  • Computers
  • User Accounts
  • Windows XP
January 4, 2005 9:27:02 PM

I have several accounts on my WinXP Home box. 2 are "Computer administrator"
accounts named "Admin" and "Admin2". The rest are "Limited" accounts.

I do not see a "Computer administrator" account with the name of
"Administrator" when I access User Accounts from Control Pannel. However, I
sometimes see "Administrator" listed along with my "Admin" and "Admin2"
accounts from other programs, such as Norton Internet Security (NIS).

When I run NIS to review the security settings for accounts, "Administrator"
shows up in the list.

Does an account named "Administrator" really exist? If so, why can't I see
it from User Accounts? Is there any to get access to it?

Thanks - Dave

More about : invisible administrator account

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 5, 2005 12:36:21 AM

Dave;
Yes it exists and it is hidden.
To access:
Reboot to safe mode
Reboot tapping F8 each second.
Select Safe Mode at the menu.
From the next screen you can select Administrator.
Since the Administrator should not be routinely used this arrangement is
normally OK.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

>I have several accounts on my WinXP Home box. 2 are "Computer
>administrator"
> accounts named "Admin" and "Admin2". The rest are "Limited" accounts.
>
> I do not see a "Computer administrator" account with the name of
> "Administrator" when I access User Accounts from Control Pannel. However,
> sometimes see "Administrator" listed along with my "Admin" and "Admin2"
> accounts from other programs, such as Norton Internet Security (NIS).
>
> When I run NIS to review the security settings for accounts,
> "Administrator"
> shows up in the list.
>
> Does an account named "Administrator" really exist? If so, why can't I
> see
> it from User Accounts? Is there any to get access to it?
>
> Thanks - Dave

January 5, 2005 1:19:07 AM

Jupiter,

Thanks for the quick response and good information. Is the Administrator
account password protected? If so, how do I get/set the password? If not,
should it be?

Dave

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Dave;
> Yes it exists and it is hidden.
> To access:
> Reboot to safe mode
> Reboot tapping F8 each second.
> Select Safe Mode at the menu.
> From the next screen you can select Administrator.
> Since the Administrator should not be routinely used this arrangement is
> normally OK.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have several accounts on my WinXP Home box. 2 are "Computer
> >administrator"
> > accounts named "Admin" and "Admin2". The rest are "Limited" accounts.
> >
> > I do not see a "Computer administrator" account with the name of
> > "Administrator" when I access User Accounts from Control Pannel. However,
> > sometimes see "Administrator" listed along with my "Admin" and "Admin2"
> > accounts from other programs, such as Norton Internet Security (NIS).
> >
> > When I run NIS to review the security settings for accounts,
> > "Administrator"
> > shows up in the list.
> >
> > Does an account named "Administrator" really exist? If so, why can't I
> > see
> > it from User Accounts? Is there any to get access to it?
> >
> > Thanks - Dave

a b 8 Security
January 5, 2005 2:45:51 AM

No, it is not unless you passworded it.
And yes you should password the Administrator as well as all other accounts
with Administrator access.

--

> Jupiter,
>
> Thanks for the quick response and good information. Is the Administrator
> account password protected? If so, how do I get/set the password? If
> not,
> should it be?
>
> Dave
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Dave;
>> Yes it exists and it is hidden.
>> To access:
>> Reboot to safe mode
>> Reboot tapping F8 each second.
>> Select Safe Mode at the menu.
>> From the next screen you can select Administrator.
>> Since the Administrator should not be routinely used this arrangement is
>> normally OK.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>>

>> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have several accounts on my WinXP Home box. 2 are "Computer
>> >administrator"
>> > accounts named "Admin" and "Admin2". The rest are "Limited" accounts.
>> >
>> > I do not see a "Computer administrator" account with the name of
>> > "Administrator" when I access User Accounts from Control Pannel.
>> > However,
>> > sometimes see "Administrator" listed along with my "Admin" and "Admin2"
>> > accounts from other programs, such as Norton Internet Security (NIS).
>> >
>> > When I run NIS to review the security settings for accounts,
>> > "Administrator"
>> > shows up in the list.
>> >
>> > Does an account named "Administrator" really exist? If so, why can't I
>> > see
>> > it from User Accounts? Is there any to get access to it?
>> >
>> > Thanks - Dave

January 5, 2005 6:03:03 PM

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> No, it is not unless you passworded it.
> And yes you should password the Administrator as well as all other accounts
> with Administrator access.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jupiter,
> >
> > Thanks for the quick response and good information. Is the Administrator
> > account password protected? If so, how do I get/set the password? If
> > not,
> > should it be?
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Dave;
> >> Yes it exists and it is hidden.
> >> To access:
> >> Reboot to safe mode
> >> Reboot tapping F8 each second.
> >> Select Safe Mode at the menu.
> >> From the next screen you can select Administrator.
> >> Since the Administrator should not be routinely used this arrangement is
> >> normally OK.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
> >>

> >> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

January 5, 2005 6:11:02 PM

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> No, it is not unless you passworded it.
> And yes you should password the Administrator as well as all other accounts
> with Administrator access.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jupiter,
> >
> > Thanks for the quick response and good information. Is the Administrator
> > account password protected? If so, how do I get/set the password? If
> > not,
> > should it be?
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Dave;
> >> Yes it exists and it is hidden.
> >> To access:
> >> Reboot to safe mode
> >> Reboot tapping F8 each second.
> >> Select Safe Mode at the menu.
> >> From the next screen you can select Administrator.
> >> Since the Administrator should not be routinely used this arrangement is
> >> normally OK.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
> >>

> >> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hello,
Have problem like daves only I'm the only account name, no opption of adding
accounts or changing account status.
I tried the safe mode fix only choice on next screen however is what
operating system to boot with. Os has also been slugish and probematic as
well.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
joe
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 6, 2005 2:04:11 AM

Joe;
Try tapping F8 after you choose which operating system

--

"joe" <joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Have problem like daves only I'm the only account name, no opption of
> adding
> accounts or changing account status.
> I tried the safe mode fix only choice on next screen however is what
> operating system to boot with. Os has also been slugish and probematic as
> well.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> joe
January 6, 2005 7:51:06 AM

Jupiter Jones,
I tried F8 key again this time after choosing os. It eventually boots in
safe mode after it frreezes compiling drivers. Tried three times, mouse
driver failed each time.
So i was unable to go forword.Thanks for all the help allready, is there
anything else I could try?

Thanks again
Joe

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Joe;
> Try tapping F8 after you choose which operating system
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "joe" <joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > Have problem like daves only I'm the only account name, no opption of
> > adding
> > accounts or changing account status.
> > I tried the safe mode fix only choice on next screen however is what
> > operating system to boot with. Os has also been slugish and probematic as
> > well.
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > joe

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 6, 2005 11:21:17 PM

Joe;
What kind of mouse?
If you are using a USB, try a PS2 mouse.
Disconnect all other unnecessary peripherals such as printer, scanner,
camera etc.

--

!