Linksys and XP idea's?

I have a small office with several PC's and a Linksys Wireless G Router,
everything seems to work fine except one of the new computers running
windows XP with a WMP54G wireless card, I have four other PC's running
Windows 2000 with the same card and everything is fine but I can't seem to
get the XP machine to connect to the wireless network. It will show me the
SSID name that is being broadcast and I've entered the proper WEP key, I
even went as far as shutting off the WEP but nothing seems to help. Anything
that might help would be great.

Hello there,

here is something that you can try for testing purposes:

1. Disable WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
2. Enable 64 bit WEP encryption, Default Transmit Key of 1. Set the channel in the
router to 8. Set the Mode for G-Only.
can the client connect?
--------------------

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

This problem is similar to mine, except that I have a Microsoft Wireless-G Router with a Microsoft Wireless-G PCI adapter in a desktop computer. Will these same steps fix my problem also?

----- Sergio Moreno(MSFT) wrote: -----

Hello there,

here is something that you can try for testing purposes:

1. Disable WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
2. Enable 64 bit WEP encryption, Default Transmit Key of 1. Set the channel in the
router to 8. Set the Mode for G-Only.
can the client connect?
--------------------
>From: "R Doornbosch" <NOSPAM@youremail.com>>Subject: Linksys and XP idea's?
>Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 15:52:24 -0400
>>I have a small office with several PC's and a Linksys Wireless G Router,
>everything seems to work fine except one of the new computers running
>windows XP with a WMP54G wireless card, I have four other PC's running
>Windows 2000 with the same card and everything is fine but I can't seem to
>get the XP machine to connect to the wireless network. It will show me the
>SSID name that is being broadcast and I've entered the proper WEP key, I
>even went as far as shutting off the WEP but nothing seems to help. Anything
>that might help would be great.

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

A possibility :
The WEP key on XP is a wide number, and not the key string !!!

OK in an attempt to get this working I've removed the XP machine and put it
in service somewhere else, I now have a Windows 2000 machine with the WMP54G
wireless card installed. This time, at least, the software from the CD
actually ran but didn't seem to work at all and kept giving me an access
violation every time I entered anything, so I downloaded the newest drivers
and software from Linksys, did an un-install and then re-installed
everything. This time everything seemed to get installed properly BUT even
though I've imported a connection from another machine (w/ WEP key) and
setup a new one the machine will not connect to the Wireless router
(Linksys). The machine is recognizing the broadcast SSID but show's no
signal strength. ANY IDEAS?

I had a similar problem with my linksys handheld card
WCF12. Try to check on the linksys website if there is any
driver update. It worked for my problem.