Seeking recommendations on a Registery Cleaner

Seeking recommendations on a Registery Cleaner

Hello and thanks for the help,

I'm looking for a Registry Cleaner for Windows XP Pro SP2. I want to remove
the Registry entries left behind by software that fails to completely
uninstall.

I've recently purchased a new machine. The manufacturer added software that
I didn't want. After uninstalling this software, I discovered a large
number of Registry entries remaining related to this software (examples:
MusicMatch, Word Perfect).

I also installed and uninstalled some software (Activestate Perl) and found
that it left behind Registry entries and system settings (it failed to
remove it's folder from the system PATH variable).

On my old 98 and ME machines, I used RegCleaner 4.3 by Jouni Vuorio
(freeware). I've searched the net for an XP equivalent (found several), but
I have not found a recommendation that I trust for any of the offerings. So
I'm coming to this newsgroup for recommendations.

Again, on Windows XP Pro SP2, I want to remove the Registry entries left
behind by uninstalled software, as well as restoring any system settings
(where possible).

Thanks for the help,
DG

There is a registry cleaner called All-In-One SecretMaker. You can download
it from the CNET.com site. It works very well, not only on the registry,
but, on whatever you want to set.

rcmsellers

DG wrote:
> Seeking recommendations on a Registery Cleaner
>
> Hello and thanks for the help,
>
> I'm looking for a Registry Cleaner for Windows XP Pro SP2. I want to
> remove the Registry entries left behind by software that fails to
> completely uninstall.
>
> I've recently purchased a new machine. The manufacturer added
> software that I didn't want. After uninstalling this software, I
> discovered a large number of Registry entries remaining related to
> this software (examples: MusicMatch, Word Perfect).
>
> I also installed and uninstalled some software (Activestate Perl) and
> found that it left behind Registry entries and system settings (it
> failed to remove it's folder from the system PATH variable).
>
> On my old 98 and ME machines, I used RegCleaner 4.3 by Jouni Vuorio
> (freeware). I've searched the net for an XP equivalent (found
> several), but I have not found a recommendation that I trust for any
> of the offerings. So I'm coming to this newsgroup for
> recommendations.
>
> Again, on Windows XP Pro SP2, I want to remove the Registry entries
> left behind by uninstalled software, as well as restoring any system
> settings (where possible).
>
> Thanks for the help,
> DG

In my view, registry cleaners usually cause more problems than they fix. I
would not recommend using one. If you have some unused junk in your
registry....eh.

This is what I use.

EasyCleaner is a small program which searches Windows' registry for entries
that are pointing nowhere.
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

[[EasyCleaner creates .REG-file from all entries deleted on the same
session, and by double-clicking the *.REG-file you can add those previously
deleted entries back to the registry.] i.e. EasyCleaner makes backup (Undo
files) that you can use to replace something that you deleted using
EasyCleaner.]]

Make sure that you have the latest program version and blacklist version.
Program ver: 2.0.6.373
Blacklist ver: Release 6

And of course, use with caution.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:ekxAnm68EHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
DG <invalid@invalid.invalid> hunted and pecked:

DG wrote:
> Seeking recommendations on a Registery Cleaner
>
> Hello and thanks for the help,
>
> I'm looking for a Registry Cleaner for Windows XP Pro SP2. I want to remove
> the Registry entries left behind by software that fails to completely
> uninstall.
>
> I've recently purchased a new machine. The manufacturer added software that
> I didn't want. After uninstalling this software, I discovered a large
> number of Registry entries remaining related to this software (examples:
> MusicMatch, Word Perfect).
>
> I also installed and uninstalled some software (Activestate Perl) and found
> that it left behind Registry entries and system settings (it failed to
> remove it's folder from the system PATH variable).
>
> On my old 98 and ME machines, I used RegCleaner 4.3 by Jouni Vuorio
> (freeware). I've searched the net for an XP equivalent (found several), but
> I have not found a recommendation that I trust for any of the offerings. So
> I'm coming to this newsgroup for recommendations.
>
> Again, on Windows XP Pro SP2, I want to remove the Registry entries left
> behind by uninstalled software, as well as restoring any system settings
> (where possible).
>
> Thanks for the help,
> DG

Having seen the results of inexperienced people using automated
registry "cleaners," I can only advise to you to avoid them all.

The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe it claims to be.

I always use Regedit.exe, and strongly recommend the others learn
to do so. I trust my own experience and judgment far more than I would
any automated registry cleaner.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: