unable to remove programs with add/remove

I have three programs,added by spyware I suspect,that I am unable to remove
with add/remove programs.When I click on remove,it directs me to a website
with an uninstall program that does nothing.The programs are Home Search
Assistent,Shopping Wizard and YourSiteBar.
1 answer Last reply
More about unable remove programs remove

    Derek wrote:

    > I have three programs,added by spyware I suspect,that I am unable to
    > remove with add/remove programs.When I click on remove,it directs me
    > to a website with an uninstall program that does nothing.The programs
    > are Home Search Assistent,Shopping Wizard and YourSiteBar.

    Yes, these malware programs need to be removed differently. Here are
    removal steps. Do everything with updated tools in Safe Mode:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2003)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and disable hijackers, but
    it requires expert skill. See below for HijackThis links. A combination
    of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the About:Blank
    homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get
    help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
    must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
    the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
    Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy