AVG free edition 7 - virus scans

a b 8 Security
January 6, 2005 7:19:02 AM

Have recently updated to avg free edition 7 after using free edition 6 with
no problems. As far as I can see there is no opportunity to schedule daily
virus scans with 7 as there was with 6. Only able to schedule daily updates.
Am I correct in this assumption or am I missing something.
Thanks
--
fuzzyhead
Anonymous

Make sure the Scheduler is displayed...

AVG7 Control Center | View | Components |
Scheduler | Select ? Display component | Apply |
OK | Highlight Scheduler | Sceduled Tasks button |

You can oly schedule a complete test, no User tests, in the FREE version.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:3FB2EE47-896A-4262-9943-492E32F30FEC@microsoft.com,
fuzzyhead <fuzzyhead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Have recently updated to avg free edition 7 after using free edition
> 6 with no problems. As far as I can see there is no opportunity to
> schedule daily virus scans with 7 as there was with 6. Only able to
> schedule daily updates. Am I correct in this assumption or am I
> missing something.
> Thanks
> --
> fuzzyhead
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 8, 2005 4:19:02 AM

To Wesley Vogel
Thanks for reply. Have gone through and done all you recommended but at the
end it still will only let me schedule daily updates and not complete tests.
The Resident Shield is active so does this replace daily complete tests or is
it only a cursory check. Advice please.
Thanks
fuzzyhead

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Make sure the Scheduler is displayed...
>
> AVG7 Control Center | View | Components |
> Scheduler | Select Â? Display component | Apply |
> OK | Highlight Scheduler | Sceduled Tasks button |
>
> You can oly schedule a complete test, no User tests, in the FREE version.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:3FB2EE47-896A-4262-9943-492E32F30FEC@microsoft.com,
> fuzzyhead <fuzzyhead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Have recently updated to avg free edition 7 after using free edition
> > 6 with no problems. As far as I can see there is no opportunity to
> > schedule daily virus scans with 7 as there was with 6. Only able to
> > schedule daily updates. Am I correct in this assumption or am I
> > missing something.
> > Thanks
> > --
> > fuzzyhead

a b 8 Security
January 8, 2005 12:15:37 PM

fuzzyhead,

I have AVG7 Free version.

Highlight Scheduler | Scheduled Tasks button |
Under Scheduled Tasks I have two items listed:
Test plan in Basic mode (mine says task is disabled)
Update plan in Basic mode (mine says task is disabled)

I have both disabled on purpose.

Highlight Test plan in Basic mode | Edit schedule button |
Select ? Periodically start scheduled antivirus test | Adjust the settings |
OK

I assume that both of the above tasks are pre-defined tasks and cannot be
removed. I have not actually run a scheduled test. The Control Center does
let me set a schedule. I tested this but set it back to disabled.

From AVG HELP...

Scheduled tasks
[[In this dialog, there is displayed list of all existing Scheduled tasks.
Creating of new scheduled tasks is possible only in AVG Professional.

Use the New schedule button to create new task.
Using the Edit schedule button you can change parameters of highlighted
scheduled task.
Click Delete to remove highlighted task. Pre-defined tasks can not be
removed.
Press the Close button to close the dialog.]]
----

[[How to schedule tests?
In Basic Mode you can find simple test scheduler that can be selected from
Tests menu. You can set daily tests and option what to do in case of missed
test. Also you can choose test to be performed.
Scheduler in Advanced mode can be found either in Tests menu or in basic
tree of functions. The plan can be configured in great detail, also you can
set multiple plans. It is recommended to at least perform a daily scan on
your most important folders, and also to regularly perform a full scan. You
can create, modify or delete tests as necessary. ]]
Grisoft, Inc. (c) 2003
http://www.grisoft.com/faq/us_faqtext.php?id=160&sid=3

