IPAQ 2210 - Connecting to the internet

April 19, 2004 9:16:32 PM

Hi there,

I'm new to the world of PDA's and am thinking of buying one tonight, more
specifically IPAQ's 2210.

The thing that I don't understand is how to connect to the internet with
one? The 2210 has got bluetooth, infrared etc. I have a laptop which I use
to connect to the net using a dial up modem.

I'm just not sure how to do it. Can anyone shed some light on it?

Thanks,

Cass
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 10:20:15 PM

>I'm new to the world of PDA's and am thinking of buying one tonight, more
>specifically IPAQ's 2210.
>
>The thing that I don't understand is how to connect to the internet with
>one? The 2210 has got bluetooth, infrared etc. I have a laptop which I use
>to connect to the net using a dial up modem.
>
>I'm just not sure how to do it. Can anyone shed some light on it?

Hi Cass,

I only got my first PDA a couple of months ago, an iPaq 2210 (very cheap
from, www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk , a Nth Yorks company), so like
yourself, I've learning about everything PDA.

Connecting to the internet is a doddle. Presuming you want to connect while
out and about, then if you have a mobile with Bluetooth, and on a network which
supports data(internet) calls (Orange is best) then setting up both the iPaq,
and your mobile to connect to the 'net only takes a few minutes.
Your mobile then acts just like your modem and phone line at home, but a
slower connection.

Alternatively, you can buy a Wi-Fi card which will fit the Compact flash card
slot on the 2210, and with a some more setting up, connect at places with wi-fi
'hotspots', such as some Starbucks, and Cafe Nero shops for instance.

PDAs such as the iPaq 2210 are now really cheap, and I haven't regretted
getting mine, even though I don't use it intensively.

Drop me a mail if you need any other help from another beginner!

regards
Andrew

replying? delete killspam from @aol.com******** and shoot any spammers you
meet ;-)
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 1:00:25 AM

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply. I have ordered it now (Before I read your email!)
and actually brought it from the same site as you, that's pretty scary! I
searched on www.kelkoo.co.uk for the cheapest and that was the best that it
found.

OK, my mobile phone is a NOKIA 7210, no bluetooth :o ( Just Infra Red. Would
that work? I will mainly connect to the internet at home. So if I brought
one of those little bluetooth doggle thingies that can be plugged into the
USB port of my laptop, would I be able to connect to the internet on my PDA
via that?

I'm mainly getting the PDA to read .PDF files. I am a bit of a novice
programmer and have about 4GB worth of programming/computing .PDF files.
They would cost a fortune to print and so I'd just like to be able to sit in
a corner and read them at my leasure. The Adobe Pocket PC Reader looks
great and so that's my reason for buying the PDA. The 2210 looks very
popular, with loads of accessories, and the PocketPC Operating system has a
nice amount of software available for it... plus at £214 from
globalpositioningsystems it's a bargain!

Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Cass

PS Out of interest, did you opt for the FREE 2-4 days shipping from global
positioning systems? If so, how long did it take to get to you?

"AJH400" <ajh400@aol.comkillspam> wrote in message
> >I'm new to the world of PDA's and am thinking of buying one tonight, more
> >specifically IPAQ's 2210.
> >
> >The thing that I don't understand is how to connect to the internet with
> >one? The 2210 has got bluetooth, infrared etc. I have a laptop which I
use
> >to connect to the net using a dial up modem.
> >
> >I'm just not sure how to do it. Can anyone shed some light on it?
>
> Hi Cass,
>
> I only got my first PDA a couple of months ago, an iPaq 2210 (very cheap
> from, www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk , a Nth Yorks company), so like
> yourself, I've learning about everything PDA.
>
> Connecting to the internet is a doddle. Presuming you want to connect
while
> out and about, then if you have a mobile with Bluetooth, and on a network
which
> supports data(internet) calls (Orange is best) then setting up both the
iPaq,
> and your mobile to connect to the 'net only takes a few minutes.
> Your mobile then acts just like your modem and phone line at home, but a
> slower connection.
>
> Alternatively, you can buy a Wi-Fi card which will fit the Compact flash
card
> slot on the 2210, and with a some more setting up, connect at places with
wi-fi
> 'hotspots', such as some Starbucks, and Cafe Nero shops for instance.
>
> PDAs such as the iPaq 2210 are now really cheap, and I haven't regretted
> getting mine, even though I don't use it intensively.
>
> Drop me a mail if you need any other help from another beginner!
>

> regards
> Andrew
>

> replying? delete killspam from @aol.com******** and shoot any spammers
you
> meet ;-)
April 20, 2004 10:46:02 AM

"cassandra.flowers" <cassandra.flowers@btopenworld.com> wrote in

> OK, my mobile phone is a NOKIA 7210, no bluetooth :o ( Just Infra Red.
Would
> that work? I will mainly connect to the internet at home. So if I
brought
> one of those little bluetooth doggle thingies that can be plugged into
the
> USB port of my laptop, would I be able to connect to the internet on my
PDA
> via that?

