account "ServiceAccount"
> to backup the file.
> Right-Clicking the Folder "D:\Restore Test\File Server\Userdata" does
> shows the following context menu:
>
> Expand (Grayed out)
> ----------
> Explore
> Open
> ----------
> Send to ...
> ----------
> Copy
> Cut
> Paste
> ----------
> Rename
> ----------
> Properties
>
> As you can see I am missing the "SHARING & SECIRUTY..." option!?
>
> When I click properties of the "UserData" folder I can choose the
> following fans:
>
> # General
> # Customize
>
> Again "Sharing" and "Security" fans are missing!
>
> How do I get rid of this userdata folder?

In order to see the Sharing/Security tabs, the following must be true:

a. The drive must be NTFS
b. In Folder Options - View, uncheck 'Use Simple File Sharing'. That is
the level used in Home, and for some strange reason is on by default in
Pro, too.

After you've enabled the Sharing/Security tabs, you can take ownership
of the files:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421 - HOW TO: Take Ownership of a
File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421]

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

"Malke" wrote:

> Lars wrote:
>
> > Background:
> > ===========
> > After performing a successful restore test (using NTBackup) I
> > right-clicked the restored topfolder, and after answering yes to
> > delete system files, executables and read-only files, but the error
> > message occurs:
> >
> > Error Message:
> > ==============
> > "D:\Restore Test\File Server\UserData is not accessible.
> > Access is denied."
> >
> > Circumvention Attempts:
> > =======================
> > The following attempts also cause the above error message:
> > # Browsing the folder UserData
> > # Taking ownership of "D:\Restore Test\File Server\" recursively
> > # Resetting Permissions of "D:\Restore Test\File Server\" recursively
> >
> > Further Information:
> > ====================
> > I am domain administrator and used a service account "ServiceAccount"
> > to backup the file.
> > Right-Clicking the Folder "D:\Restore Test\File Server\Userdata" does
> > shows the following context menu:
> >
> > Expand (Grayed out)
> > ----------
> > Explore
> > Open
> > ----------
> > Send to ...
> > ----------
> > Copy
> > Cut
> > Paste
> > ----------
> > Rename
> > ----------
> > Properties
> >
> > As you can see I am missing the "SHARING & SECIRUTY..." option!?
> >
> > When I click properties of the "UserData" folder I can choose the
> > following fans:
> >
> > # General
> > # Customize
> >
> > Again "Sharing" and "Security" fans are missing!
> >
> > How do I get rid of this userdata folder?
>
> In order to see the Sharing/Security tabs, the following must be true:
>
> a. The drive must be NTFS
> b. In Folder Options - View, uncheck 'Use Simple File Sharing'. That is
> the level used in Home, and for some strange reason is on by default in
> Pro, too.
>
> After you've enabled the Sharing/Security tabs, you can take ownership
> of the files:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421 - HOW TO: Take Ownership of a
> File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421]
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Thank you for your assistance Malke, but this is not the problem as I failed
to explain above:

On the parent folder "D:\Restore Test\File Server" these options are
available, but on "D:\Restore Test\File Server\Userdata" sharing and security
is not available. This means that:

a) It runs NTFS
b) simple file sharing is not used... (I failed to mention that i run Ms
Windows 2003 server)

Thanks

Lars
Related resources
January 4, 2005 1:21:05 PM

Lars wrote:

> [...]
>> default in Pro, too.
>>
>> After you've enabled the Sharing/Security tabs, you can take
>> ownership of the files:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421 - HOW TO: Take Ownership of
>> a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421]
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>>

> Thank you for your assistance Malke, but this is not the problem as I
> failed to explain above:
>
> On the parent folder "D:\Restore Test\File Server" these options are
> available, but on "D:\Restore Test\File Server\Userdata" sharing and
> security is not available. This means that:
>
> a) It runs NTFS
> b) simple file sharing is not used... (I failed to mention that i run

Oh. Then I don't know the answer, but I'm sure one of the Server gurus
will come along shortly. You might want to post the question in one of
the server groups which are frequented by sysadmins. I'm very sorry I
couldn't help you.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
January 10, 2005 10:11:04 AM

I moved this question to:
Servers - Windows Servers / Security / Gerneral Security

Thanks

Lars

!