Password Protect Shared Folder?

Is there a way to password protect a shared folder? Previous versions of
Windows supported the ability to assign a password at the time a folder was
shared and a name assigned.

Thanks - Dave
3 answers Last reply
More about password protect shared folder

    Windows XP does not have the capability to password-protect
    an individual file or folder. Instead, read the following:

    HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399&Product=winxp

    You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286&Product=winxp

    How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Dave" wrote:

    | Is there a way to password protect a shared folder? Previous versions of
    | Windows supported the ability to assign a password at the time a folder was
    | shared and a name assigned.
    |
    | Thanks - Dave

    Carey,

    Thanks for the quick response and good information. Just curious, do you
    think MS removed that capability, which was in previoius versions of Windows,
    to encourage users to move to Professional and implement Domains?

    Dave

    Dave wrote:
    > Thanks for the quick response and good information. Just curious, do
    > you think MS removed that capability, which was in previoius versions
    > of Windows, to encourage users to move to Professional and implement
    > Domains?

    The Windows 9x/ME line of products died with WinME and the NT line continued
    on.
    (95, 98, ME) (NT, 2000, XP, 2003)

    So the capability you speak of was never present in the line of Windows
    products to survive to the current time. XP Home does not have the
    capability to join domains, so that definitely has nothing to do with the
    lack of the feature you speak of.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

Security Microsoft Windows XP