Graphics Aperture size in BIOS

Should the graphics aperture be set to the memory size of your card, or
would setting to max give any better performance?

Default setting is 64 megs of your system ram - safe level

Place it under 16 megs you are stuck in a lower AGP level 2x/1x

128 megs for maybe a small performance boost, depending on system cpu/ram

256 megs for maybe a slight performane boost like 0.5%, defpending on system
cpu/ram (have at least 1 gig ram). Most
ppl report no improvement jacking apperature that large, some get lock ups
or crashes this high.

O could be a troll and tell you to google it or search the fricking
forums... but I feel been quite a long while since this was reposted and NEW
ppl new to Graphic Cards may want to know.

P.S.> STFU and RTFM, google it, this questions 2387648364 months old
already - learn the $^%$^$ search function. (So on)

"David Williamson" <dwilliamson300@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Should the graphics aperture be set to the memory size of your card, or
> would setting to max give any better performance?

Andrew

On Mon, 3 May 2004 12:58:50 +0100, "David Williamson"
<dwilliamson300@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Should the graphics aperture be set to the memory size of your card, or
>would setting to max give any better performance?

groups.google.com will help you with this FAQ and save us hashing
through it all again.

Erm .. i found this place through google groups .. is it not a yes or no
answer?

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
> On Mon, 3 May 2004 12:58:50 +0100, "David Williamson"
> <dwilliamson300@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Should the graphics aperture be set to the memory size of your card, or
> >would setting to max give any better performance?
>
> groups.google.com will help you with this FAQ and save us hashing
> through it all again.
> --
> Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove spamtrap.
> please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevant text.
> Check groups.google.com before asking a question.

Andrew

On Mon, 3 May 2004 13:30:40 +0100, "David Williamson"
<dwilliamson300@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Erm .. i found this place through google groups

Congratulations, try doing a search of the previous messages.

>.. is it not a yes or no answer?

No.

It's easy enough to try the various settings and see for yourself.

Most suggestions are for 64,128, and even 256.(Don't go below 16 though or
you will be at 2x or lower).

Try them and post back if you can tell the difference in performance.

Also, what is your vid card?

"David Williamson" <dwilliamson300@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Should the graphics aperture be set to the memory size of your card, or
> would setting to max give any better performance?

Vellu

Simply put, that BIOS settings determines how much system RAM can be used
when your graphics card RAM is used up.

That being the case, the more RAM you graphic card has, the less system RAM
needs to be used. For example if your graphic card has 64 MB RAM I'd set the
aperture to 128. If your card has 256MB RAM I'd set the aperture to 64.

Very little affect on performance either way.

"David Williamson" <dwilliamson300@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Should the graphics aperture be set to the memory size of your card, or
> would setting to max give any better performance?

Hawk

Thanks for a sensible, knowledgeable, polite, TOP post.

Regards, hawk

Vellu wrote:

> Simply put, that BIOS settings determines how much system RAM can be used
> when your graphics card RAM is used up.
>
> That being the case, the more RAM you graphic card has, the less system RAM
> needs to be used. For example if your graphic card has 64 MB RAM I'd set the
> aperture to 128. If your card has 256MB RAM I'd set the aperture to 64.
>
> Very little affect on performance either way.
>
> "David Williamson" <dwilliamson300@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Should the graphics aperture be set to the memory size of your card, or
>>would setting to max give any better performance?

I've got an Abit NF7-s v2.0 w/98SE and if I set my AGP aperture size to
anything less than 256MB certain maps in BF1942 and Unreal2 run like a slide
show on my 9800 Pro 128MB.

>256 megs for maybe a slight performane boost like 0.5%, defpending on system
>cpu/ram (have at least 1 gig ram). Most
>ppl report no improvement jacking apperature that large, some get lock ups
>or crashes this high.
>
>O could be a troll and tell you to google it or search the fricking
>forums... but I feel been quite a long while since this was reposted and NEW
>ppl new to Graphic Cards may want to know.

OK, now what about APG frequence?! I have an abit nf7-s and an AWI 9600
also, don't flame me as this is my first time in group :>)

> It's easy enough to try the various settings and see for yourself.
>
> Most suggestions are for 64,128, and even 256.(Don't go below 16 though or
> you will be at 2x or lower).
>
> Try them and post back if you can tell the difference in performance.
>
> Also, what is your vid card?
>

> "David Williamson" <dwilliamson300@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Should the graphics aperture be set to the memory size of your card, or
> > would setting to max give any better performance?

Vellu

Frequency? Do you mean MHz, if so 66 MHz is the default value (which then
multiplied by 1x, 2x, 4x or 8x depending on your graphics card)
un-overclocked. This usually cannot be modified independently since it is
derived from your FSB setting automatically.

"frank & sylvia" <charterboats@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
> OK, now what about APG frequence?! I have an abit nf7-s and an AWI 9600
> also, don't flame me as this is my first time in group :>)
>

> "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > It's easy enough to try the various settings and see for yourself.
> >
> > Most suggestions are for 64,128, and even 256.(Don't go below 16 though
or
> > you will be at 2x or lower).
> >
> > Try them and post back if you can tell the difference in performance.
> >
> > Also, what is your vid card?
> >

> > "David Williamson" <dwilliamson300@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Should the graphics aperture be set to the memory size of your card,
or
> > > would setting to max give any better performance?

People go 256 meg aperature size or 1/2 your System ram

"RipFlex" <dbossom1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> People go 256 meg aperature size or 1/2 your System ram

That method is not used anymore (1/2 System ram) .

TRENDING THREADS