Video Capture

I am having trouble getting either the TV application or Pinnacle to capture
video from an S video source. I am getting lots of dropped frames and then
either Pinnacle locks up or if using ATI TV i get BSOD. I am using an Athlon
+1800 with 256 MB 266 Mhz DDRAM on a gigabyte board don't know hich one got
it second hand, with Win XP Home new install. Tried 640x480 capure when
720x480 failed but still no-go.

Eric
2 answers Last reply
More about video capture

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 00:15:20 GMT, "Eric" <ekegley@nospam.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >I am having trouble getting either the TV application or Pinnacle to capture
    >video from an S video source. I am getting lots of dropped frames and then
    >either Pinnacle locks up or if using ATI TV i get BSOD. I am using an Athlon
    >+1800 with 256 MB 266 Mhz DDRAM on a gigabyte board don't know hich one got
    >it second hand, with Win XP Home new install. Tried 640x480 capure when
    >720x480 failed but still no-go.
    >
    >Eric

    Think you've probably put your finger on your problem yourself, Eric:
    "on a gigabyte board don't know hich one." Find out which one and
    make sure you have the proper chipset drivers installed.

    My opinion, some may differ: your CPU is not powerful enough to produce
    full frame video from an analog source (640x480x30fps NTSC or
    720x576x25fps PAL) and compress it in real-time. If your hard drive can
    take it, you can try to capture uncompressed video, then recompress it
    afterwards from the file on disc. If the file size is too large, you can
    try to use some lossless codec that is not too taxing to the processor,
    such as Huffyuv. Again, once the file is on the drive, you can
    recompress it using another space-saving codec, such as DivX.

    Another solution is getting a device that performs hardware compression,
    so your CPU doesn't get overloaded - such as Adaptec VideOh.

    Alternatively, you could settle for a quarter frame size (320x240x30fps)
    which your processor should be able to compress in real-time just fine
    (in DivX, for example).

    Eric wrote:

    > I am having trouble getting either the TV application or Pinnacle to capture
    > video from an S video source. I am getting lots of dropped frames and then
    > either Pinnacle locks up or if using ATI TV i get BSOD. I am using an Athlon
    > +1800 with 256 MB 266 Mhz DDRAM on a gigabyte board don't know hich one got
    > it second hand, with Win XP Home new install. Tried 640x480 capure when
    > 720x480 failed but still no-go.
    >
    > Eric

Radeon Video Capture Graphics