Windows Firewall won't load

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Have XP SP2 and the firewall has been running for some time. Now I have a
security warning in the system tray saying the firewall won't load.

When I follow the recommendation to turn it on, it says it can't turn it on
and recommends going into Control Panel. When I try to turn it on here, I
get a message saying:

"Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
service."

The only thing that I have done to the system was I installed the beta of
the Microsoft AntiSpyware software. I believe the problem started after I
installed and ran this. I have subsequently removed it, but it has not fixed
the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
14 answers Last reply
More about windows firewall load
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Error Message When You Try to Turn On Internet Connection Sharing
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827328&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "rlittleson" wrote:

    | Have XP SP2 and the firewall has been running for some time. Now I have a
    | security warning in the system tray saying the firewall won't load.
    |
    | When I follow the recommendation to turn it on, it says it can't turn it on
    | and recommends going into Control Panel. When I try to turn it on here, I
    | get a message saying:
    |
    | "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    | service."
    |
    | The only thing that I have done to the system was I installed the beta of
    | the Microsoft AntiSpyware software. I believe the problem started after I
    | installed and ran this. I have subsequently removed it, but it has not fixed
    | the problem.
    |
    | Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    |
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Thanks for the reply. Went through these steps, but it didn't address it.
    All of those services had a check in front of them - although some were
    stopped.

    Any other thoughts?

    Thanks.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Error Message When You Try to Turn On Internet Connection Sharing
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827328&Product=winxp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >
    > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > "rlittleson" wrote:
    >
    > | Have XP SP2 and the firewall has been running for some time. Now I have a
    > | security warning in the system tray saying the firewall won't load.
    > |
    > | When I follow the recommendation to turn it on, it says it can't turn it on
    > | and recommends going into Control Panel. When I try to turn it on here, I
    > | get a message saying:
    > |
    > | "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    > | service."
    > |
    > | The only thing that I have done to the system was I installed the beta of
    > | the Microsoft AntiSpyware software. I believe the problem started after I
    > | installed and ran this. I have subsequently removed it, but it has not fixed
    > | the problem.
    > |
    > | Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    > |
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    rlittleson wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply. Went through these steps, but it didn't address it.
    > All of those services had a check in front of them - although some were
    > stopped.
    >
    > Any other thoughts?
    Hi

    Registering the following DLLs might help.

    From Start/Run, run the following commands:

    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll

    then

    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll

    Then do a reboot.


    If the above doesn't work, see if the tip from Karl B/Melvin
    Salazar works for you, changing the log on account for the
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service:


    <quote>

    From: "Karl B" <karl@gfield.org.uk>
    Subject: Possible solution to the windows update 0x800A0046 problem
    Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 12:03:39 +0100
    Newsgroups: microsoft.private.xpsp2.general

    Firstly, I take no credit for this I was going though the network
    newsgroup because my dialup network settings had vanished and a guy
    named Melvin Salazar suggested the following which WORKED!

    'You can also try doing the following, it worked for me:

    Go to Services under the Administrative Tools folder.

    Notice that the logon account is set to a NT/User account under the RPC
    (remote procedure call) service. Change it to Local System account,
    under the Logon tab, and restart the computer. Many of these services
    depend on the RPC, but there was an error when it came to configuring
    this paticular service.'

    Now once I made these changes I was able to get my network icons back
    as well as use Windows Update.

    Thanks
    Karl

    </quote>


    --
    torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    which services in the kb article list were not started? if it's critical to
    the firewall, you'll need to get them started before the firewall can start.
    I'd take a quick look through eventvwr and see if there are any errors from
    the service controller about failing to start these services.

    --
    David
    Microsoft Windows Networking
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.


