Which ATI Card for a P4 2.5, w/ low Power Requirments

Andy

I have a P4 2.5, and 512 megs of ram. I'm in need of a new video
card. I have no experience with ATI cards, but want to give them a
try. My other problem is my power supply is only 250 watts. Should I
just wait until I can replace the power supply and get a better video
card, or is there an ATI model that will still work ok? Mostly into
FPS, (not that many though) Flight Sims, and Racing. (NR2003 mostly)
Thanks,
Andy

bill

I have the same setup except 1GB RAM and went with the ATI9600XT. No power
connection required and installation was a snap. I use Flight Sim 2004 for
gaming exclusively and am pleased with the card. Only thing is when looking
left and right from the 2D cockpit the repaint/draw is somewhat slow.

Bill

"Andy" <andy@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a P4 2.5, and 512 megs of ram. I'm in need of a new video
> card. I have no experience with ATI cards, but want to give them a
> try. My other problem is my power supply is only 250 watts. Should I
> just wait until I can replace the power supply and get a better video
> card, or is there an ATI model that will still work ok? Mostly into
> FPS, (not that many though) Flight Sims, and Racing. (NR2003 mostly)
> Thanks,
> Andy

Bill, the power comes from the PSU.
I think you missed it.
He should definately upgrade his PSU first.

"Bill" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> I have the same setup except 1GB RAM and went with the ATI9600XT. No
power
> connection required and installation was a snap. I use Flight Sim 2004 for
> gaming exclusively and am pleased with the card. Only thing is when
looking
> left and right from the 2D cockpit the repaint/draw is somewhat slow.
>
> Bill
>

> "Andy" <andy@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > I have a P4 2.5, and 512 megs of ram. I'm in need of a new video
> > card. I have no experience with ATI cards, but want to give them a
> > try. My other problem is my power supply is only 250 watts. Should I
> > just wait until I can replace the power supply and get a better video
> > card, or is there an ATI model that will still work ok? Mostly into
> > FPS, (not that many though) Flight Sims, and Racing. (NR2003 mostly)
> > Thanks,
> > Andy

bill

Yes I understand and knew that. My point is with a 250W PSU you can use the
9600XT with no problem and no need to upgrade the PSU. The 9600XT does not
require a power connection or PSU better than 250W. Other high end cards
recommend 350WPSU and do require a power connection to the PSU

If he isnt ready or willing to upgrade the PSU then the 9600XT is a good
choice.
Hope I explained it better.
Bill

> Bill, the power comes from the PSU.
> I think you missed it.
> He should definately upgrade his PSU first.
>
> "Bill" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> > I have the same setup except 1GB RAM and went with the ATI9600XT. No
> power
> > connection required and installation was a snap. I use Flight Sim 2004
for
> > gaming exclusively and am pleased with the card. Only thing is when
> looking
> > left and right from the 2D cockpit the repaint/draw is somewhat slow.
> >
> > Bill
> >

> > "Andy" <andy@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a P4 2.5, and 512 megs of ram. I'm in need of a new video
> > > card. I have no experience with ATI cards, but want to give them a
> > > try. My other problem is my power supply is only 250 watts. Should I
> > > just wait until I can replace the power supply and get a better video
> > > card, or is there an ATI model that will still work ok? Mostly into
> > > FPS, (not that many though) Flight Sims, and Racing. (NR2003 mostly)
> > > Thanks,
> > > Andy

Andy

On Sat, 1 May 2004 04:37:22 -0400, "Bill" <not@home.com> wrote:

>Yes I understand and knew that. My point is with a 250W PSU you can use the
>9600XT with no problem and no need to upgrade the PSU. The 9600XT does not
>require a power connection or PSU better than 250W. Other high end cards
>recommend 350WPSU and do require a power connection to the PSU
>
>If he isnt ready or willing to upgrade the PSU then the 9600XT is a good
>choice.
>Hope I explained it better.
>Bill

Thanks Bill. That was the way I understood it. (that the 9600XT
doesn't require power from the power supply.) I still might just wait
and upgrade the PSU anyway, then opt for one of the higher end ATI
cards. I just don't want to "waste" my money on a video card that is
also going to be limited by my CPU. (P4 2.5)
Thanks again,

