iPaq 55XX Upgrade 1.10

April 19, 2004 2:15:13 PM

Hi all,

I was holding off installing the April 7th update to version 1.10 on my iPaq
5550. After the issues that were introduced in the Wifi (dropped
connections, range decreased, etc.) on the last one I decided that I would
see what the general consensus is first.

So far this is what I have been seeing:
- Wifi may or may not be improved, I have seen posts both ways (Does the
signal strength bar work again?)
- The Inbox key issue is not fixed yet (I have this problem too, I have to
use the Start Menu to launch my inbox)
- The alarm (or lack there of) issue seems to persist (I have found that if
the unit is on AC power the alarms work fine for those of you use it as an
alarm clock to wake you up)
- Sounds like Active Sync over Wifi may now work
- Overall unit speed may have been improved
- MS Reader must be activated from your desktop (that's how I have always
done it)
- The Wifi connection status verbiage now says "Turn Off Flight Mode" and
"Turn on Flight Mode"
- Do not attempt to restore a backup to get your data back, you must
reinstall all of your programs and re-sync with Active Sync to get it all
back
- Power consumption during standby appears to have been reduced
- You can use MIDI for alarms now

What other things are people seeing? Good and bad would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig Enders

More about : ipaq 55xx upgrade

Anonymous
April 19, 2004 11:01:01 PM

Been good for me. I never had any problems with wifi or syncing over
wifi, so those didn't make any difference for me on the upgrade.

Not sure what the inbox key issue is. I've done inbox with activesync
to my exchange account and imap4. Inbox always launched from wherever
I tried to launch it from - start menu, "desktop", etc..

Alarm issues - I never tried to use it as an alarm.

Speed - seems about the same to me before and after. But I may not be
paying enough attention.

Reader activation - haven't gotten reader reinstalled yet - but I also
always activated it from my tablet PC, so not an issue for me.

The thing I like is that they finally fixed the problem with the
password prompt. I'd set it for anything, and it would always prompt
me for a fingerprint or password after just two or three minutes. Now
it actually doesn't do it for an hour when it's set for an hour.

So far I've had no downside witnessed. No problems that it has caused
me.

John

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:15:13 -0700, "Craig Enders"
<craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I was holding off installing the April 7th update to version 1.10 on my iPaq
>5550. After the issues that were introduced in the Wifi (dropped
>connections, range decreased, etc.) on the last one I decided that I would
>see what the general consensus is first.
>
>So far this is what I have been seeing:
>- Wifi may or may not be improved, I have seen posts both ways (Does the
>signal strength bar work again?)
>- The Inbox key issue is not fixed yet (I have this problem too, I have to
>use the Start Menu to launch my inbox)
>- The alarm (or lack there of) issue seems to persist (I have found that if
>the unit is on AC power the alarms work fine for those of you use it as an
>alarm clock to wake you up)
>- Sounds like Active Sync over Wifi may now work
>- Overall unit speed may have been improved
>- MS Reader must be activated from your desktop (that's how I have always
>done it)
>- The Wifi connection status verbiage now says "Turn Off Flight Mode" and
>"Turn on Flight Mode"
>- Do not attempt to restore a backup to get your data back, you must
>reinstall all of your programs and re-sync with Active Sync to get it all
>back
>- Power consumption during standby appears to have been reduced
>- You can use MIDI for alarms now
>
>What other things are people seeing? Good and bad would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Craig Enders

Anonymous
April 20, 2004 2:13:36 AM

See Inline

"Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I was holding off installing the April 7th update to version 1.10 on my
> iPaq
> 5550. After the issues that were introduced in the Wifi (dropped
> connections, range decreased, etc.) on the last one I decided that I would
> see what the general consensus is first.
>
> So far this is what I have been seeing:
> - Wifi may or may not be improved, I have seen posts both ways (Does the
> signal strength bar work again?)

Yes they stopped fiddling with the signal meter and it is working fine now.

