How to automatically (re)enable SP2's firewall when bootin..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello everybody,

sometime I forget to reenable the firewall after it was disabled and
wonder if there is a way to automatically enable the firewall after a
reboot. Is this possible?

Best Regards
6 answers Last reply
More about automatically enable firewall bootin
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi

    Can't you re-enable the XP Firewall via the Security Center?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "ZZT" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:crh15q$9d3$1@news.sap-ag.de...
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > sometime I forget to reenable the firewall after it was disabled and
    > wonder if there is a way to automatically enable the firewall after a
    > reboot. Is this possible?
    >
    > Best Regards
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Will Denny schrieb:

    > Can't you re-enable the XP Firewall via the Security Center?

    of course but I am lazy and forgetful ;)
    automatically reenabling would be perfect
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "ZZT" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:crh5ev$cbt$1@news.sap-ag.de...
    > Will Denny schrieb:
    >
    >> Can't you re-enable the XP Firewall via the Security Center?
    >
    > of course but I am lazy and forgetful ;)
    > automatically reenabling would be perfect

    Hi

    Once enabled it should stay enabled. It may be possible with a script file.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    ZZT wrote:

    > Will Denny schrieb:
    >
    >> Can't you re-enable the XP Firewall via the Security Center?
    >
    > of course but I am lazy and forgetful ;)
    > automatically reenabling would be perfect

    Let's address why you want to disable the firewall. Perhaps you should
    just make some exceptions for applications that need permission to get
    to the Internet? Here are some links to help you:

    Understanding Windows Firewall
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_wfintro.mspx

    Some programs don't work after SP2 - the firewall is to blame and can be
    manually configured

    Windows XP SP2 Firewall blocks offers of Remote Assistance

    Troubleshooting Windows Firewall in XPSP2
    http://tinyurl.com/3tnkt

    Manually Configuring Windows Firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0204.mspx

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    In news:crh5ev$cbt$1@news.sap-ag.de,
    ZZT <a@b.c> typed:

    > Will Denny schrieb:
    >
    >> Can't you re-enable the XP Firewall via the Security Center?
    >
    > of course but I am lazy and forgetful ;)
    > automatically reenabling would be perfect

    This makes it sound like you often disable the firewall. That's a
    very bad and dangerous thing to do. It takes only a few seconds
    of running without a firewall to get infected with things like
    Blaster or Sasser. Why are you doing it?

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi folks,

    thanks for the answers and I understand your opinion.
    Okay - I have notebook. At home I have a crossover-cable and I am sure
    nobody is trying to hack my notebook, so firewall is off due to Netbios
    and that stuff. In other environments also at work I've usually enabled
    my firewall without any exceptions for incoming connections, also ICMP
    is blocked.
    From time to time I shutdown my notebook at home and forget to re
    enable the firewall before. Thats why and of course for other reasons
    that causes the FW to be disabled I'd like to autom. reenable the FW
    each time the system boots up.

    Best Regards

Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP