Windows Firewall & NAV 2005

During installation of Norton AntiVirus 2005, it was recommended that I
disable the Windows Firewall & enable NAV's worm-blocking feature instead.
I did so & was surprised to see that the Firewall Status was still green, it
apparently recognising the worm-blocker as a firewall.
When I later did a port scan, I found that the NetBIOS port was open, which
I believe is a security risk. Whereas with the Windows Firewall enabled,
this port is closed. In both cases, in all other respects, the PC was deemed
to be in "stealth" mode.
Can anyone recommend the best configuration with regard to NAV 2005
worm-blocking & the Windows Firewall?

"=?Utf-8?B?U2t5cmlkZXJVSw==?=" <SkyriderUK@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:18B1CD7A-A7E4-466D-8075-C2195CA84A54@microsoft.com:

> During installation of Norton AntiVirus 2005, it was recommended that
> I disable the Windows Firewall & enable NAV's worm-blocking feature
> instead. I did so & was surprised to see that the Firewall Status was
> still green, it apparently recognising the worm-blocker as a firewall.
> When I later did a port scan, I found that the NetBIOS port was open,
> which I believe is a security risk. Whereas with the Windows Firewall
> enabled, this port is closed. In both cases, in all other respects,
> the PC was deemed to be in "stealth" mode.
> Can anyone recommend the best configuration with regard to NAV 2005
> worm-blocking & the Windows Firewall?

Assuming you are using XP SP2; take a look at

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/5faa3ca6df6f549888256edd0061c0
a4/dd63e4413b53d2d388256d88006ae2f2?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=1
&Src=sg#_Section1

natex

Thanks for the link: unfortunately, it just generated an error message from
the Symantec site, but I will try again later...
I have browsed the Symantec KB, but have not so far found a definitive
answer. I have also emailed tech support at Symantec, but once again have not
received a definitive answer...

wrote in news:15E7D9B9-56A3-44DD-9A6F-FB7BAD2D2B7B@microsoft.com:

> Thanks for the link: unfortunately, it just generated an error message
> from the Symantec site, but I will try again later...
> I have browsed the Symantec KB, but have not so far found a definitive
> answer. I have also emailed tech support at Symantec, but once again
> have not received a definitive answer...

I'm sorry, all three lines are the link. My newsreader wrapped the lines
and I didn't notice. It's one great big long link.

natex

Okay, got it now...

The doc is helpful, but seems to be intended for manual configuration of the
firewall, perhaps due to it not being configured automatically...

Anyway, I think I have found the answer: it is possible to modify the
"General Rules" governing worm blocking in NAV 2005. By modifying the rules
relating to NetBIOS & File & Printer Sharing, I have been able to close down
those ports - a subsequent scan of my ports showed my PC to be totally
invisible, even without the Windows Firewall...

Thanks for your help,

SkyriderUK