How to automatically (re)enable SP2's firewall when bootin..

January 5, 2005 7:30:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello everybody,

sometime I forget to reenable the firewall after it was disabled and
wonder if there is a way to automatically enable the firewall after a
reboot. Is this possible?

Best Regards
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 7:30:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

Can't you re-enable the XP Firewall via the Security Center?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"ZZT" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:crh15q$9d3$1@news.sap-ag.de...
> Hello everybody,
>
> sometime I forget to reenable the firewall after it was disabled and
> wonder if there is a way to automatically enable the firewall after a
> reboot. Is this possible?
>
> Best Regards
January 5, 2005 8:43:11 PM

Will Denny schrieb:

> Can't you re-enable the XP Firewall via the Security Center?

of course but I am lazy and forgetful ;)
automatically reenabling would be perfect
January 5, 2005 8:43:12 PM

"ZZT" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:crh5ev$cbt$1@news.sap-ag.de...
> Will Denny schrieb:
>
>> Can't you re-enable the XP Firewall via the Security Center?
>
> of course but I am lazy and forgetful ;)
> automatically reenabling would be perfect

Hi

Once enabled it should stay enabled. It may be possible with a script file.

--

ZZT wrote:

> Will Denny schrieb:
>
>> Can't you re-enable the XP Firewall via the Security Center?
>
> of course but I am lazy and forgetful ;)
> automatically reenabling would be perfect

Let's address why you want to disable the firewall. Perhaps you should
just make some exceptions for applications that need permission to get
to the Internet? Here are some links to help you:

Understanding Windows Firewall
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/inter...

Some programs don't work after SP2 - the firewall is to blame and can be
manually configured

Windows XP SP2 Firewall blocks offers of Remote Assistance

Troubleshooting Windows Firewall in XPSP2
http://tinyurl.com/3tnkt

Manually Configuring Windows Firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:crh5ev$cbt$1@news.sap-ag.de,
ZZT <a@b.c> typed:

> Will Denny schrieb:
>
>> Can't you re-enable the XP Firewall via the Security Center?
>
> of course but I am lazy and forgetful ;)
> automatically reenabling would be perfect

This makes it sound like you often disable the firewall. That's a
very bad and dangerous thing to do. It takes only a few seconds
of running without a firewall to get infected with things like
Blaster or Sasser. Why are you doing it?

Please reply to the newsgroup
January 7, 2005 1:57:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi folks,

thanks for the answers and I understand your opinion.
Okay - I have notebook. At home I have a crossover-cable and I am sure
nobody is trying to hack my notebook, so firewall is off due to Netbios
and that stuff. In other environments also at work I've usually enabled
my firewall without any exceptions for incoming connections, also ICMP
is blocked.
From time to time I shutdown my notebook at home and forget to re
enable the firewall before. Thats why and of course for other reasons
that causes the FW to be disabled I'd like to autom. reenable the FW
each time the system boots up.

Best Regards
!