Windows professional 64 bit 2.5gb memory fail

giu1ian0

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
Hello, can partition ram be used to upgrade from 32bit to windows professional 64 bit? my notebook has 2.5gb of physical memory, 6.89gb of virtual memory(4gb partition), and 320 HDD. windows 7 installed from my sister was an upgrade verison on a clean drive, and so windows isn't valid anymore with that product key. I ask because from school i recieved a free fresh install version of windows 7 64 bit. would their be anyway to run a 64bit if partition ram couldn't help?

r_pad

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Is there a reason you want to install windows 7 64BIT? You current system is fine runnign 32BIT because your system ram is only 2.5GB (less than 4GB) and you virtual memory isn't effected by the limitations of your windows 32bit OS

verbalizer

Distinguished

no..
it's all about physical memory in this case and you state it's only 2.5GB.
you need to stay with 32-bit.
it will run just fine..

Gimp

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010

If the op is using memory intensive programs and running multiple programs in the background more ram will be needed above the 2.5gb which i said would run but didn't state that it would run perfect as op hasn't said.

I was just trying to help but your last statement not helpful.

giu1ian0

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
i picked up the win7 86bit(a.k.a 32bit) but i want the 64bit because with windows7 32bit as we all know it limits physical RAM at 4GB but what i did not know is it also limits partition RAM too; however, partition virtual disk drive is not affected to this limitation and i wish i had a better knowledge with how to use it.

darkly scanner

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
First of all I would check if you have a 64-bit compatible CPU, if you don't then you can either upgrade or don't bother.

From what I understand, you cannot run a 64-bit OS without a 64-bit compatible CPU.

verbalizer

Distinguished

sounds like your still a little confused.
first list your unit specs and then re-think your question you need to ask.