> - The Inbox key issue is not fixed yet (I have this problem too, I have to
> use the Start Menu to launch my inbox)

Still broken, I have tried this on 3 5555's and it's still broken. It's
also broken on 5455's upgraded to wm2003 as well.

> - The alarm (or lack there of) issue seems to persist (I have found that
> if
> the unit is on AC power the alarms work fine for those of you use it as an
> alarm clock to wake you up)

Can't comment on this one too much, alarms work fine on mine but it could be
the 3rd party apps I have cleaning my databases.

> - Sounds like Active Sync over Wifi may now work

So far so good and I use a vpn connection over wifi and 1XRTT

> - Overall unit speed may have been improved

I've noticed this, the unit has some zing to it now. Before I had to edit
the registry to make menu's open faster, now it's all good.

> - MS Reader must be activated from your desktop (that's how I have always
> done it)

Haven't tried, no comment

> - The Wifi connection status verbiage now says "Turn Off Flight Mode" and
> "Turn on Flight Mode"

Yup, just like the 4150's and 4350's

> - Do not attempt to restore a backup to get your data back, you must
> reinstall all of your programs and re-sync with Active Sync to get it all
> back

Yup that's what is said in the readme, and you never restore a backup from a
previous rom.

> - Power consumption during standby appears to have been reduced

Haven't really noticed the battery life but then again I've used my 5555 all
day today and I didn't get the low battery warning for a good while.

> - You can use MIDI for alarms now

I'm going to try that now and post back.

> What other things are people seeing? Good and bad would be appreciated.

Looks like HP took their time with this rom and did it right, so far
everything is working great on my 5555, I'm so glad they fixed that password
bug where it asked for it every time you turned on the device even if yo
uhad it set to 1 hr.

rights...
April 20, 2004 2:23:15 PM

In article <utt9mHjJEHA.2260@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
craigenders@hotmail.com says...
> What other things are people seeing? Good and bad would be appreciated.

The Bluetooth range is further, at least in my house, and seems more
reliable. This is for Active Sync with desktop and internet via mobile
phone.
--
Jim
Anonymous

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:13:36 -0400, "Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile
devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

>See Inline
>
>"Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>

>> - Overall unit speed may have been improved
>
>I've noticed this, the unit has some zing to it now. Before I had to edit
>the registry to make menu's open faster, now it's all good.

Eric, what registry edits do you make for the menu speed? That's one
I hadn't come across.

Thanks

John
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 5:48:45 PM

Course, today I got hit with something I've had randomly happen since
I got the unit - after a soft reset, the password screen is just
blank. I have the title bar across the top, the icon for activesync,
sound, and the clock, but nothing else. repeated syncs don't make a
difference. Looks like I'll have to hard reset the thing again and
rebuild it all over if a restore doesn't get around it.

John

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:01:01 -0500, "JDTHREE [MVP]"
<john@removeforspam.engagenet.com> wrote:

>Been good for me. I never had any problems with wifi or syncing over
>wifi, so those didn't make any difference for me on the upgrade.
>
>Not sure what the inbox key issue is. I've done inbox with activesync
>to my exchange account and imap4. Inbox always launched from wherever
>I tried to launch it from - start menu, "desktop", etc..
>
>Alarm issues - I never tried to use it as an alarm.
>
>Speed - seems about the same to me before and after. But I may not be
>paying enough attention.
>
>Reader activation - haven't gotten reader reinstalled yet - but I also
>always activated it from my tablet PC, so not an issue for me.
>
>The thing I like is that they finally fixed the problem with the
>password prompt. I'd set it for anything, and it would always prompt
>me for a fingerprint or password after just two or three minutes. Now
>it actually doesn't do it for an hour when it's set for an hour.
>
>So far I've had no downside witnessed. No problems that it has caused
>me.
>
>John
>

