Closed

Access Denied to user folder after opsys reinstall XP Home..

January 6, 2005 11:13:01 AM

I reinstalled the XP home from my partitioned drive that was shipped with my
new HP, and as it installed it backed up the users data. After the install I
went to the windows explorer and clicked on my old user and it said access
denied. I logged in as admin and got the same message. My user was password
protected and had been checked as private. Now the folder sits in on the
c:D rive with all of my personal docs inside, but I cannot access the folder.
Is there a way to restore the user, or login in to it? The old users that
were not password protected could be accessed and I copied their datafiles
into the new users I created for them, I just can't access my own stuff and
copy to my new user. This leaves me with a folder that will never be
accessable and drive space that cannot be recovered as well as a loss of all
my business databases.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 1:17:52 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"jrhizor" wrote:

| I reinstalled the XP home from my partitioned drive that was shipped with my
| new HP, and as it installed it backed up the users data. After the install I
| went to the windows explorer and clicked on my old user and it said access
| denied. I logged in as admin and got the same message. My user was password
| protected and had been checked as private. Now the folder sits in on the
| c:D rive with all of my personal docs inside, but I cannot access the folder.
| Is there a way to restore the user, or login in to it? The old users that
| were not password protected could be accessed and I copied their datafiles
| into the new users I created for them, I just can't access my own stuff and
| copy to my new user. This leaves me with a folder that will never be
| accessable and drive space that cannot be recovered as well as a loss of all
| my business databases.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:17:03 PM

I have the same problem as jrhizor but when I follow the referenced procedure
to take ownership the "Use Simple File Sharing" check box does not exist. I
used Xcacls.vbs to change ownership and grant rights from the command line
but I still get "Access Denied"

!