    "rlittleson" <rlittleson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:895BD309-1CD0-426B-89DF-453BDC411E38@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks for the reply. Went through these steps, but it didn't address it.
    > All of those services had a check in front of them - although some were
    > stopped.
    >
    > Any other thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Error Message When You Try to Turn On Internet Connection Sharing
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827328&Product=winxp
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >>
    >> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >>
    >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>
    >> "rlittleson" wrote:
    >>
    >> | Have XP SP2 and the firewall has been running for some time. Now I
    >> have a
    >> | security warning in the system tray saying the firewall won't load.
    >> |
    >> | When I follow the recommendation to turn it on, it says it can't turn
    >> it on
    >> | and recommends going into Control Panel. When I try to turn it on
    >> here, I
    >> | get a message saying:
    >> |
    >> | "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
    >> (ICS)
    >> | service."
    >> |
    >> | The only thing that I have done to the system was I installed the beta
    >> of
    >> | the Microsoft AntiSpyware software. I believe the problem started
    >> after I
    >> | installed and ran this. I have subsequently removed it, but it has not
    >> fixed
    >> | the problem.
    >> |
    >> | Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >> |
    >>
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Hello there. I have exactly the same problem as rlittleson as in the Windows
    Firewall won't load and this only started happening after i had installed the
    Beta version of MS Spyware.

    I have followed all the steps detailed in all the replies and the issue is
    still there.
    Are there any other things we can try.

    Thanks

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > rlittleson wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the reply. Went through these steps, but it didn't address it.
    > > All of those services had a check in front of them - although some were
    > > stopped.
    > >
    > > Any other thoughts?
    > Hi
    >
    > Registering the following DLLs might help.
    >
    > From Start/Run, run the following commands:
    >
    > regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll
    >
    > then
    >
    > regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
    > regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
    > regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
    > regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll
    >
    > Then do a reboot.
    >
    >
    > If the above doesn't work, see if the tip from Karl B/Melvin
    > Salazar works for you, changing the log on account for the
    > Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service:
    >
    >
    > <quote>
    >
    > From: "Karl B" <karl@gfield.org.uk>
    > Subject: Possible solution to the windows update 0x800A0046 problem
    > Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 12:03:39 +0100
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.private.xpsp2.general
    >
    > Firstly, I take no credit for this I was going though the network
    > newsgroup because my dialup network settings had vanished and a guy
    > named Melvin Salazar suggested the following which WORKED!
    >
    > 'You can also try doing the following, it worked for me:
    >
    > Go to Services under the Administrative Tools folder.
    >
    > Notice that the logon account is set to a NT/User account under the RPC
    > (remote procedure call) service. Change it to Local System account,
    > under the Logon tab, and restart the computer. Many of these services
    > depend on the RPC, but there was an error when it came to configuring
    > this paticular service.'
    >
    > Now once I made these changes I was able to get my network icons back
    > as well as use Windows Update.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Karl
    >
    > </quote>
    >
    >
    > --
    > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    > Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
    >
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    This hint from the spyware newsgroup helped in my case. Simple.
    All systems up and running.

    From: microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

    Subject: Re: Firewall
    From: "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> Sent:
    1/8/2005 10:03:59 PM

    Please try this:

    At a command prompt type:

    netsh winsock reset

    and hit enter
    restart your computer.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    IT WORKS!!!!!....LOL

    I DID ALL 3 OF THEM..AND IT WORKS..
    THANKS GUYS FOR THE HELP!
    ..

    i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM SINCE I INSTALLED THE SPYWARE FROM MICROSOFT..


    "rlittleson" wrote:

    > Have XP SP2 and the firewall has been running for some time. Now I have a
    > security warning in the system tray saying the firewall won't load.
    >
    > When I follow the recommendation to turn it on, it says it can't turn it on
    > and recommends going into Control Panel. When I try to turn it on here, I
    > get a message saying:
    >
    > "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    > service."
    >
    > The only thing that I have done to the system was I installed the beta of
    > the Microsoft AntiSpyware software. I believe the problem started after I
    > installed and ran this. I have subsequently removed it, but it has not fixed
    > the problem.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I have the same problem.. so will try this. My MS AntiSpyware (Beta) has
    been installed for some time without problem. Also have Ad-aware free
    edition. But just got about 100 spyware on system today! MSAS went
    berserk! Got a lot and Ad-aware got some more. Downloaded and installed
    WinPatrol, Ewido security suite and SpywareBlaster. Now downloading ZoneAlarm.

    It's like my PC has 4 or5 condoms on!

