Which ATI Card for a P4 2.5, w/ low Power Requirments

I have a P4 2.5, and 512 megs of ram. I'm in need of a new video
card. I have no experience with ATI cards, but want to give them a
try. My other problem is my power supply is only 250 watts. Should I
just wait until I can replace the power supply and get a better video
card, or is there an ATI model that will still work ok? Mostly into
FPS, (not that many though) Flight Sims, and Racing. (NR2003 mostly)
Thanks,
Andy
8 answers Last reply
More about which card power requirments

    I have the same setup except 1GB RAM and went with the ATI9600XT. No power
    connection required and installation was a snap. I use Flight Sim 2004 for
    gaming exclusively and am pleased with the card. Only thing is when looking
    left and right from the 2D cockpit the repaint/draw is somewhat slow.

    Bill

    "Andy" <andy@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I have a P4 2.5, and 512 megs of ram. I'm in need of a new video
    > card. I have no experience with ATI cards, but want to give them a
    > try. My other problem is my power supply is only 250 watts. Should I
    > just wait until I can replace the power supply and get a better video
    > card, or is there an ATI model that will still work ok? Mostly into
    > FPS, (not that many though) Flight Sims, and Racing. (NR2003 mostly)
    > Thanks,
    > Andy

    Bill, the power comes from the PSU.
    I think you missed it.
    He should definately upgrade his PSU first.

    "Bill" <not@home.com> wrote in message
    > I have the same setup except 1GB RAM and went with the ATI9600XT. No
    power
    > connection required and installation was a snap. I use Flight Sim 2004 for
    > gaming exclusively and am pleased with the card. Only thing is when
    looking
    > left and right from the 2D cockpit the repaint/draw is somewhat slow.
    >
    > Bill
    >

    > "Andy" <andy@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a P4 2.5, and 512 megs of ram. I'm in need of a new video
    > > card. I have no experience with ATI cards, but want to give them a
    > > try. My other problem is my power supply is only 250 watts. Should I
    > > just wait until I can replace the power supply and get a better video
    > > card, or is there an ATI model that will still work ok? Mostly into
    > > FPS, (not that many though) Flight Sims, and Racing. (NR2003 mostly)
    > > Thanks,
    > > Andy

    Yes I understand and knew that. My point is with a 250W PSU you can use the
    9600XT with no problem and no need to upgrade the PSU. The 9600XT does not
    require a power connection or PSU better than 250W. Other high end cards
    recommend 350WPSU and do require a power connection to the PSU

    If he isnt ready or willing to upgrade the PSU then the 9600XT is a good
    choice.
    Hope I explained it better.
    Bill

    On Sat, 1 May 2004 04:37:22 -0400, "Bill" <not@home.com> wrote:

    >Yes I understand and knew that. My point is with a 250W PSU you can use the
    >9600XT with no problem and no need to upgrade the PSU. The 9600XT does not
    >require a power connection or PSU better than 250W. Other high end cards
    >recommend 350WPSU and do require a power connection to the PSU
    >
    >If he isnt ready or willing to upgrade the PSU then the 9600XT is a good
    >choice.
    >Hope I explained it better.
    >Bill

    Thanks Bill. That was the way I understood it. (that the 9600XT
    doesn't require power from the power supply.) I still might just wait
    and upgrade the PSU anyway, then opt for one of the higher end ATI
    cards. I just don't want to "waste" my money on a video card that is
    also going to be limited by my CPU. (P4 2.5)
    Thanks again,
    Andy

    > On Sat, 1 May 2004 04:37:22 -0400, "Bill" <not@home.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Yes I understand and knew that. My point is with a 250W PSU you can use
    the
    > >9600XT with no problem and no need to upgrade the PSU. The 9600XT does
    not
    > >require a power connection or PSU better than 250W. Other high end cards
    > >recommend 350WPSU and do require a power connection to the PSU
    > >
    > >If he isnt ready or willing to upgrade the PSU then the 9600XT is a good
    > >choice.
    > >Hope I explained it better.
    > >Bill
    >
    > Thanks Bill. That was the way I understood it. (that the 9600XT
    > doesn't require power from the power supply.) I still might just wait
    > and upgrade the PSU anyway, then opt for one of the higher end ATI
    > cards. I just don't want to "waste" my money on a video card that is
    > also going to be limited by my CPU. (P4 2.5)
    > Thanks again,
    > Andy

    Thats a good approach Andy. I see too many people getting high end cards for
    under powered CPU's as well as PSU's and then complain.

