AGP Settings

kerplunkuk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2003

Is there any way to check AGP settings? My mobo manual says its 8x AGP. I
have the latest bios, but it only has 4x listed in the bios options. 3D
mark says I have 8x AGP on my board.
Is there a tool that will say what I actually have, and allow me to change?
Ta

--
Victoria Concordia Crescit

you can always check by running "dxdiag" with out the quotes....

"KerplunKuK" <kerplunk@greenday.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Is there any way to check AGP settings? My mobo manual says its 8x AGP.
> have the latest bios, but it only has 4x listed in the bios options. 3D
> mark says I have 8x AGP on my board.
> Is there a tool that will say what I actually have, and allow me to
change?
> Ta
>
> --
> Victoria Concordia Crescit

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"KerplunKuK" <kerplunk@greenday.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Is there any way to check AGP settings? My mobo manual says its 8x AGP.
> have the latest bios, but it only has 4x listed in the bios options. 3D
> mark says I have 8x AGP on my board.
> Is there a tool that will say what I actually have, and allow me to
change?
> Ta

Powerstrip gives detailed info, and allows you to force AGP values, as well
as sidebanding and fast writes, immediately from the applet.

On Wed, 5 May 2004 03:29:21 +0100, "KerplunKuK"
<kerplunk@greenday.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Is there any way to check AGP settings? My mobo manual says its 8x AGP. I
>have the latest bios, but it only has 4x listed in the bios options. 3D
>mark says I have 8x AGP on my board.
>Is there a tool that will say what I actually have, and allow me to change?
>Ta

Is your card an AGP 8x capable card, and do you have the chipset
drivers installed?

patrickp

kerplunkuk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2003

"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 5 May 2004 03:29:21 +0100, "KerplunKuK"
> <kerplunk@greenday.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Is there any way to check AGP settings? My mobo manual says its 8x AGP.
> >have the latest bios, but it only has 4x listed in the bios options. 3D
> >mark says I have 8x AGP on my board.
> >Is there a tool that will say what I actually have, and allow me to
change?
> >Ta
>

> Is your card an AGP 8x capable card, and do you have the chipset
> drivers installed?

Yes it is I have a radeon 9800 Pro, and I have the stock ATI drivers
installed

--
Victoria Concordia Crescit

kerplunkuk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2003

> you can always check by running "dxdiag" with out the quotes....

Did the above, but could not see anywhere in there where it lists AGP speed.

--
Victoria Concordia Crescit

On Wed, 5 May 2004 14:44:43 +0100, "KerplunKuK"
<kerplunk@greenday.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 5 May 2004 03:29:21 +0100, "KerplunKuK"
>> <kerplunk@greenday.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >Is there any way to check AGP settings? My mobo manual says its 8x AGP.
>> >have the latest bios, but it only has 4x listed in the bios options. 3D
>> >mark says I have 8x AGP on my board.
>> >Is there a tool that will say what I actually have, and allow me to
>change?
>> >Ta
>>

>> Is your card an AGP 8x capable card, and do you have the chipset
>> drivers installed?
>>

>Yes it is I have a radeon 9800 Pro, and I have the stock ATI drivers
>installed

No, not the ATI display drivers, the drivers for the chipset on your
mobo. Without these, many things in your system will work poorly,
among them your AGP capability. Check your mobo manufacturer's site.

Incidentally, though, when you say "stock ATI drivers," do you mean
the drivers from the CD, drivers downloaded from Ati's site or drivers
installed by a Windows update? The last is a real no-no.

patrickp

kerplunkuk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2003

> No, not the ATI display drivers, the drivers for the chipset on your
> mobo. Without these, many things in your system will work poorly,
> among them your AGP capability. Check your mobo manufacturer's site.
>
> Incidentally, though, when you say "stock ATI drivers," do you mean
> the drivers from the CD, drivers downloaded from Ati's site or drivers
> installed by a Windows update? The last is a real no-no.

From the drivers CD. I have checked with my mobo manufacturer, but they are
poor, no downloads are listed on their site for my board. It is a jetway
V400/DA/DAP?DAZ or lex bn942 depending on who you believe. Windows update
shows that all my drivers are upto date. Not inc ATI!
Whats my next step? Jetway and lex/bona do not reply.
--

KerplunKuK wrote:
>> Incidentally, though, when you say "stock ATI drivers," do you mean
>> the drivers from the CD, drivers downloaded from Ati's site or drivers
>> installed by a Windows update? The last is a real no-no.
>
> From the drivers CD. I have checked with my mobo manufacturer, but they
> are poor, no downloads are listed on their site for my board. It is a
> jetway V400/DA/DAP?DAZ or lex bn942 depending on who you believe.

Now I'm confused. Are you talking about your ATI drivers or your
motherboard drivers?

The Jetway V400 motherboard uses the Via KT400A chipset, updated drivers are
here:
http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1/VIA_Hyperion%204IN1_V451v.zip

Once you have done that and rebooted, download and install the Cat4.4s from
here:
http://www.ati.com/home/online/CatalystXPdriver.html

> Windows update shows that all my drivers are upto date.

Windows Update has little idea about updated drivers, as not all drivers are
even WHQL certified.

Ben

kerplunkuk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2003

"Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The Jetway V400 motherboard uses the Via KT400A chipset, updated drivers
are
> here:
> http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1/VIA_Hyperion%204IN1_V451v.zip
>
> Once you have done that and rebooted, download and install the Cat4.4s
from
> here:
> http://www.ati.com/home/online/CatalystXPdriver.html

Cheers Ben, did what you suggested and I'm now sorted.

Cheers mate
--

KerplunKuK wrote:
> "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> The Jetway V400 motherboard uses the Via KT400A chipset, updated drivers
>> are here:
>> http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1/VIA_Hyperion%204IN1_V451v.zip
>>
>> Once you have done that and rebooted, download and install the Cat4.4s
>> from here:
>> http://www.ati.com/home/online/CatalystXPdriver.html
>
> Cheers Ben, did what you suggested and I'm now sorted.

No problem, glad it worked.

Ben