Issues Connecting to Network

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I have a laptop running Windows XP Professional that is set up for wireless networking. I have never had a problem connecting to any wireless network except for the one my friend has set up at her apartment. It either works very slowly or not at all. My wireless card is an Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter. I spoke with the manufacturer of my laptop who said I need to update my driver for my wireless card using my Windows XP CD. The system found no better drivers than the one I was using - whatever that means. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have also called the manufacturer of her router and changed some settings - all to no avail. Help - this is so frustrating.

G

I think I should clarify - I'm not trying to set up a network, just to connect to the internet...

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Tue, 4 May 2004 10:41:06 -0700, Koscar <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a laptop running Windows XP Professional that is set up for wireless networking. I have never had a problem connecting to any wireless network except for the one my friend has set up at her apartment. It either works very slowly or not at all. My wireless card is an Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter. I spoke with the manufacturer of my laptop who said I need to update my driver for my wireless card using my Windows XP CD. The system found no better drivers than the one I was using - whatever that means. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have also called the manufacturer of her router and changed some settings - all to no avail. Help - this is so frustrating.

Koscar,

How well can your friend connect to the internet from her own computer? How
close to the router is she locating her computer? You?

Is there any diagnostic that comes with the card indicating signal quality?

See if your friend will try another channel on the router - if on channel 1 move
to 11, if on 11 move to 1, if on a middle channel move to 1 then 11, and see if
any improvement.

Does the router have its antennas pointed vertically or horizontally? Make sure
yours is (are) pointed the same way.

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

G

We can be sitting next to each other on the couch, each using our laptops that both work perfectly on other wireless networks, and i cannot connect whereas she can. We are located in the same room as the wireless router. We have changed channels and that doesn't work - I do think it's definitely a setting on my computer... I just don't know what to change.

TRENDING THREADS