Windows Security Center

I am running windows Xp home with SP2 and I keep on getting notified, from
the security center, that I have spyware. The problem is, I know I have
spyware, but being reminded of it every 10 minutes via either a pop up baloon
or a pop up message box is irksome and not allowing me to do any work with
it's constant interruption. Therefore, I want to know how to disable security
center from warning me about spyware (i have plenty of spyware removal
programs.)
I have already disabled the virus warning, the firewall warning, and the
automatic update warning, but can't seem to find the spyware warning to
disable. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

~Adrian
~Crimson238@excite.com

Malke

Crimson238 wrote:

> I am running windows Xp home with SP2 and I keep on getting notified,
> from the security center, that I have spyware. The problem is, I know
> I have spyware, but being reminded of it every 10 minutes via either a
> pop up baloon or a pop up message box is irksome and not allowing me
> to do any work with it's constant interruption. Therefore, I want to
> know how to disable security center from warning me about spyware (i
> have plenty of spyware removal programs.)
> I have already disabled the virus warning, the firewall warning, and
> the automatic update warning, but can't seem to find the spyware
> warning to disable. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
>
> ~Adrian

The warning about spyware is not coming from the Windows Security
Center. It is probably coming from malware already on your computer,
trying to get you to buy their worthless product. You should:

1) Disable the Messenger service (not related to any instant messenging
program) by going to Start>Run and typing (without quotes)
"services.msc" [enter]. Scroll down to the Messenger service, stop it,
and set it to Disabled. This is good to do, but only covers up the
symptoms. You need to have a firewall in place.

2) Remove the malware on your computer. You may have spyware removal
tools, but since you didn't say what they are I have no way of knowing
if they are any good. Refer to the link to MVP Eric Howes' list of
rogue anti-spyware tools at the Spyware Warrior site below. Run through
these malware removal steps, doing everything with updated tools in
Safe Mode:

1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2003)
antivirus using updated definitions.

2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and disable hijackers, but
it requires expert skill. See below for HijackThis links. A combination
of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the About:Blank
homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get
help with it.

3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).

4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

5) Run a firewall.

Links to help with malware:

Software/Methods:
http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
http://www.majorgeeks.com - good download site
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners

HijackThis:
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
Eshelman
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
forum
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/

General:
http://forum.aumha.org/ - look under "Security" for various forums
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

Also, don't post your real, unmunged email address on Usenet or
messageboards; it will get harvested by spambots and you'll get lots
(more) spam and virus-laden emails.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User