How to schedule update (or test) to be done even if user is not logged in?
[[AVG 7.0 allows scheduling of events even if user is not logged in. These
events are marked as “Scheduled for – all users“, also the icon is in
different colour.
Items selected Scheduled for – all users in scheduled tasks (also test
definitions), that will be performed on the computer independent from the
logged in user. You can set scheduled tasks for all users in advanced
interface. In list of scheduled tasks choose New Schedule. In the item
Schedule you can set either test or update. Tick the option Schedule for all
users. Also in this screen you can select what to do if the scheduled task
is missed such as setting to Run Task On Computer Start. ]]
http://www.grisoft.com/faq/us_faqtext.php?id=162&sid=3

MAIN SECTION >> Technical FAQ >> FAQ AVG 7.0 >> General questions
http://www.grisoft.com/faq/us_faqindex.php?id_rodice=3

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:AFA81710-F65D-4714-AC9A-92DB9B8C3FAF@microsoft.com,
fuzzyhead <fuzzyhead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> To Wesley Vogel
> Thanks for reply. Have gone through and done all you recommended but
> at the end it still will only let me schedule daily updates and not
> complete tests. The Resident Shield is active so does this replace
> daily complete tests or is it only a cursory check. Advice please.
> Thanks
> fuzzyhead
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Make sure the Scheduler is displayed...
>>
>> AVG7 Control Center | View | Components |
>> Scheduler | Select Â? Display component | Apply |
>> OK | Highlight Scheduler | Sceduled Tasks button |
>>
>> You can oly schedule a complete test, no User tests, in the FREE
>> version.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:3FB2EE47-896A-4262-9943-492E32F30FEC@microsoft.com,
>> fuzzyhead <fuzzyhead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Have recently updated to avg free edition 7 after using free edition
>>> 6 with no problems. As far as I can see there is no opportunity to
>>> schedule daily virus scans with 7 as there was with 6. Only able to
>>> schedule daily updates. Am I correct in this assumption or am I
>>> missing something.
>>> Thanks
>>> --
>>> fuzzyhead
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 9, 2005 6:53:01 AM

To Wesley
Again thanks for all the info. Will let you know in next couple of days how
I get on.
fuzzyhead

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 9, 2005 7:20:50 PM

Okie dokie. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:5F70E6CE-71AD-4B81-837B-766BE93C5FF3@microsoft.com,
> [...]
>> you can select what to do if the scheduled task is missed such as
>> setting to Run Task On Computer Start. ]]
>> http://www.grisoft.com/faq/us_faqtext.php?id=162&sid=3
>>
>> MAIN SECTION >> Technical FAQ >> FAQ AVG 7.0 >> General questions
>> http://www.grisoft.com/faq/us_faqindex.php?id_rodice=3
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:AFA81710-F65D-4714-AC9A-92DB9B8C3FAF@microsoft.com,
>> fuzzyhead <fuzzyhead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> To Wesley Vogel
>>> Thanks for reply. Have gone through and done all you recommended
>>> but at the end it still will only let me schedule daily updates and
>>> not complete tests. The Resident Shield is active so does this
>>> replace daily complete tests or is it only a cursory check. Advice

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 16, 2005 9:41:03 AM

To Wesley Vogel
Have managed to schedule the tasks, we will see tonight if it works.
Again many thanks
Fuzzyhead

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 16, 2005 2:34:24 PM

Keep having fun. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A147B5C8-1D3A-48DB-881C-E55B255E7362@microsoft.com,
fuzzyhead <fuzzyhead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> To Wesley Vogel
> Have managed to schedule the tasks, we will see tonight if it works.
> Again many thanks
> Fuzzyhead
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Okie dokie. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:5F70E6CE-71AD-4B81-837B-766BE93C5FF3@microsoft.com,
>> fuzzyhead <fuzzyhead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> To Wesley
>>> Again thanks for all the info. Will let you know in next couple of
>>> days how I get on.
>>> fuzzyhead

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 17, 2005 6:11:03 PM

To Wesley Vogel
Great news, it all works.
Thanks for your help
fuzzyhead

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Keep having fun. :-)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:A147B5C8-1D3A-48DB-881C-E55B255E7362@microsoft.com,
> fuzzyhead <fuzzyhead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > To Wesley Vogel
> > Have managed to schedule the tasks, we will see tonight if it works.
> > Again many thanks
> > Fuzzyhead
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> Okie dokie. :-)