    Did a Google search and there's also something here:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/archive/index/t-16323.html

    ~graham
    _________________________________________
    "The best years of our lives were sent on a computer"
    __whether we wanted to or not.

    ===================================================
    ===================================================

    "friedrich" wrote:

    >
    > This hint from the spyware newsgroup helped in my case. Simple.
    > All systems up and running.
    >
    > From: microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
    >
    > Subject: Re: Firewall
    > From: "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> Sent:
    > 1/8/2005 10:03:59 PM
    >
    > Please try this:
    >
    > At a command prompt type:
    >
    > netsh winsock reset
    >
    > and hit enter
    > restart your computer.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    If you turn off scripting in IE you would never need to worry about Spyware
    again.

    Give it a try for a week. You will be amazed at how much better your system
    runs.


    "furball" <furball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:BCAD8E97-9B6F-4553-9BA1-EEB2191EAA7F@microsoft.com...
    >I have the same problem.. so will try this. My MS AntiSpyware (Beta) has
    > been installed for some time without problem. Also have Ad-aware free
    > edition. But just got about 100 spyware on system today! MSAS went
    > berserk! Got a lot and Ad-aware got some more. Downloaded and installed
    > WinPatrol, Ewido security suite and SpywareBlaster. Now downloading
    > ZoneAlarm.
    >
    > It's like my PC has 4 or5 condoms on!
    >
    > Did a Google search and there's also something here:
    > http://www.techspot.com/vb/archive/index/t-16323.html
    >
    > ~graham
    > _________________________________________
    > "The best years of our lives were sent on a computer"
    > __whether we wanted to or not.
    >
    > ===================================================
    > ===================================================
    >
    > "friedrich" wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> This hint from the spyware newsgroup helped in my case. Simple.
    >> All systems up and running.
    >>
    >> From: microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
    >>
    >> Subject: Re: Firewall
    >> From: "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> Sent:
    >> 1/8/2005 10:03:59 PM
    >>
    >> Please try this:
    >>
    >> At a command prompt type:
    >>
    >> netsh winsock reset
    >>
    >> and hit enter
    >> restart your computer.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    At a command prompt type:
    netsh winsock reset
    and hit enter
    THIS WORKS....

    * turn off scripting in IE ..... Thank you..

    I will try that..

    I'm using Firefox 1, [not because I don't like MSIE] but because I fell in
    love with using it and the plugins at 1st sight. (Alright I have a boring
    life - the only bright spot is the malware, trojens, spyware, and funny extra
    Reg Keys I now have..)

    Poor old MSIE6, or should I say THE VERY LATEST version was asleep when it
    got hit with home page, search change and new folders in Favourites
    extolling me to gamble with wine, women and song... Well, I've already done
    all that, and I still not happy!!!!

    What MSAS and Ad-aware missed Ewido got another 9 x Bargain Buddy and 1 x
    Winpup32..

    SpyBot S&D after Ewido got TurboDownload, DSOExploit, DyFuCa,
    ISearchTech.PowerScan and ShopAtHome. ( Pity I don't have a credit card. )

    Who is this Bargain Buddy? He's a persistent little devil...

    ~graham
    __________________________________________
    "We'll always have Windows 95..."

    __________________________________________________________________

    "Curt Briscar" wrote:

