Security Lockout

I have a friend of mine that installed XP pro on my machine and thought it
would be funny to lock me out and give me restricted access. I remember when
using NT that there was a way to unlock the machine and give myself access to
even be able to install something to the hard drive. Is there still a way to
do this in windows through regedit and if so can someone help? Especially if
they remember the steps or have a link they can provide where they would be
listed?

Bill Moore wrote:
> I have a friend of mine that installed XP pro on my machine and thought it
> would be funny to lock me out and give me restricted access. I remember when
> using NT that there was a way to unlock the machine and give myself access to
> even be able to install something to the hard drive. Is there still a way to
> do this in windows through regedit and if so can someone help? Especially if
> they remember the steps or have a link they can provide where they would be
> listed?

Simply log in using the built-in Administrator account (which
cannot be deleted) and modify the desired account. By design, the only
way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to reboot
into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at the
Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bill Moore wrote:

> I have a friend of mine that installed XP pro on my machine and thought it
> would be funny to lock me out and give me restricted access. I remember when
> using NT that there was a way to unlock the machine and give myself access to
> even be able to install something to the hard drive. Is there still a way to
> do this in windows through regedit and if so can someone help? Especially if
> they remember the steps or have a link they can provide where they would be
> listed?
Hi

If you haven't tried that already, you could try to log on with the
original Administrator user and see if a blank password lets you in:

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your
Password Expires
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;321305

If that doesn't work out, you might try to reset the local
Administrator password with one of the methods mentioned here:

http://securityadmin.info/noframes/faqget.asp#password

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: