access is denied

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

OS: WinXP Pro SP2
My PC got a virus Downloader.Trojan, couldn't delete it via Norton
(updated), path is: C:\Windows\System32\04egd.dll. I tried to delete it using
command promt, but got an message "access is denied". How I can delete it?
Please, instruct me as much as in details, I'm not really good using command
promt.

Tom;
Run anti virus in Safe Mode:
Reboot tapping F8 each second.
Select Safe Mode at the menu.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OS: WinXP Pro SP2
> My PC got a virus Downloader.Trojan, couldn't delete it via Norton
> (updated), path is: C:\Windows\System32\04egd.dll. I tried to delete it
> using
> command promt, but got an message "access is denied". How I can delete it?
> Please, instruct me as much as in details, I'm not really good using
> command
> promt.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Jones
I already run Norton in Safe Mode, it found it, but couldn't repair nor
quarantie, and couldn't delete either. I tried to delete the infected file
04egd.dll manually using Windows Explorer and MS-Dos promt unsuccessfully. As
you know, I got "access is denied" error. I suspect this is the one the
reason why norton couldn't delete it. Any other suggestions?

Tom;
Verify Norton has the latest updates

See if this helps:
Line 39 right column "Delete an Undeletable File..."

--

> Hi Jones
> I already run Norton in Safe Mode, it found it, but couldn't repair nor
> quarantie, and couldn't delete either. I tried to delete the infected file
> 04egd.dll manually using Windows Explorer and MS-Dos promt unsuccessfully.
> As
> you know, I got "access is denied" error. I suspect this is the one the
> reason why norton couldn't delete it. Any other suggestions?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

thank you Jones