    > If you turn off scripting in IE you would never need to worry about Spyware
    > again.
    >
    > Give it a try for a week. You will be amazed at how much better your system
    > runs.
    >
    >
    > "furball" <furball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:BCAD8E97-9B6F-4553-9BA1-EEB2191EAA7F@microsoft.com...
    > >I have the same problem.. so will try this. My MS AntiSpyware (Beta) has
    > > been installed for some time without problem. Also have Ad-aware free
    > > edition. But just got about 100 spyware on system today! MSAS went
    > > berserk! Got a lot and Ad-aware got some more. Downloaded and installed
    > > WinPatrol, Ewido security suite and SpywareBlaster. Now downloading
    > > ZoneAlarm.
    > >
    > > It's like my PC has 4 or5 condoms on!
    > >
    > > Did a Google search and there's also something here:
    > > http://www.techspot.com/vb/archive/index/t-16323.html
    > >
    > > ~graham
    > > _________________________________________
    > > "The best years of our lives were sent on a computer"
    > > __whether we wanted to or not.
    > >
    > > ===================================================
    > > ===================================================
    > >
    > > "friedrich" wrote:
    > >
    > >>
    > >> This hint from the spyware newsgroup helped in my case. Simple.
    > >> All systems up and running.
    > >>
    > >> From: microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
    > >>
    > >> Subject: Re: Firewall
    > >> From: "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> Sent:
    > >> 1/8/2005 10:03:59 PM
    > >>
    > >> Please try this:
    > >>
    > >> At a command prompt type:
    > >>
    > >> netsh winsock reset
    > >>
    > >> and hit enter
    > >> restart your computer.
    >
    >
    >
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Found the solution to your problem. I had the same thing happen. Some
    program or virus caused your winsock settings to be changed. You can
    fix this with the free program winsockfix at
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html It gives you the option
    of backing up the registry before doing the fix which I did but had no
    problems. As soon as I restarted, I was able to turn the sp2 firewall
    back on.

    Hope this helps.


    --
    imaref
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imaref's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=9684
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=797774
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    imaref wrote:

    > Found the solution to your problem. I had the same thing happen. Some
    > program or virus caused your winsock settings to be changed. You can
    > fix this with the free program winsockfix at
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html It gives you the option
    > of backing up the registry before doing the fix which I did but had no
    > problems. As soon as I restarted, I was able to turn the sp2 firewall
    > back on.
    Hi

    For WinXP SP2, this should also fix it:


    Start/Run --> cmd.exe

    and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:

    netsh.exe winsock reset

    and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.


    --
    torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Trying to back up the registry with Winsock and TCP Repair Utility,
    I get the following message..

    ______________________________
    Warning!

    X Error saving file
    C:\ERDNT\SECURITY !

    Continue with the next file?

    Yes No
    ______________________________

    Using WinXP SP2 with every latest patch..

    Had to back up the registry from Registry Editor..

    Otherwise program worked, I think..

    ~graham
    ___________________________________________________________
    "Look into my eyes... Bargain Buddy is your friend..!"

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > imaref wrote:
    >
    > > Found the solution to your problem. I had the same thing happen. Some
    > > program or virus caused your winsock settings to be changed. You can
    > > fix this with the free program winsockfix at
    > > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html It gives you the option
    > > of backing up the registry before doing the fix which I did but had no
    > > problems. As soon as I restarted, I was able to turn the sp2 firewall
    > > back on.
    > Hi
    >
    > For WinXP SP2, this should also fix it:
    >
    >
    > Start/Run --> cmd.exe
    >
    > and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
    >
    > netsh.exe winsock reset
    >
    > and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.
    >
    >
    > --
    > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    > Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
    >
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    THANKS ALL!!!.... IT WORK.. I TRYED ALL OF THE SOLUTIONS AT ONCE... REBOOT,,
    EVERYTHING FINE NOW.

    "furball" wrote:

    >
    > Trying to back up the registry with Winsock and TCP Repair Utility,
    > I get the following message..
    >
    > ______________________________
    > Warning!
    >
    > X Error saving file
    > C:\ERDNT\SECURITY !
    >
    > Continue with the next file?
    >
    > Yes No
    > ______________________________
    >
    > Using WinXP SP2 with every latest patch..
    >
    > Had to back up the registry from Registry Editor..
    >
    > Otherwise program worked, I think..
    >
    > ~graham
    > ___________________________________________________________
    > "Look into my eyes... Bargain Buddy is your friend..!"
    >
    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > imaref wrote:
    > >
    > > > Found the solution to your problem. I had the same thing happen. Some
    > > > program or virus caused your winsock settings to be changed. You can
    > > > fix this with the free program winsockfix at
    > > > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html It gives you the option
    > > > of backing up the registry before doing the fix which I did but had no
    > > > problems. As soon as I restarted, I was able to turn the sp2 firewall
    > > > back on.
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > For WinXP SP2, this should also fix it:
    > >
    > >
    > > Start/Run --> cmd.exe
    > >
    > > and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
    > >
    > > netsh.exe winsock reset
    > >
    > > and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    > > Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    > > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
    > >
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP