IE6 default homepage

Hi, i use IE 6 on xp-pro sp2...on the Internet Options window of IE, all
three buttons to change the homepage are disabled, namely "Use current","Use
blank" and "Use blank", the textbox for homepage is also disabled...i use
spybot to remove any chances of spyware and it doesnt help...i appreciate
your help.
11 answers Last reply
More about default homepage

    Spybot removes spyware, not viruses, trojans and home page hijackers.

    Get a good anti-virus product and run it. You most likely have a virus.

    Scott M. wrote:

    > Spybot removes spyware, not viruses, trojans and home page hijackers.
    >
    > Get a good anti-virus product and run it. You most likely have a
    > virus.
    >
    > "Prasanna" <Prasanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, i use IE 6 on xp-pro sp2...on the Internet Options window of IE,
    >> all three buttons to change the homepage are disabled, namely "Use
    >> current","Use
    >> blank" and "Use blank", the textbox for homepage is also disabled...i
    >> use spybot to remove any chances of spyware and it doesnt help...i
    >> appreciate your help.

    The about:blank problem is caused by spyware, not viruses - although of
    course the OP should have a current version (not earlier than 2003) av
    installed with an updated subscription.

    Prasanna - here are malware removal instructions. You need more than
    just Spybot to remove the about:blank problem. A combination of
    About:Buster and HijackThis works well, but those are expert tools.
    Read what I've listed below, and if you are going to use HijackThis go
    to the links for the tutorial and where to post your log. Do all
    removal work with updated tools in Safe Mode.

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2003)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and disable hijackers, but
    it requires expert skill. See below for HijackThis links. A combination
    of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the About:Blank
    homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get
    help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
    must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
    the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
    Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
    http://www.majorgeeks.com - good download site
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners

    HijackThis:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
    Eshelman
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
    forum
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/

    General:
    http://forum.aumha.org/ - look under "Security" for various forums
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Hijackers are not spyware, they are trojans and/or viruses. And the OP can
    have an AV older than 2003. As long as the virus definitions are up to
    date, your software can be 10 years old.

    "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).
    >
    > HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and disable hijackers, but
    > it requires expert skill. See below for HijackThis links. A combination
    > of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the About:Blank
    > homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get
    > help with it.
    >
    > 3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    > Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
    > must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
    > the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
    > Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).
    >
    > 4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    > patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    Not totally true.

    Just look at the items listed in Spybot - S & D's database...

    Spybot - S & D | Settings | Ignore Products |
    Hijackers tab & Trojans tab

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:e%23tJrzz8EHA.3124@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Scott M. <s-mar@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:
    > Spybot removes spyware, not viruses, trojans and home page hijackers.
    >
    > Get a good anti-virus product and run it. You most likely have a
    > virus.
    >
    > "Prasanna" <Prasanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, i use IE 6 on xp-pro sp2...on the Internet Options window of IE,
    >> all three buttons to change the homepage are disabled, namely "Use
    >> current","Use
    >> blank" and "Use blank", the textbox for homepage is also
    >> disabled...i use spybot to remove any chances of spyware and it
    >> doesnt help...i appreciate your help.

    Im afraid none of the solutions offered thus far have helped. the buttons are
    still disabled.

    prasanna.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Not totally true.
    >
    > Just look at the items listed in Spybot - S & D's database...
    >
    > Spybot - S & D | Settings | Ignore Products |
    > Hijackers tab & Trojans tab
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:e%23tJrzz8EHA.3124@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    > Scott M. <s-mar@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:
    > > Spybot removes spyware, not viruses, trojans and home page hijackers.
    > >
    > > Get a good anti-virus product and run it. You most likely have a
    > > virus.
    > >
    > > "Prasanna" <Prasanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi, i use IE 6 on xp-pro sp2...on the Internet Options window of IE,
    > >> all three buttons to change the homepage are disabled, namely "Use
    > >> current","Use
    > >> blank" and "Use blank", the textbox for homepage is also
    > >> disabled...i use spybot to remove any chances of spyware and it
    > >> doesnt help...i appreciate your help.

    Is this a work pc or a home pc?

    > Im afraid none of the solutions offered thus far have helped. the buttons
    > are
    > still disabled.
    >
    > prasanna.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Not totally true.
    >>
    >> Just look at the items listed in Spybot - S & D's database...
    >>
    >> Spybot - S & D | Settings | Ignore Products |
    >> Hijackers tab & Trojans tab
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:e%23tJrzz8EHA.3124@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    >> Scott M. <s-mar@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:
    >> > Spybot removes spyware, not viruses, trojans and home page hijackers.
    >> >
    >> > Get a good anti-virus product and run it. You most likely have a
    >> > virus.
    >> >
    >> > "Prasanna" <Prasanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    hi, thankyou for everything. A friend of mine offered his services to solve
    my problem. its solved now.

    "Scott M." wrote:

    > Is this a work pc or a home pc?
    >

    > "Prasanna" <Prasanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Im afraid none of the solutions offered thus far have helped. the buttons
    > > are
    > > still disabled.
    > >
    > > prasanna.
    > >
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Not totally true.
    > >>
    > >> Just look at the items listed in Spybot - S & D's database...
    > >>
    > >> Spybot - S & D | Settings | Ignore Products |
    > >> Hijackers tab & Trojans tab
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >> Wes
    > >>
    > >> In news:e%23tJrzz8EHA.3124@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    > >> Scott M. <s-mar@nospam.nospam> hunted and pecked:

    How about sharing the solution so that others with the same problem might
    also be helped?

    > hi, thankyou for everything. A friend of mine offered his services to
    > solve
    > my problem. its solved now.
    >
    > "Scott M." wrote:
    >
    >> Is this a work pc or a home pc?
    >>

    >> "Prasanna" <Prasanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Im afraid none of the solutions offered thus far have helped. the
    >> > buttons
    >> > are
    >> > still disabled.
    >> >
    >> > prasanna.

    sure. it looks like my problem was wrongly identified as being "about:blank
    hijack"...my problem was that the default homepage textbox and the three
    buttons associated with it namely "Use blank","use current" and "use
    default" were disabled....Spybot s&d has option to Lock IE start page at
    Tools->Ie Tweaks....this option was checked on my system.once i uncheck it,
    my prob is gone. i guess this must be default option with spybot s&d.

    "Scott M." wrote:

    > How about sharing the solution so that others with the same problem might
    > also be helped?
    >

    > "Prasanna" <Prasanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > hi, thankyou for everything. A friend of mine offered his services to
    > > solve
    > > my problem. its solved now.
    > >
    > > "Scott M." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is this a work pc or a home pc?
    > >>

    > >> "Prasanna" <Prasanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I have the identical problem, but do not have spybot. Any suggestions as to
    how solve this if there's no spybot installed? This only happens on my log
    in page, not the other user's.
    "Prasanna" wrote:

    > Hi, i use IE 6 on xp-pro sp2...on the Internet Options window of IE, all
    > three buttons to change the homepage are disabled, namely "Use current","Use
    > blank" and "Use blank", the textbox for homepage is also disabled...i use
    > spybot to remove any chances of spyware and it doesnt help...i appreciate
    > your help.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    You have been hijacked, you have scumware...

    Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2.

    First. Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you
    answering YES. (Except what may install as part of some other software.)
    Don't click YES if you don't know/trust the source.

    Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
    Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

    Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
    components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
    perform a particular task.]]

    Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
    page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
    particular task.]]

    Apply | OK

    Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    Is part of the driveby downloading of unwanted programs. i.e. Scumware or
    whatever will install w/o you even being aware of it.
    =====

    Second. If you need a scan right now.

    Follow the instructions!
    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    =====

    Third.
    It is known as scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.
    Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
    good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
    just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates. Without updates,
    you have a gun without ammo. You also need to use more than one
    anti scumware program. One program will *not* catch everything.

    1) CWShredder ver. 1.59 direct download:

    1a) CWShredder ver. 2.0 direct download:
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

    2) SpywareBlaster
    [[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
    ever being installed.
    The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
    SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.]]

    3) Spybot S & D (More for the advanced user)
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

    4) HijackThis (More for the advanced user)

    4a) HijackThis (direct download)
    http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

    5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

    6) ToolbarCop
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

    7) Ad-aware SE Personal

    =====

    HijackThis log tutorial
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

    HijackThis Log Tutorial
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

    How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42#warning

    How To Install Spybot Search and Destroy & a brief tutorial
    http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/index1.php

    HOW TO: Reconfigure Ad-aware for a Full Scan
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877
    =====

    MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

    Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    =====

    Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems.phtml

    Additional information & instructions.
    A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    THE PARASITE FIGHT
    Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315

    Spyware and Deceptive Software
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.mspx?gssnb=1

    What you should know about spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    Cleaning Up XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cleanup

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:952E8FAA-78D7-4210-B1A6-2276F766EA77@microsoft.com,
    Connie <Connie@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I have the identical problem, but do not have spybot. Any
    > suggestions as to how solve this if there's no spybot installed?
    > This only happens on my log in page, not the other user's.
    > "Prasanna" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, i use IE 6 on xp-pro sp2...on the Internet Options window of IE,
    >> all three buttons to change the homepage are disabled, namely "Use
    >> current","Use blank" and "Use blank", the textbox for homepage is
    >> also disabled...i use spybot to remove any chances of spyware and it
    >> doesnt help...i appreciate your help.

Default Internet Explorer Windows XP