>On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:15:13 -0700, "Craig Enders"
><craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I was holding off installing the April 7th update to version 1.10 on my iPaq
>>5550. After the issues that were introduced in the Wifi (dropped
>>connections, range decreased, etc.) on the last one I decided that I would
>>see what the general consensus is first.
>>
>>So far this is what I have been seeing:
>>- Wifi may or may not be improved, I have seen posts both ways (Does the
>>signal strength bar work again?)
>>- The Inbox key issue is not fixed yet (I have this problem too, I have to
>>use the Start Menu to launch my inbox)
>>- The alarm (or lack there of) issue seems to persist (I have found that if
>>the unit is on AC power the alarms work fine for those of you use it as an
>>alarm clock to wake you up)
>>- Sounds like Active Sync over Wifi may now work
>>- Overall unit speed may have been improved
>>- MS Reader must be activated from your desktop (that's how I have always
>>done it)
>>- The Wifi connection status verbiage now says "Turn Off Flight Mode" and
>>"Turn on Flight Mode"
>>- Do not attempt to restore a backup to get your data back, you must
>>reinstall all of your programs and re-sync with Active Sync to get it all
>>back
>>- Power consumption during standby appears to have been reduced
>>- You can use MIDI for alarms now
>>
>>What other things are people seeing? Good and bad would be appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Craig Enders

Anonymous
April 20, 2004 9:05:32 PM

Overall performance is improved but Im now getting constant disconnects on
my wi-fi. Never had this problem before. Every couple of minutes I disco
then it quickly reconnects. \

Mitch

"Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I was holding off installing the April 7th update to version 1.10 on my
iPaq
> 5550. After the issues that were introduced in the Wifi (dropped
> connections, range decreased, etc.) on the last one I decided that I would
> see what the general consensus is first.
>
> So far this is what I have been seeing:
> - Wifi may or may not be improved, I have seen posts both ways (Does the
> signal strength bar work again?)
> - The Inbox key issue is not fixed yet (I have this problem too, I have to
> use the Start Menu to launch my inbox)
> - The alarm (or lack there of) issue seems to persist (I have found that
if
> the unit is on AC power the alarms work fine for those of you use it as an
> alarm clock to wake you up)
> - Sounds like Active Sync over Wifi may now work
> - Overall unit speed may have been improved
> - MS Reader must be activated from your desktop (that's how I have always
> done it)
> - The Wifi connection status verbiage now says "Turn Off Flight Mode" and
> "Turn on Flight Mode"
> - Do not attempt to restore a backup to get your data back, you must
> reinstall all of your programs and re-sync with Active Sync to get it all
> back
> - Power consumption during standby appears to have been reduced
> - You can use MIDI for alarms now
>
> What other things are people seeing? Good and bad would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Craig Enders

Anonymous
April 20, 2004 10:33:47 PM

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GWE\Menu\
Change the "AniType" value from 6 to 0

This disables the start menu transition effect and it really does speed up
the menu draw time.

rights...

"JDTHREE [MVP]" <john@removeforspam.engagenet.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:13:36 -0400, "Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile
> devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>See Inline
>>
>>"Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>

>>> - Overall unit speed may have been improved
>>
>>I've noticed this, the unit has some zing to it now. Before I had to edit
>>the registry to make menu's open faster, now it's all good.
>>

> Eric, what registry edits do you make for the menu speed? That's one
> I hadn't come across.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 3:53:18 AM

I think there's one key called 'Glyphcache' making it say 64 or 96k
instead of 32k makes a big imrpovement even under WM2003. It seems to
affect the tiles used on screen display and is purported to speed up
games very noticeably.

Cheers - Neil.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:46:48 -0500, "JDTHREE [MVP]"
<john@removeforspam.engagenet.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:13:36 -0400, "Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile
>devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>See Inline
>>
>>"Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>

>>> - Overall unit speed may have been improved
>>
>>I've noticed this, the unit has some zing to it now. Before I had to edit
>>the registry to make menu's open faster, now it's all good.
>>

>Eric, what registry edits do you make for the menu speed? That's one
>I hadn't come across.
>
>Thanks
>
>John

CaptionKit http://www.captionkit.com : Produce subtitled
internet media, transcripts and searchable video. Supports
Real Player, Quicktime and Windows Media Player.