You don't even have to make it that hard for you: if you connect the 2210
through its cradle and USB to your laptop, and your laptop to the
internet, you can surf with your 2210. The cradle-connection allows you
to use internet as well. No need for a BT-dongle on your laptop.

> I'm mainly getting the PDA to read .PDF files.

In that case you'll need to get hold of acrobat reader for PPC. It is
downloadable on the net for free. Installing is done the usual way: run
the installerprogram on your PC while the 2210 is connected through the
cradle and the installerprogram takes care of everything to make sure the
actual readerprogram is installed on your 2210.
BTW: a screen-rotating program may proove handy when you want to read
pdf-files on your 2210. Like virtual screen from nyditot.

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 11:23:18 AM

"cassandra.flowers" <cassandra.flowers@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Hi Andrew,
>
>Thank you for your reply. I have ordered it now (Before I read your email!)
>and actually brought it from the same site as you, that's pretty scary! I
>searched on www.kelkoo.co.uk for the cheapest and that was the best that it
>found.
>
>OK, my mobile phone is a NOKIA 7210, no bluetooth :o ( Just Infra Red. Would
>that work? I will mainly connect to the internet at home. So if I brought
>one of those little bluetooth doggle thingies that can be plugged into the
>USB port of my laptop, would I be able to connect to the internet on my PDA
>via that?

IR to your Nokia should work. On the dongle - yes. You'd have to
ActiveSync to your PC vial the Bluetooth connection and remain
connected. Then AS Passthrough would allow you to connect.
Alternatively, you could get a bluetooth router.

The easiest and most straight forward connection though is a plain old
56k compact flash modem. Just dial into your ISP directly.

April 20, 2004 1:32:18 PM

Hi Cass,

Welcome to the PDA owners club! Hope you enjoy your PDA as much as I enjoy
mine.

About your questions, you can use your infrared mobile phone as a infrared
modem for your iPAQ. Maybe you should search Nokia's web site for support on
how to configure that, but I'm pretty sure it is possible.

Also, you can purchase the Bluetooth dongle, plug it in your laptop and use
it through ActiveSync or PAN to have internet access from your PDA. You have
just to consider the range of the signal, that doesn't allow you to go too
far away from the laptop.

The best option (I use it at home) is to use a wireless network. Then you
can access then internet from your PDA anywhere inside your home. Your PDA
will not have built-in WI-FI, but you can get an WI-FI adapter in Compact
Flash or SD format from many manufacturers and add it easily.

I would like also to add another comment about the PDF files on your Pocket
PC:

Some PDF files are not exactly textual files, but each page is actually a
bitmap image. It means that in this case, your Pocket Acrobat Reader will
not be able to reorganize the text to fit best the screen and so, you will
have to scroll and zoom the pages to read the file. I don't like it that
much. If the PDF file is textual, then the reader will reorganize the text
(changing the original layout of the pages) to provide a better reading
experience.

You may try to find or convert textual documents to the Microsoft Reader
format, as it is very good to read on-screen.

Cheers,
Paulo
"cassandra.flowers" <cassandra.flowers@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> [...]
network
> which
> > supports data(internet) calls (Orange is best) then setting up both the
> iPaq,
> > and your mobile to connect to the 'net only takes a few minutes.
> > Your mobile then acts just like your modem and phone line at home, but
> > slower connection.
> >
> > Alternatively, you can buy a Wi-Fi card which will fit the Compact flash
> card
> > slot on the 2210, and with a some more setting up, connect at places
with
> wi-fi
> > 'hotspots', such as some Starbucks, and Cafe Nero shops for instance.
> >
> > PDAs such as the iPaq 2210 are now really cheap, and I haven't regretted
> > getting mine, even though I don't use it intensively.
> >
> > Drop me a mail if you need any other help from another beginner!

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 12:48:48 PM

SoftSpot wrote:

> "cassandra.flowers" <cassandra.flowers@btopenworld.com> wrote in
>

>>OK, my mobile phone is a NOKIA 7210, no bluetooth :o ( Just Infra Red.
>
> Would
>
>>that work? I will mainly connect to the internet at home. So if I
>
> brought
>
>>one of those little bluetooth doggle thingies that can be plugged into
>
> the
>
>>USB port of my laptop, would I be able to connect to the internet on my
>
> PDA
>
>>via that?
>>

> You don't even have to make it that hard for you: if you connect the 2210
> through its cradle and USB to your laptop, and your laptop to the
> internet, you can surf with your 2210. The cradle-connection allows you
> to use internet as well. No need for a BT-dongle on your laptop.
>

>>I'm mainly getting the PDA to read .PDF files.
>

> In that case you'll need to get hold of acrobat reader for PPC. It is
> downloadable on the net for free. Installing is done the usual way: run
> the installerprogram on your PC while the 2210 is connected through the
> cradle and the installerprogram takes care of everything to make sure the
> actual readerprogram is installed on your 2210.
> BTW: a screen-rotating program may proove handy when you want to read
> pdf-files on your 2210. Like virtual screen from nyditot.

Since Acrobat can rotate by itself you don't need a rotation program for
this use.

Dale

--
_ _ Dale DePriest