Wireless Network adapter disabled...

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Also, my wireless network signal (Broadcom Wireless Configuration Utility)
says the radio on my network adapter is disabled...and that I should enable
it..So I hit enable, but that doesn't work and it says that the radio on my
802.11 network adapter is still disabled. and to use the hardware radio
control switch to enable it...?

I recently came across the same problem as you and have being searching for a setting but cannot find it. I couldn't get any info from the Microsoft online help as well.

If anyone know how to turn enable the 'hardware control switch' according to the message please advise.

Thanks in advance.

----- Dan wrote: -----

Also, my wireless network signal (Broadcom Wireless Configuration Utility)
says the radio on my network adapter is disabled...and that I should enable
it..So I hit enable, but that doesn't work and it says that the radio on my
802.11 network adapter is still disabled. and to use the hardware radio
control switch to enable it...?

Hi Dan,

I found out where you can switch the radio control. Depending what laptop model you have there should be a switch either on the left or right hand side of your laptop with the wriggly sign. Switch this to On and this should solve your problem.

----- Dan wrote: -----

Also, my wireless network signal (Broadcom Wireless Configuration Utility)
says the radio on my network adapter is disabled...and that I should enable
it..So I hit enable, but that doesn't work and it says that the radio on my
802.11 network adapter is still disabled. and to use the hardware radio
control switch to enable it...?

aimee0101

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I have the same problem but on my desk top. I have had them uninstall and reinstall and it is still showing disabled. Any Help on this? :(

MikeTeck

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
OK

I had the same problem and even after reinstalling , video card drivers and wireless drivers
the utility still showed Disabled by Hardware.
So i read some dell documents and it wais to press
Fn + F2

My computer is not dell, but I said what the heck I will try and
it didnt work, but
Fn + F11 - did. SO PROBLEM SOLVED.

SOme keyboards are marked as to which button controlls your wireless card
but mine doesnt so my sugestion try all of them.
GOOD LUCK!!!!

robert rankin

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I apologize for intruding upon this thread but cannot seem to start my own?!

I have a wireless network at home with 1 PC 1 Laptop and my xbox 360 with xbox live. Until a couple days ago everything worked fine. I attempted to do port triggering on my linksys router for better online gaming and have seem to ruined things. I've since reset my router and my xbox and PC connect the internet fine. My laptop however doesn't. It access the router but not the internet. I've researched the problem and was told to flush my dns. Which is a temp fix.

My ip address when not working is 192.168.1.1 so i open command prompt and type
ipconfig/refresh
ipconfig/flushdns
ipconfig/renew

which gets me access to the internet with a new ip of 192.168.1.254 however the lease on the address only last exactly an hour and resets after that hour to 192.168.1.1

any ideas? and again i apologize for intruding
thanks

aimee0101

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I had the drivers of my TP-LINK (wireless adapter) re installed. they had it working at the place that fixed it but when i got it home it was not working. I had to change the Network Key. Then it worked fine. It was our desktop that wasn't working.

If your IP address is being given as 192.168.1.1, that's your problem as that's almost certainly the IP address given to the LAN interface on your router & wireless network. Normally the DHCP server that's built into the router will only give addresses from .2 (or sometimes even .10) upwards, so it sounds like perhaps that's got changed accidentally while you were making the port changes. Try and change your router DHCP so that its pool only starts from .10 and not .1 (you've probably just deleted a zero by accident to create this problem, changing the DHCP pool start address from .10 to .1). If you really don't know how to change that, the quickest way to resolve your problem is to manually configure your IP address on your laptop to have a static IP address: since it sounds like you have an address that works, set it to 192.168.1.254, netmask of 255.255.255.0, a router address of 192.168.1.1 and DNS of 192.168.1.1

However, I'd *really* recommend you fix the DHCP issue in your router, otherwise when you connect a new machine (a new laptop for example) to your network, that conflicting address is likely to be issued again and you'll have the same problem.

Hope that helps.