Network resyncs every 15-20 minutes

I have an interesting problem that recently started (a few days ago). My
laptop routinely pops up with the "One or more wireless networks found" box.
During this point in time, I am effectively kicked off the network until I
rejoin my network, which takes about 15-30 seconds. In another 15-20
minutes, I get booted again.

The best I can figure is my neighbors have a wireless network (it appears
two different neighbors as I get unWEPed, unWPAed networks called "linksys"
and "wireless" from time to time).

My question is whether you can tell the connection to ignore other networks?
or, perhaps this is indicative of another problem?

Using the Microsoft Wireless G card and router.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Tue, 4 May 2004 12:14:07 -0500, "Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)"
<NoSpamMgbworld@comcast.netNoSpamM> wrote:

>I have an interesting problem that recently started (a few days ago). My
>laptop routinely pops up with the "One or more wireless networks found" box.
>During this point in time, I am effectively kicked off the network until I
>rejoin my network, which takes about 15-30 seconds. In another 15-20
>minutes, I get booted again.
>
>The best I can figure is my neighbors have a wireless network (it appears
>two different neighbors as I get unWEPed, unWPAed networks called "linksys"
>and "wireless" from time to time).
>
>My question is whether you can tell the connection to ignore other networks?
>or, perhaps this is indicative of another problem?
>

>Using the Microsoft Wireless G card and router.

Cowboy,

Is your SSID broadcast disabled? Enable it - disabling it produces only very
slight security - similar to an ostrich burying its head in the sand.

And turn off "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks".

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811427
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wifisoho.mspx

Cheers,
Chuck

I have already set the Broadcast on and clicked off the "do not connect". In
addition, I changed the channel of the network and the preferred channel for
the card. But, I am still getting booted. I wonder if there is a way to
hardwire a channel, as the network is firmly grounded on a channnel other
than default, while the neighbors are both Channel 6.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!
"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 4 May 2004 12:14:07 -0500, "Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)"
> <NoSpamMgbworld@comcast.netNoSpamM> wrote:
>
> >I have an interesting problem that recently started (a few days ago). My
> >laptop routinely pops up with the "One or more wireless networks found"
box.
> >During this point in time, I am effectively kicked off the network until
> >rejoin my network, which takes about 15-30 seconds. In another 15-20
> >minutes, I get booted again.
> >
> >The best I can figure is my neighbors have a wireless network (it appears
> >two different neighbors as I get unWEPed, unWPAed networks called
"linksys"
> >and "wireless" from time to time).
> >
> >My question is whether you can tell the connection to ignore other
networks?
> >or, perhaps this is indicative of another problem?
> >

> >Using the Microsoft Wireless G card and router.
>
> Cowboy,
>
> Is your SSID broadcast disabled? Enable it - disabling it produces only
very
> slight security - similar to an ostrich burying its head in the sand.
>
> And turn off "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks".
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811427

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wifisoho.mspx

> Cheers,
> Chuck
> Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Get it on the network and turn off the WZC. Then, you do not get booted. I
will have to remember to turn it back on if I take the laptop somewhere
where they have a network, but it works fine on mine for now.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!
"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <NoSpamMgbworld@comcast.netNoSpamM> wrote in
message news:ONN3wsfMEHA.2532@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I have an interesting problem that recently started (a few days ago). My
> laptop routinely pops up with the "One or more wireless networks found"
box.
> During this point in time, I am effectively kicked off the network until I
> rejoin my network, which takes about 15-30 seconds. In another 15-20
> minutes, I get booted again.
>
> The best I can figure is my neighbors have a wireless network (it appears
> two different neighbors as I get unWEPed, unWPAed networks called
"linksys"
> and "wireless" from time to time).
>
> My question is whether you can tell the connection to ignore other
networks?
> or, perhaps this is indicative of another problem?
>

> Using the Microsoft Wireless G card and router.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

> Think Outside the Box!

newbie

I have the same problem, I get kicked off every 15-20 minute! how can I turn the wzc off??? thanks!