Half-life 2 won't start

1. I installed half-life 2 from CD.

2. I then realised that my CDs came without any CD key and I had thrown
my receipt away.

3. I then bought it from Steam. Steam did a small amount of
downloading, and I've been playing it for more than a month.

4. Now my Steam icon says "Steam - updating - 51% complete" when my
mouse pointer hangs over it in the system tray. Clicking on the icon
with either mouse button does nothing.

5. Attempting to run HL2 from CD or desktop icon does nothing.
Attempting to run Steam bails out, saying an instance is already
running.

I've tried all the obvious things. How do I fix this?

"Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
> 1. I installed half-life 2 from CD.
>
> 2. I then realised that my CDs came without any CD key and I had thrown
> my receipt away.
>
> 3. I then bought it from Steam. Steam did a small amount of
> downloading, and I've been playing it for more than a month.
>
> 4. Now my Steam icon says "Steam - updating - 51% complete" when my
> mouse pointer hangs over it in the system tray. Clicking on the icon
> with either mouse button does nothing.
>
> 5. Attempting to run HL2 from CD or desktop icon does nothing.
> Attempting to run Steam bails out, saying an instance is already
> running.
>
> I've tried all the obvious things. How do I fix this?

What do you mean it came without a CD key. You threw you receipt away the
same day you bought the game.

Sorry, but this sounds like a fish story, one that has been told over and
over again.

BTW, if you copy of the Game did indeed come without a cd key, you could
have returned it to where you bought it, you don't need a receipt to bring
it back and say "it doesn't contain a cd key".

> BTW, if you copy of the Game did indeed come without a cd key, you could
> have returned it to where you bought it, you don't need a receipt to bring
> it back and say "it doesn't contain a cd key".

Sorry to butt in but you need some proof that you bought the game, that
could be a receipt/bank statement etc..., the store won't just
replace/refund a product without any sort of written proof.

"Never Mind" <invalid@invaleid.invalid> wrote in message
>> BTW, if you copy of the Game did indeed come without a cd key, you could
>> have returned it to where you bought it, you don't need a receipt to
>> bring it back and say "it doesn't contain a cd key".
>
> Sorry to butt in but you need some proof that you bought the game, that
> could be a receipt/bank statement etc..., the store won't just
> replace/refund a product without any sort of written proof.

Wanna bet, I do it all the time , at Walmart, EB, Canadian Tire, etc etc. As
long as you are not asking for a refund, alot of stores will do it, if all
you are asking for is an exchange because the product doesn't work (i.e no
cd key). Also, I should note, they must carry that product in their store.

> What do you mean it came without a CD key. You threw you receipt away
the
> same day you bought the game.
>
> Sorry, but this sounds like a fish story, one that has been told over
and
> over again.

I know it sounds like a fish story, but I swear to you it's true. It
might be relevant to why my game won't work.

> BTW, if you copy of the Game did indeed come without a cd key, you
could
> have returned it to where you bought it, you don't need a receipt to
bring
> it back and say "it doesn't contain a cd key".

I need the receipt to get my money back or a refund. Anyway, I don't
care so much about the money. Why is Steam stuck? I can't load the
game.

>> What do you mean it came without a CD key. You threw you receipt away
> the
>> same day you bought the game.
>>
>> Sorry, but this sounds like a fish story, one that has been told over
> and
>> over again.
>
> I know it sounds like a fish story, but I swear to you it's true. It
> might be relevant to why my game won't work.
>
>> BTW, if you copy of the Game did indeed come without a cd key, you
> could
>> have returned it to where you bought it, you don't need a receipt to
> bring
>> it back and say "it doesn't contain a cd key".
>
> I need the receipt to get my money back or a refund. Anyway, I don't
> care so much about the money. Why is Steam stuck? I can't load the
> game.

I have to kill the steam exe and restart it sometimes.

"Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message

>> What do you mean it came without a CD key. You threw you receipt away
> the
>> same day you bought the game.
>>
>> Sorry, but this sounds like a fish story, one that has been told over
> and
>> over again.
>
> I know it sounds like a fish story, but I swear to you it's true. It
> might be relevant to why my game won't work.
>
>> BTW, if you copy of the Game did indeed come without a cd key, you
> could
>> have returned it to where you bought it, you don't need a receipt to
> bring
>> it back and say "it doesn't contain a cd key".
>
> I need the receipt to get my money back or a refund. Anyway, I don't
> care so much about the money. Why is Steam stuck? I can't load the
> game.

Bring it back, don't get a refund, get one with a CD KEY, that way you can
sell it if you don't install it on steam.

"Richard Cavell" <richardcavell@mail.com> wrote in message
>> What do you mean it came without a CD key. You threw you receipt
>> away the same day you bought the game.
>>
>> Sorry, but this sounds like a fish story, one that has been told
>> over and over again.
>
> I know it sounds like a fish story, but I swear to you it's true. It
> might be relevant to why my game won't work.
>
>> BTW, if you copy of the Game did indeed come without a cd key, you
>> could have returned it to where you bought it, you don't need a
>> receipt to bring it back and say "it doesn't contain a cd key".
>
> I need the receipt to get my money back or a refund. Anyway, I don't
> care so much about the money. Why is Steam stuck? I can't load the
> game.

but you don't WANT your money back, a refund. You spent the hard earned
money on the game, you want the GAME. So just exchange the one you have
for one you know has a key in it.
McG.

L'ecole wrote:
> Bring it back, don't get a refund, get one with a CD KEY, that way you can
> sell it if you don't install it on steam.

What on earth is that supposed to mean? There is no game without steam :
if you enable the game on steam then the key is invalid from that moment on.

BLkilller64

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
i have a diverent problem exept worse than that, any hl2 games arent working theyl start but you know the LOADING thing thats where it frezes up and all that after a update now i cant play tf2,cs,Gmod,ext its annoying i think theres a virus in the steam system