Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell Studio XPS 435MT upgrade to Windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
November 8, 2012 5:13:11 PM

Has anyone upgrades the XPS 435 MT from win7 to Windows 8? Dell does not recommend doing this but does not say why.
a b * Windows 8
November 8, 2012 5:52:56 PM

Upgrading to Win 8 should not be an issue. I am sure Dell's recommendation is based on driver (provided by them) support, or the lack thereof. This is a fairly "generic" system, so Win 8 will likely have driver support built-in for nearly all of your devices.

Have you run the Win 8 Upgrade Assistant on your system?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to...
m
l
November 9, 2012 3:04:28 PM

COLGeek said:
Upgrading to Win 8 should not be an issue. I am sure Dell's recommendation is based on driver (provided by them) support, or the lack thereof. This is a fairly "generic" system, so Win 8 will likely have driver support built-in for nearly all of your devices.

Have you run the Win 8 Upgrade Assistant on your system?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to...

Yes, and I read everything on this thread so I realize that it could be one of a hundred items causing windows 8 to fail to install. I tried Dell and all I got from them was that if I paid $129.00 they would install it for me. I called MS tech support and they said that I would need to buy the Win 8 CD and do a clean install. I suppose they will not refund the money that I paid for the download?

Thanks for the quick reply to my question.

Ed J.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
November 9, 2012 4:38:13 PM

No, I am sure no refund is in your future. Sorry.

A full/clean install would be better in the long run anyway. Also, more expensive.
a b * Windows 8
November 9, 2012 5:48:05 PM

The question to ask yourselves is there a good reason to upgrade to windows 8. Just because it out, doesn't mean you have to upgrade to it. There will still be windows 7 support for a long long time.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 9, 2012 7:38:12 PM

rgd1101 said:
The question to ask yourselves is there a good reason to upgrade to windows 8. Just because it out, doesn't mean you have to upgrade to it. There will still be windows 7 support for a long long time.

Could not have said any better. +1
m
l
November 10, 2012 4:02:31 PM

I am in my 70's and love life, I like to try new things, I sit at my computer several hours every day. I even watch TV on it! I also like to know how things work or in this case not work? MS tells me that the problem is that I purchased the computer in the US but now I am in Europe and bought the win 8 download here in Europe and that is why it will not install, I think this is BS and they do not know what is the real problem. I guess I will try a clean install only I'm afraid of losing win7. It was a Dell free upgrade from win vista.
m
l
November 15, 2012 4:31:34 PM

Best answer selected by retired4good956.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 15, 2012 4:40:37 PM

An upgrade should work fine and retain your files. Just back up your stuff in advance, just in case.

BTW, I love the attitude. One can never be too old to learn and enjoy life.
m
l
June 20, 2013 2:37:20 AM

Just tried to install Win 8 64 bit (clean) on Dell 435mt and failed. No error messages during installs - just the final reboot after finishing off said sorry win 8 not compatible with pc. Have gone back to Vista 64 bit. Will reassess again in the future.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
June 20, 2013 9:44:11 AM

Windows 8 will certainly run on a XPS 435MT. See here for some clues:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os...

What will not work in the Secure Boot feature. Otherwise, you may just have to seek "generic" vice Dell-provided drivers for your various installed devices.
m
l
June 20, 2013 10:01:09 PM

Thanks!
m
l
!