> On Sat, 1 May 2004 04:37:22 -0400, "Bill" <not@home.com> wrote:
>
> >Yes I understand and knew that. My point is with a 250W PSU you can use
the
> >9600XT with no problem and no need to upgrade the PSU. The 9600XT does
not
> >require a power connection or PSU better than 250W. Other high end cards
> >recommend 350WPSU and do require a power connection to the PSU
> >
> >If he isnt ready or willing to upgrade the PSU then the 9600XT is a good
> >choice.
> >Hope I explained it better.
> >Bill
>
> Thanks Bill. That was the way I understood it. (that the 9600XT
> doesn't require power from the power supply.) I still might just wait
> and upgrade the PSU anyway, then opt for one of the higher end ATI
> cards. I just don't want to "waste" my money on a video card that is
> also going to be limited by my CPU. (P4 2.5)
> Thanks again,
> Andy

Thats a good approach Andy. I see too many people getting high end cards for
under powered CPU's as well as PSU's and then complain.

Good luck

Bill

"Andy" <andy@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 1 May 2004 04:37:22 -0400, "Bill" <not@home.com> wrote:
>
> >Yes I understand and knew that. My point is with a 250W PSU you can use
the
> >9600XT with no problem and no need to upgrade the PSU. The 9600XT does
not
> >require a power connection or PSU better than 250W. Other high end cards
> >recommend 350WPSU and do require a power connection to the PSU
> >
> >If he isnt ready or willing to upgrade the PSU then the 9600XT is a good
> >choice.
> >Hope I explained it better.
> >Bill
>
> Thanks Bill. That was the way I understood it. (that the 9600XT
> doesn't require power from the power supply.) I still might just wait
> and upgrade the PSU anyway, then opt for one of the higher end ATI
> cards. I just don't want to "waste" my money on a video card that is
> also going to be limited by my CPU. (P4 2.5)
> Thanks again,
> Andy

All components in the PC draw their power from the PSU, except for the PSU
itself.
Does the 9600XT draw power from wall socket?

bill

> "Andy" <andy@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 1 May 2004 04:37:22 -0400, "Bill" <not@home.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Yes I understand and knew that. My point is with a 250W PSU you can use
> the
> > >9600XT with no problem and no need to upgrade the PSU. The 9600XT does
> not
> > >require a power connection or PSU better than 250W. Other high end
cards
> > >recommend 350WPSU and do require a power connection to the PSU
> > >
> > >If he isnt ready or willing to upgrade the PSU then the 9600XT is a
good
> > >choice.
> > >Hope I explained it better.
> > >Bill
> >
> > Thanks Bill. That was the way I understood it. (that the 9600XT
> > doesn't require power from the power supply.) I still might just wait
> > and upgrade the PSU anyway, then opt for one of the higher end ATI
> > cards. I just don't want to "waste" my money on a video card that is
> > also going to be limited by my CPU. (P4 2.5)
> > Thanks again,
> > Andy
>
> All components in the PC draw their power from the PSU, except for the PSU
> itself.
> Does the 9600XT draw power from wall socket?

No it draws it from the PSU but you DONT need to run a separate power
connector like the other high end cards...thats a little wire with
connectors on both ends..one runs from the card and the other to the PSU . I
can draw a diagram if it would help. And like I said it doesnt need more
than a 250W PSU.

> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > "Andy" <andy@nospam.com> wrote in message

> > the
> > not
> cards

> good
> > >
> > > Thanks Bill. That was the way I understood it. (that the 9600XT
> > > doesn't require power from the power supply.) I still might just wait
> > > and upgrade the PSU anyway, then opt for one of the higher end ATI
> > > cards. I just don't want to "waste" my money on a video card that is
> > > also going to be limited by my CPU. (P4 2.5)
> > > Thanks again,
> > > Andy
> >
> > All components in the PC draw their power from the PSU, except for the
PSU
> > itself.
> > Does the 9600XT draw power from wall socket?
> >
> No it draws it from the PSU but you DONT need to run a separate power
> connector like the other high end cards...thats a little wire with
> connectors on both ends..one runs from the card and the other to the PSU .
> can draw a diagram if it would help. And like I said it doesnt need more
> than a 250W PSU.

That all depends on how much the other devices draw and what voltage bus the
vid card draws from.

I know about the separate connector:(used to take the load off the MB and
supply more power than the MB transformers or circuity can, if needed).

Some MB's draw a lot off their 5v bus and convert it to other voltages.

That 250w PSU is probably too small, then again, you may be correct.

He should probably get a PSU with at least 30amp on the +5.0v bus and 15amps
minimum on the +12.0v bus.

Either way, he will make up his own mind.