Solved

Dell Studio XPS 435MT upgrade to Windows 8

Has anyone upgrades the XPS 435 MT from win7 to Windows 8? Dell does not recommend doing this but does not say why.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dell studio 435mt upgrade windows
  1. Upgrading to Win 8 should not be an issue. I am sure Dell's recommendation is based on driver (provided by them) support, or the lack thereof. This is a fairly "generic" system, so Win 8 will likely have driver support built-in for nearly all of your devices.

Have you run the Win 8 Upgrade Assistant on your system?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8
  2. COLGeek said:
    Upgrading to Win 8 should not be an issue. I am sure Dell's recommendation is based on driver (provided by them) support, or the lack thereof. This is a fairly "generic" system, so Win 8 will likely have driver support built-in for nearly all of your devices.

Have you run the Win 8 Upgrade Assistant on your system?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Yes, and I read everything on this thread so I realize that it could be one of a hundred items causing windows 8 to fail to install. I tried Dell and all I got from them was that if I paid $129.00 they would install it for me. I called MS tech support and they said that I would need to buy the Win 8 CD and do a clean install. I suppose they will not refund the money that I paid for the download?

Thanks for the quick reply to my question.

Ed J.
  3. Best answer
    No, I am sure no refund is in your future. Sorry.

A full/clean install would be better in the long run anyway. Also, more expensive.
  4. The question to ask yourselves is there a good reason to upgrade to windows 8. Just because it out, doesn't mean you have to upgrade to it. There will still be windows 7 support for a long long time.
  5. rgd1101 said:
    The question to ask yourselves is there a good reason to upgrade to windows 8. Just because it out, doesn't mean you have to upgrade to it. There will still be windows 7 support for a long long time.

Could not have said any better. +1
  6. I am in my 70's and love life, I like to try new things, I sit at my computer several hours every day. I even watch TV on it! I also like to know how things work or in this case not work? MS tells me that the problem is that I purchased the computer in the US but now I am in Europe and bought the win 8 download here in Europe and that is why it will not install, I think this is BS and they do not know what is the real problem. I guess I will try a clean install only I'm afraid of losing win7. It was a Dell free upgrade from win vista.
  7. Best answer selected by retired4good956.
  8. An upgrade should work fine and retain your files. Just back up your stuff in advance, just in case.

BTW, I love the attitude. One can never be too old to learn and enjoy life.
  9. Just tried to install Win 8 64 bit (clean) on Dell 435mt and failed. No error messages during installs - just the final reboot after finishing off said sorry win 8 not compatible with pc. Have gone back to Vista 64 bit. Will reassess again in the future.
  10. Windows 8 will certainly run on a XPS 435MT. See here for some clues:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19474096.aspx

What will not work in the Secure Boot feature. Otherwise, you may just have to seek "generic" vice Dell-provided drivers for your various installed devices.
  11. Thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Studio Xps Windows 8