  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 7, 2004 1:24:32 AM

Ello all,

I'm trying to use the TV Output on my 8500DV but I've hit some problems.

When I'm using DirectShow etc, the video goes weird... like there's little
opposite-coloured blotches/pixels on the video... like so:
http://www.m3g4.co.uk/IMG_0022.jpg (The wall was meant to be green, but has
the blue blotches clearly visible)

I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm using the latest Catalyst drivers. It
usually happens on overscan, or theatre overlay mode. Any ideas guys?

More about : weird problem ati aiw8500dv

Anonymous
May 7, 2004 4:52:43 PM

On Thu, 6 May 2004 21:24:32 +0100, "M3G4" <m3g4_uk@nospam.ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm using the latest Catalyst drivers. It
>usually happens on overscan, or theatre overlay mode. Any ideas guys?

That's what you get when PAL tv-out is only 640x480. For better quality
you need 800x600. Theater Mode chooses the resolution automatically
according to the resolution of the video file you're playing.
Low resolution video is shown as 640x480.
For DivX movies you can fix it this way:

Install ffdshow (DivX/XviD decoder):
http://athos.leffe.dnsalias.com/ffdshow-20040501.exe
In ffdshow's configuration select and check 'Resize & aspect'.
Check 'Specify size' and change 'New size' to 800x600.
Check 'Keep original aspect ratio'.
Now your DivX movies should play in an 800x600 resolution, with black
bars added to keep the aspect ratio correct.
TV-out should look fine now. Works for me anyway.
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 2:14:24 AM

Check or replace your svideo cable. It should straight out the problem.

"M3G4" <m3g4_uk@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Ello all,
>
> I'm trying to use the TV Output on my 8500DV but I've hit some problems.
>
> When I'm using DirectShow etc, the video goes weird... like there's little
> opposite-coloured blotches/pixels on the video... like so:
> http://www.m3g4.co.uk/IMG_0022.jpg (The wall was meant to be green, but
has
> the blue blotches clearly visible)
>
> I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm using the latest Catalyst drivers. It
> usually happens on overscan, or theatre overlay mode. Any ideas guys?

June 2, 2004 1:55:33 AM

Thanks! Any idea how to change this for MPEG videos, too?
"erratic" <erratic@reply-to.address> wrote in message
> On Thu, 6 May 2004 21:24:32 +0100, "M3G4" <m3g4_uk@nospam.ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm using the latest Catalyst drivers.
It
> >usually happens on overscan, or theatre overlay mode. Any ideas guys?
>
> That's what you get when PAL tv-out is only 640x480. For better quality
> you need 800x600. Theater Mode chooses the resolution automatically
> according to the resolution of the video file you're playing.
> Low resolution video is shown as 640x480.
> For DivX movies you can fix it this way:
>
> Install ffdshow (DivX/XviD decoder):
> http://athos.leffe.dnsalias.com/ffdshow-20040501.exe
> In ffdshow's configuration select and check 'Resize & aspect'.
> Check 'Specify size' and change 'New size' to 800x600.
> Check 'Keep original aspect ratio'.
> Now your DivX movies should play in an 800x600 resolution, with black
> bars added to keep the aspect ratio correct.
> TV-out should look fine now. Works for me anyway.
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 2:30:45 AM

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:55:33 +0100, "M3G4" <m3g4_uk@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Thanks! Any idea how to change this for MPEG videos, too?

Well, ffdshow will open MPEG videos if you enable 'Raw video' in its
Codecs settings: change disabled to all supported. However, it won't
always read the aspect ratio correctly so you may have to tweak the
Resize & aspect settings. If necessary, try the 'Set aspect ratio
manually' option: 1.33:1 for 4:3 video and 1.78:1 for 16:9 video. After
watching a video with ffdshow this way, it may be wise to disable 'Raw
video' again in case there are undesirable results. I've never tested it
much with raw video enabled. You can download the latest version of
ffdshow there: http://athos.leffe.dnsalias.com/
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 11:23:20 PM

Wow cool thanks, you seem to know alot about this. Could you possibly email
me? m3g4_uk [at] ntlworld.com

thanks!
"erratic" <erratic@reply-to.address> wrote in message
news:p s7vc.141330$C_.6943861@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:55:33 +0100, "M3G4" <m3g4_uk@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >Thanks! Any idea how to change this for MPEG videos, too?
>
> Well, ffdshow will open MPEG videos if you enable 'Raw video' in its
> Codecs settings: change disabled to all supported. However, it won't
> always read the aspect ratio correctly so you may have to tweak the
> Resize & aspect settings. If necessary, try the 'Set aspect ratio
> manually' option: 1.33:1 for 4:3 video and 1.78:1 for 16:9 video. After
> watching a video with ffdshow this way, it may be wise to disable 'Raw
> video' again in case there are undesirable results. I've never tested it
> much with raw video enabled. You can download the latest version of
> ffdshow there: http://athos.leffe.dnsalias.com/
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 1:52:51 AM

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 19:23:20 +0100, "M3G4" <m3g4_uk@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Wow cool thanks, you seem to know alot about this. Could you possibly email
>me? m3g4_uk [at] ntlworld.com

My Reply-To address works if you remove _nospam_.
erratic.1 [at] telenet.be
!