Hotfix for KB 837490 will not install (Incident SRX0501066..

January 6, 2005 1:33:08 PM

I have Windows XP Professional SP2 with all the latest Windows Updates as of
January 6, 2004, and effected by the problem described in Knowledge Base
Article 837490 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837490) (The Dial-in tab
does not appear when you use the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in
to view the properties for a domain user on a Windows XP-based computer). I
called the Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix that is
available to resolve the problem. I received an email and downloaded the
hotfix, but when I go to install it I receive the error:

Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is
newer than the update you are applying.

There is no need to install this update.

The Knowledge Base Article states that it applies to Microsoft Windows XP
Professional SP2, so I don’t understand why during installation that the
Hotfix stops with the error that “Setup has detected that the Service Pack
version of this system is newer than the update you are applying.�

I was told when I called in if I need any additional support on this problem
other than obtaining the hotfix it would cost $245. I am not willing to pay
for a problem known by Microsoft and the hotfix does not work.

Is there any way to obtain a hotfix than works and resolve the issue?

Thanks,
Scott I. Kraft
Systems Administrator
Institute for Systems Biology
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 10:58:24 PM

Scott Kraft wrote:

> I have Windows XP Professional SP2 with all the latest Windows Updates as of
> January 6, 2004, and effected by the problem described in Knowledge Base
> Article 837490 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837490) (The Dial-in tab
> does not appear when you use the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in
> to view the properties for a domain user on a Windows XP-based computer). I
> called the Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix that is
> available to resolve the problem. I received an email and downloaded the
> hotfix, but when I go to install it I receive the error:
>
> Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is
> newer than the update you are applying.
>
> There is no need to install this update.
>
> The Knowledge Base Article states that it applies to Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional SP2, so I don’t understand why during installation that the
> Hotfix stops with the error that “Setup has detected that the Service Pack
> version of this system is newer than the update you are applying.�
Hi

My feeling is that PSS sent you an older version of this hotfix.

If you extract the hotfix executable (not the original zip file) using
the command line parameter /x, does the version numbers for the 3 dll
files in the KB article correspond with the extracted ones?

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
January 6, 2005 10:58:25 PM

Torgeir,

Thanks for the suggestion. The date (09-Mar-2004) and decimal version
numbers (5.1.2600.1351) of the 3 dll match, but the time and comma version
numbers (i.e. 956,416) do not match. Is this an issue?

After extracting the hotfix I looked at the update.inf and found under the
Version section the following.

Signature = "$Windows NT$"
LanguageType = %LangTypeValue%
NtBuildToUpdate = 2600
NtMajorVersionToUpdate = 5
NtMinorVersionToUpdate = 1
MaxNtBuildToUpdate = 2600
MaxNtMajorVersionToUpdate = 5
MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate = 1
MinNtServicePackVersion=256
ThisServicePackVersion = 512
MaxNtServicePackVersion=256
CatalogFile = %SP_SHORT_TITLE%.cat

I am not a programmer, but this update.inf appears to limit this hotfix to
only Service Pack 1 of Windows XP even though the KB says it appeals to
Service Pack 2 (i.e. MaxNtServicePackVersion=256). It appears to me that
MaxNtServicePackVersion should be 512 if this hotfix is to work with Service
Pack 2.

Thanks,
Scott

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> Hi
>
> My feeling is that PSS sent you an older version of this hotfix.
>
> If you extract the hotfix executable (not the original zip file) using
> the command line parameter /x, does the version numbers for the 3 dll
> files in the KB article correspond with the extracted ones?

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...

January 7, 2005 12:47:57 AM

Scott Kraft wrote:

> Torgeir,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. The date (09-Mar-2004) and decimal version
> numbers (5.1.2600.1351) of the 3 dll match, but the time and comma version
> numbers (i.e. 956,416) do not match. Is this an issue?

No, and note that the time listed in the KB article is in UTC (documented
in the article as well).

> After extracting the hotfix I looked at the update.inf and found under the
> Version section the following.
>
> Signature = "$Windows NT$"
> LanguageType = %LangTypeValue%
> NtBuildToUpdate = 2600
> NtMajorVersionToUpdate = 5
> NtMinorVersionToUpdate = 1
> MaxNtBuildToUpdate = 2600
> MaxNtMajorVersionToUpdate = 5
> MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate = 1
> MinNtServicePackVersion=256
> ThisServicePackVersion = 512
> MaxNtServicePackVersion=256
> CatalogFile = %SP_SHORT_TITLE%.cat
>
> I am not a programmer, but this update.inf appears to limit this hotfix to
> only Service Pack 1 of Windows XP even though the KB says it appeals to
> Service Pack 2 (i.e. MaxNtServicePackVersion=256). It appears to me that
> MaxNtServicePackVersion should be 512 if this hotfix is to work with Service
> Pack 2.

I agree on the 512 number as well.

I suggest you call PSS back and state the message the hotfix displays,
but that the KB article says that it should apply to SP2 as well.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
January 7, 2005 12:47:58 AM

Torgeir,

I called back and was now told that this hotfix is included with Service
Pack 2 (which is different that what I was told when I first called in and
the Knowledge Base Article states). They also said it would cost $245 to
receive any addition support with this problem.

I guess that I will have to live with this bug and use the work around of
using Terminal Services to a Domain Controller to access the Dial-in tab for
a user.

Thanks,
Scott

!