Closed

Access Denied to user folder after opsys reinstall XP Home..

I reinstalled the XP home from my partitioned drive that was shipped with my
new HP, and as it installed it backed up the users data. After the install I
went to the windows explorer and clicked on my old user and it said access
denied. I logged in as admin and got the same message. My user was password
protected and had been checked as private. Now the folder sits in on the
c:drive with all of my personal docs inside, but I cannot access the folder.
Is there a way to restore the user, or login in to it? The old users that
were not password protected could be accessed and I copied their datafiles
into the new users I created for them, I just can't access my own stuff and
copy to my new user. This leaves me with a folder that will never be
accessable and drive space that cannot be recovered as well as a loss of all
my business databases.
2 answers Last reply
More about access denied user folder opsys reinstall home

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

    "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "jrhizor" wrote:

    | I reinstalled the XP home from my partitioned drive that was shipped with my
    | new HP, and as it installed it backed up the users data. After the install I
    | went to the windows explorer and clicked on my old user and it said access
    | denied. I logged in as admin and got the same message. My user was password
    | protected and had been checked as private. Now the folder sits in on the
    | c:drive with all of my personal docs inside, but I cannot access the folder.
    | Is there a way to restore the user, or login in to it? The old users that
    | were not password protected could be accessed and I copied their datafiles
    | into the new users I created for them, I just can't access my own stuff and
    | copy to my new user. This leaves me with a folder that will never be
    | accessable and drive space that cannot be recovered as well as a loss of all
    | my business databases.

    I have the same problem as jrhizor but when I follow the referenced procedure
    to take ownership the "Use Simple File Sharing" check box does not exist. I
    used Xcacls.vbs to change ownership and grant rights from the command line
    but I still get "Access Denied"

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp
    >
    > "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881&Product=winxp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "jrhizor" wrote:
    >
    > | I reinstalled the XP home from my partitioned drive that was shipped with my
    > | new HP, and as it installed it backed up the users data. After the install I
    > | went to the windows explorer and clicked on my old user and it said access
    > | denied. I logged in as admin and got the same message. My user was password
    > | protected and had been checked as private. Now the folder sits in on the
    > | c:drive with all of my personal docs inside, but I cannot access the folder.
    > | Is there a way to restore the user, or login in to it? The old users that
    > | were not password protected could be accessed and I copied their datafiles
    > | into the new users I created for them, I just can't access my own stuff and
    > | copy to my new user. This leaves me with a folder that will never be
    > | accessable and drive space that cannot be recovered as well as a loss of all
    > | my business databases.

Windows XP