    Good luck

    Bill

    "Andy" <andy@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 1 May 2004 04:37:22 -0400, "Bill" <not@home.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Yes I understand and knew that. My point is with a 250W PSU you can use
    the
    > >9600XT with no problem and no need to upgrade the PSU. The 9600XT does
    not
    > >require a power connection or PSU better than 250W. Other high end cards
    > >recommend 350WPSU and do require a power connection to the PSU
    > >
    > >If he isnt ready or willing to upgrade the PSU then the 9600XT is a good
    > >choice.
    > >Hope I explained it better.
    > >Bill
    >
    > Thanks Bill. That was the way I understood it. (that the 9600XT
    > doesn't require power from the power supply.) I still might just wait
    > and upgrade the PSU anyway, then opt for one of the higher end ATI
    > cards. I just don't want to "waste" my money on a video card that is
    > also going to be limited by my CPU. (P4 2.5)
    > Thanks again,
    > Andy

    All components in the PC draw their power from the PSU, except for the PSU
    itself.
    Does the 9600XT draw power from wall socket?

    > "Andy" <andy@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 1 May 2004 04:37:22 -0400, "Bill" <not@home.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Yes I understand and knew that. My point is with a 250W PSU you can use
    > the
    > > >9600XT with no problem and no need to upgrade the PSU. The 9600XT does
    > not
    > > >require a power connection or PSU better than 250W. Other high end
    cards
    > > >recommend 350WPSU and do require a power connection to the PSU
    > > >
    > > >If he isnt ready or willing to upgrade the PSU then the 9600XT is a
    good
    > > >choice.
    > > >Hope I explained it better.
    > > >Bill
    > >
    > > Thanks Bill. That was the way I understood it. (that the 9600XT
    > > doesn't require power from the power supply.) I still might just wait
    > > and upgrade the PSU anyway, then opt for one of the higher end ATI
    > > cards. I just don't want to "waste" my money on a video card that is
    > > also going to be limited by my CPU. (P4 2.5)
    > > Thanks again,
    > > Andy
    >
    > All components in the PC draw their power from the PSU, except for the PSU
    > itself.
    > Does the 9600XT draw power from wall socket?

    No it draws it from the PSU but you DONT need to run a separate power
    connector like the other high end cards...thats a little wire with
    connectors on both ends..one runs from the card and the other to the PSU . I
    can draw a diagram if it would help. And like I said it doesnt need more
    than a 250W PSU.

    > "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Andy" <andy@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > > the
    > > not
    > cards

    > good
    > > >
    > > > Thanks Bill. That was the way I understood it. (that the 9600XT
    > > > doesn't require power from the power supply.) I still might just wait
    > > > and upgrade the PSU anyway, then opt for one of the higher end ATI
    > > > cards. I just don't want to "waste" my money on a video card that is
    > > > also going to be limited by my CPU. (P4 2.5)
    > > > Thanks again,
    > > > Andy
    > >
    > > All components in the PC draw their power from the PSU, except for the
    PSU
    > > itself.
    > > Does the 9600XT draw power from wall socket?
    > >
    > No it draws it from the PSU but you DONT need to run a separate power
    > connector like the other high end cards...thats a little wire with
    > connectors on both ends..one runs from the card and the other to the PSU .
    > can draw a diagram if it would help. And like I said it doesnt need more
    > than a 250W PSU.

    That all depends on how much the other devices draw and what voltage bus the
    vid card draws from.

    I know about the separate connector:(used to take the load off the MB and
    supply more power than the MB transformers or circuity can, if needed).

    Some MB's draw a lot off their 5v bus and convert it to other voltages.

    That 250w PSU is probably too small, then again, you may be correct.

    He should probably get a PSU with at least 30amp on the +5.0v bus and 15amps
    minimum on the +12.0v bus.

    Either way, he will make up his own mind.

Radeon Power Supplies Power ATI Graphics