Svideo killed my desktop icons - 9800pro

Well I hooked my TV up to my Svideo connection on my 9800pro so I can use
either my monitor or TV for display.

Problem is my desktop no longer displays my desktop shortcuts. I checked my
C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX directory and everything remains intact
there. I can't even recreate the desktop links. I can however change the
desktop background image.

Any ideas how I can fix this problem?

tx LBJGH

---

bill

In article <bd_lc.406179$2oI1.17366
@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, bite_mee@hotsnail.back
says...
<
<Problem is my desktop no longer displays my desktop shortcuts. I checked my
<C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX directory and everything remains intact
<there. I can't even recreate the desktop links. I can however change the
<desktop background image.
<
<Any ideas how I can fix this problem?
<
<tx LBJGH
<

I seem to remember this happening before. It had something to do
with the tv getting assigned the primary display and the monitor
getting assigned the secondary display. The icons came up on the
tv, but since it was in 640 x 480 mode they were all off the edge,
kinda off in virtual space. I ended up disabling the tv setup in
safe mode < win2k > with the tv unplugged from the card which
forced everything to show up on the monitor when I rebooted.

Maybe something similar has occured with yours. This was with a
9700 Pro.

Bill

On Wed, 05 May 2004 04:38:31 GMT, "LBJGH" <bite_mee@hotsnail.back>
wrote:

>Well I hooked my TV up to my Svideo connection on my 9800pro so I can use
>either my monitor or TV for display.
>
>Problem is my desktop no longer displays my desktop shortcuts. I checked my
>C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX directory and everything remains intact
>there. I can't even recreate the desktop links. I can however change the
>desktop background image.
>
>Any ideas how I can fix this problem?
>
>tx LBJGH
>

>---

Erm, you haven't enabled Active Desktop and disabled icons, have you,
LBJGH? Right click on your desktop and see. Personally, I prefer my
display like this, and put all my icons on a toolbar.

patrickp

Nop, I don't have Active Desktop enabled... for now I created a shortcut to
my desktop on the quick launch bar. There are a few icons I like to have on
the desktop... just something I got use to I guess.

> Erm, you haven't enabled Active Desktop and disabled icons, have you,
> LBJGH? Right click on your desktop and see. Personally, I prefer my
> display like this, and put all my icons on a toolbar.
>

> patrickp
>
> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

---

I'll have to play around with primary displays but I believe the monitor is
primary since there is an option in the control panel to identify the
displays and the monitor has a large "1" and the TV has a large "2".

I try your suggestion about unplugging the TV and running in safe mode.

> I seem to remember this happening before. It had something to do
> with the tv getting assigned the primary display and the monitor
> getting assigned the secondary display. The icons came up on the
> tv, but since it was in 640 x 480 mode they were all off the edge,
> kinda off in virtual space. I ended up disabling the tv setup in
> safe mode < win2k > with the tv unplugged from the card which
> forced everything to show up on the monitor when I rebooted.
>
> Maybe something similar has occured with yours. This was with a
> 9700 Pro.
>
> Bill

---

I feel like a dink!

simple fix... right click on desktop | arrange icons by | Show desktop
Icons...

DOH!

"LBJGH" <bite_mee@hotsnail.back> wrote in message
> I'll have to play around with primary displays but I believe the monitor
is
> primary since there is an option in the control panel to identify the
> displays and the monitor has a large "1" and the TV has a large "2".
>
> I try your suggestion about unplugging the TV and running in safe mode.
>

> > I seem to remember this happening before. It had something to do
> > with the tv getting assigned the primary display and the monitor
> > getting assigned the secondary display. The icons came up on the
> > tv, but since it was in 640 x 480 mode they were all off the edge,
> > kinda off in virtual space. I ended up disabling the tv setup in
> > safe mode < win2k > with the tv unplugged from the card which
> > forced everything to show up on the monitor when I rebooted.
> >
> > Maybe something similar has occured with yours. This was with a
> > 9700 Pro.
> >
> > Bill
>

> ---

---