Password Protect Shared Folder?

January 4, 2005 9:39:03 PM

Is there a way to password protect a shared folder? Previous versions of
Windows supported the ability to assign a password at the time a folder was
shared and a name assigned.

Thanks - Dave
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 5, 2005 12:52:34 AM

Windows XP does not have the capability to password-protect
an individual file or folder. Instead, read the following:

HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399&Product=winxp

You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286&Product=winxp

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Dave" wrote:

| Is there a way to password protect a shared folder? Previous versions of
| Windows supported the ability to assign a password at the time a folder was
| shared and a name assigned.
|
| Thanks - Dave
January 5, 2005 1:23:03 AM

Carey,

Thanks for the quick response and good information. Just curious, do you
think MS removed that capability, which was in previoius versions of Windows,
to encourage users to move to Professional and implement Domains?

Dave

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Windows XP does not have the capability to password-protect
> an individual file or folder. Instead, read the following:
>
> HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399&Product=winxp
>
> You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286&Product=winxp
>
> How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> "Dave" wrote:
>
> | Is there a way to password protect a shared folder? Previous versions of
> | Windows supported the ability to assign a password at the time a folder was
> | shared and a name assigned.
> |
> | Thanks - Dave

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 5, 2005 3:38:52 AM

Dave wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response and good information. Just curious, do
> you think MS removed that capability, which was in previoius versions
> of Windows, to encourage users to move to Professional and implement
> Domains?

The Windows 9x/ME line of products died with WinME and the NT line continued
on.
(95, 98, ME) (NT, 2000, XP, 2003)

So the capability you speak of was never present in the line of Windows
products to survive to the current time. XP Home does not have the
capability to join domains, so that definitely has nothing to do with the
lack of the feature you speak of.

--
<- Shenan ->