Hotfix for KB 837490 will not install (Incident SRX0501066..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I have Windows XP Professional SP2 with all the latest Windows Updates as of
January 6, 2004, and effected by the problem described in Knowledge Base
Article 837490 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837490) (The Dial-in tab
does not appear when you use the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in
to view the properties for a domain user on a Windows XP-based computer). I
called the Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix that is
available to resolve the problem. I received an email and downloaded the
hotfix, but when I go to install it I receive the error:

Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is
newer than the update you are applying.

There is no need to install this update.

The Knowledge Base Article states that it applies to Microsoft Windows XP
Professional SP2, so I don’t understand why during installation that the
Hotfix stops with the error that “Setup has detected that the Service Pack
version of this system is newer than the update you are applying.�

I was told when I called in if I need any additional support on this problem
other than obtaining the hotfix it would cost $245. I am not willing to pay
for a problem known by Microsoft and the hotfix does not work.

Is there any way to obtain a hotfix than works and resolve the issue?

Thanks,
Scott I. Kraft
Systems Administrator
Institute for Systems Biology
4 answers Last reply
More about hotfix 837490 install incident srx0501066
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Scott Kraft wrote:

    > I have Windows XP Professional SP2 with all the latest Windows Updates as of
    > January 6, 2004, and effected by the problem described in Knowledge Base
    > Article 837490 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837490) (The Dial-in tab
    > does not appear when you use the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in
    > to view the properties for a domain user on a Windows XP-based computer). I
    > called the Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix that is
    > available to resolve the problem. I received an email and downloaded the
    > hotfix, but when I go to install it I receive the error:
    >
    > Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is
    > newer than the update you are applying.
    >
    > There is no need to install this update.
    >
    > The Knowledge Base Article states that it applies to Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional SP2, so I don’t understand why during installation that the
    > Hotfix stops with the error that “Setup has detected that the Service Pack
    > version of this system is newer than the update you are applying.�
    Hi

    My feeling is that PSS sent you an older version of this hotfix.

    If you extract the hotfix executable (not the original zip file) using
    the command line parameter /x, does the version numbers for the 3 dll
    files in the KB article correspond with the extracted ones?


    --
    torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Torgeir,

    Thanks for the suggestion. The date (09-Mar-2004) and decimal version
    numbers (5.1.2600.1351) of the 3 dll match, but the time and comma version
    numbers (i.e. 956,416) do not match. Is this an issue?

    After extracting the hotfix I looked at the update.inf and found under the
    Version section the following.

    Signature = "$Windows NT$"
    LanguageType = %LangTypeValue%
    NtBuildToUpdate = 2600
    NtMajorVersionToUpdate = 5
    NtMinorVersionToUpdate = 1
    MaxNtBuildToUpdate = 2600
    MaxNtMajorVersionToUpdate = 5
    MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate = 1
    MinNtServicePackVersion=256
    ThisServicePackVersion = 512
    MaxNtServicePackVersion=256
    CatalogFile = %SP_SHORT_TITLE%.cat

    I am not a programmer, but this update.inf appears to limit this hotfix to
    only Service Pack 1 of Windows XP even though the KB says it appeals to
    Service Pack 2 (i.e. MaxNtServicePackVersion=256). It appears to me that
    MaxNtServicePackVersion should be 512 if this hotfix is to work with Service
    Pack 2.

    Thanks,
    Scott

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > My feeling is that PSS sent you an older version of this hotfix.
    >
    > If you extract the hotfix executable (not the original zip file) using
    > the command line parameter /x, does the version numbers for the 3 dll
    > files in the KB article correspond with the extracted ones?
    >
    >
    > --
    > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    > Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Scott Kraft wrote:

    > Torgeir,
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion. The date (09-Mar-2004) and decimal version
    > numbers (5.1.2600.1351) of the 3 dll match, but the time and comma version
    > numbers (i.e. 956,416) do not match. Is this an issue?

    No, and note that the time listed in the KB article is in UTC (documented
    in the article as well).


    > After extracting the hotfix I looked at the update.inf and found under the
    > Version section the following.
    >
    > Signature = "$Windows NT$"
    > LanguageType = %LangTypeValue%
    > NtBuildToUpdate = 2600
    > NtMajorVersionToUpdate = 5
    > NtMinorVersionToUpdate = 1
    > MaxNtBuildToUpdate = 2600
    > MaxNtMajorVersionToUpdate = 5
    > MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate = 1
    > MinNtServicePackVersion=256
    > ThisServicePackVersion = 512
    > MaxNtServicePackVersion=256
    > CatalogFile = %SP_SHORT_TITLE%.cat
    >
    > I am not a programmer, but this update.inf appears to limit this hotfix to
    > only Service Pack 1 of Windows XP even though the KB says it appeals to
    > Service Pack 2 (i.e. MaxNtServicePackVersion=256). It appears to me that
    > MaxNtServicePackVersion should be 512 if this hotfix is to work with Service
    > Pack 2.

    I agree on the 512 number as well.

    I suggest you call PSS back and state the message the hotfix displays,
    but that the KB article says that it should apply to SP2 as well.


    --
    torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Torgeir,

    I called back and was now told that this hotfix is included with Service
    Pack 2 (which is different that what I was told when I first called in and
    the Knowledge Base Article states). They also said it would cost $245 to
    receive any addition support with this problem.

    I guess that I will have to live with this bug and use the work around of
    using Terminal Services to a Domain Controller to access the Dial-in tab for
    a user.

    Thanks,
    Scott


    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > I agree on the 512 number as well.
    >
    > I suggest you call PSS back and state the message the hotfix displays,
    > but that the KB article says that it should apply to SP2 as well.
    >
    >
    > --
    > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    > Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
Ask a new question

Read More

Microsoft Windows XP