VideoChat with friends online, get Freshly Toasted every
day at http://www.fresh-toast.net : NetMeeting solutions
for a connected world.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 11:24:11 AM

Thanks Eric and Neil. Will try these since I have to rebuild it again
now since the blank password would not go away regardless of what I
tried... sigh...

John

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:53:18 GMT, neil@nospam.com (Neil Smith [MVP
Digital Media]) wrote:

>I think there's one key called 'Glyphcache' making it say 64 or 96k
>instead of 32k makes a big imrpovement even under WM2003. It seems to
>affect the tiles used on screen display and is purported to speed up
>games very noticeably.
>
>Cheers - Neil.
>
>On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:46:48 -0500, "JDTHREE [MVP]"
><john@removeforspam.engagenet.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:13:36 -0400, "Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile
>>devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>See Inline
>>>
>>>"Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>I've noticed this, the unit has some zing to it now. Before I had to edit
>>>the registry to make menu's open faster, now it's all good.
>>>

>>Eric, what registry edits do you make for the menu speed? That's one
>>I hadn't come across.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>John

>CaptionKit http://www.captionkit.com : Produce subtitled
>internet media, transcripts and searchable video. Supports
>Real Player, Quicktime and Windows Media Player.
>
>VideoChat with friends online, get Freshly Toasted every
>day at http://www.fresh-toast.net : NetMeeting solutions
>for a connected world.
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 12:25:26 AM

After installing update 1.10, I have to report nothing to get excited about.
With the exception of the usual Inbox button problem I had few issues. After
update - MS Reader activation is flaky at times, iTask tap and hold doesn't
work correctly, and Today drop down menu font is too light.

Given the struggle of reinstalling all my apps, and new problems I didn't
have before, I don't think I'd recommend the update. However, your mileage
may vary.

"Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I was holding off installing the April 7th update to version 1.10 on my
iPaq
> 5550. After the issues that were introduced in the Wifi (dropped
> connections, range decreased, etc.) on the last one I decided that I would
> see what the general consensus is first.
>
> So far this is what I have been seeing:
> - Wifi may or may not be improved, I have seen posts both ways (Does the
> signal strength bar work again?)
> - The Inbox key issue is not fixed yet (I have this problem too, I have to
> use the Start Menu to launch my inbox)
> - The alarm (or lack there of) issue seems to persist (I have found that
if
> the unit is on AC power the alarms work fine for those of you use it as an
> alarm clock to wake you up)
> - Sounds like Active Sync over Wifi may now work
> - Overall unit speed may have been improved
> - MS Reader must be activated from your desktop (that's how I have always
> done it)
> - The Wifi connection status verbiage now says "Turn Off Flight Mode" and
> "Turn on Flight Mode"
> - Do not attempt to restore a backup to get your data back, you must
> reinstall all of your programs and re-sync with Active Sync to get it all
> back
> - Power consumption during standby appears to have been reduced
> - You can use MIDI for alarms now
>
> What other things are people seeing? Good and bad would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Craig Enders

April 22, 2004 12:12:26 PM

Hi there,

These are great tips. What software should I use to edit the registry?

Ta,
Pete

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I think there's one key called 'Glyphcache' making it say 64 or 96k
> instead of 32k makes a big imrpovement even under WM2003. It seems to
> affect the tiles used on screen display and is purported to speed up
> games very noticeably.
>
> Cheers - Neil.
>
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:46:48 -0500, "JDTHREE [MVP]"
> <john@removeforspam.engagenet.com> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:13:36 -0400, "Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile
> >devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >>See Inline
> >>
> >>"Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >>I've noticed this, the unit has some zing to it now. Before I had to
edit
> >>the registry to make menu's open faster, now it's all good.
> >>

> >Eric, what registry edits do you make for the menu speed? That's one
> >I hadn't come across.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >John

> CaptionKit http://www.captionkit.com : Produce subtitled
> internet media, transcripts and searchable video. Supports
> Real Player, Quicktime and Windows Media Player.
>
> VideoChat with friends online, get Freshly Toasted every
> day at http://www.fresh-toast.net : NetMeeting solutions
> for a connected world.
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 12:12:27 PM

http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/
it's free and works great.

rights...

"Pete" <NOSPAM.peter.i@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> These are great tips. What software should I use to edit the registry?
>
> Ta,
> Pete
>
> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I think there's one key called 'Glyphcache' making it say 64 or 96k
>> instead of 32k makes a big imrpovement even under WM2003. It seems to
>> affect the tiles used on screen display and is purported to speed up
>> games very noticeably.
>>
>> Cheers - Neil.
>>
>> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:46:48 -0500, "JDTHREE [MVP]"
>> <john@removeforspam.engagenet.com> wrote:

> edit
>> >>

>> >Eric, what registry edits do you make for the menu speed? That's one
>> >I hadn't come across.
>> >
>> >Thanks
>> >
>> >John

>> CaptionKit http://www.captionkit.com : Produce subtitled
>> internet media, transcripts and searchable video. Supports
>> Real Player, Quicktime and Windows Media Player.
>>
>> VideoChat with friends online, get Freshly Toasted every
>> day at http://www.fresh-toast.net : NetMeeting solutions
>> for a connected world.

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 12:12:28 PM

You beat me to it Marlof, but it's great that we both pointed to the same
one.

rights...

"Marlof Bregonje, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<askforit@thenewsgroup.address.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:12:26 +1000, "Pete"
> <NOSPAM.peter.i@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>>These are great tips. What software should I use to edit the registry?
>
> http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/
>
> --
> Marlof Bregonje
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile
April 22, 2004 4:09:49 PM

I was able to apply a restore of a previous backup without any issues,
except for a missing "skin?" for the calculator app. All white now.

Tim.

"Mitch_A" <naman@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Overall performance is improved but Im now getting constant disconnects on
> my wi-fi. Never had this problem before. Every couple of minutes I disco
> then it quickly reconnects. \
>
> Mitch
>

> "Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was holding off installing the April 7th update to version 1.10 on my
> iPaq
> > 5550. After the issues that were introduced in the Wifi (dropped
> > connections, range decreased, etc.) on the last one I decided that I
would
> > see what the general consensus is first.
> >
> > So far this is what I have been seeing:
> > - Wifi may or may not be improved, I have seen posts both ways (Does the
> > signal strength bar work again?)
> > - The Inbox key issue is not fixed yet (I have this problem too, I have
> > use the Start Menu to launch my inbox)
> > - The alarm (or lack there of) issue seems to persist (I have found that
> if
> > the unit is on AC power the alarms work fine for those of you use it as
an
> > alarm clock to wake you up)
> > - Sounds like Active Sync over Wifi may now work
> > - Overall unit speed may have been improved
> > - MS Reader must be activated from your desktop (that's how I have
always
> > done it)
> > - The Wifi connection status verbiage now says "Turn Off Flight Mode"
and
> > "Turn on Flight Mode"
> > - Do not attempt to restore a backup to get your data back, you must
> > reinstall all of your programs and re-sync with Active Sync to get it
all
> > back
> > - Power consumption during standby appears to have been reduced
> > - You can use MIDI for alarms now
> >
> > What other things are people seeing? Good and bad would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Craig Enders

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 11:52:39 PM

"Tim" <tim@webestablish.com> wrote in message
>I was able to apply a restore of a previous backup without any issues,
> except for a missing "skin?" for the calculator app.
Only problem with restoring from a previous rom version backup is that you
may actually copy over the things that the new rom fixes. It is strongly
recommended that you reinstall all your apps instead of resotring from a
previous rom backup.

rights...
April 28, 2004 12:16:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't seem to install this application.

I'm using the iPAQ 5550 running WM2003.

Cheers,
Pete
"Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote