Absolute Full Admin Priv's In XP Pro

Hello,

Im getting a new computer today with Windows XP Professional eddition. Ive
been running Windows systems since 3.1, and most of my expierence is with
Windows 98se which I know that system in and out and like the back of my
hand. I have used XP Home eddition and know XP fairly well, just not that
indepth cause I havent had my own computer to explore around the options.
Now, The system thats coming is going to have Windows XP Pro already
installed on it with only the hardware drivers of the computer. They said
they do a 24 hour burn in test so the OS is already installed. They said I
could have it removed and blank if I wanted, but I decided to get it
installed so when the system arrives I can check and make sure all the
hardware etc I order is all correct. I know, I know, I really would of liked
to Install and configure XP myself just so I have expierence with it but im
going to miss out on that part unless I format the computer in the future.
Now, my question is, by which means can I go into options and make sure that
the User account on the machine that im going to use has all administrative
and all options enabled. I ask this cause ive had problems in the past with
programs that cant install because it says I dont have full admin privleges
when im on the admin account.

Also, my second question is I hurd you cant change any hardware for some odd
days after XP is installed which could be a problem since I plan on
upgradeing the sound and video card in the near future, wuts the deal with
this? Can somone explain how long this takes or what I have to do to install
new components...

Thanks,
Brandon
7 answers Last reply
More about absolute full admin priv

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Brandon wrote:
    > Hello,
    >

    > Now, my question is, by which means can I go into options and make sure that
    > the User account on the machine that im going to use has all administrative
    > and all options enabled.

    Simply log in using the built-in Administrator account (which
    cannot be deleted) and modify the desired account(s). By design, the
    only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
    reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
    the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.

    > Also, my second question is I hurd you cant change any hardware for some odd
    > days after XP is installed which could be a problem since I plan on
    > upgradeing the sound and video card in the near future, wuts the deal with
    > this?

    The "deal" is that it's absolute nonsense.

    Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

    Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

    Windows Product Activation (WPA)
    http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    I assume the place building my computer will probably activate it for me? And
    it is true I can change hardware for what 30 days? And ill only have do do
    this once? Even if I format and re-install XP?

    Thanks,
    Brandon

    Hi Brandon,
    Activation a/k/a WPA is usually done for you by any system builder worth
    their salt. You can add/change hardware including memory, mobo etc. a
    specific number of times in a time period without triggering WPA. If, and I
    repeat, if you do trigger a WPA item, don't panic. Most are just a click or
    tow away on the internet and you are all set. If it does meet the criteria
    for a phone call, it's maybe 3-4 minutes of your toll free time, and it's
    all painless. I've tweaked my systems enough that I put it on speed dial.
    WPA is not a big horrific deal. Relax and enjoy our new system!

    Ron Chamberlin
    MS-MVP

    "Brandon Kramer" <BrandonKramer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I assume the place building my computer will probably activate it for me?
    >And
    > it is true I can change hardware for what 30 days? And ill only have do do
    > this once? Even if I format and re-install XP?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brandon

    Ok,

    I did some reading about it online a little bit so I think I know what its
    all about now. Now I just need to find the SP2 incompatibility list or w.e,
    cause I do plan on getting sp2 and I need to know the issues with it.

    Thanks,
    Brandon

    Brandon Kramer wrote:

    > Ok,
    >
    > I did some reading about it online a little bit so I think I know what
    > its all about now. Now I just need to find the SP2 incompatibility
    > list or w.e, cause I do plan on getting sp2 and I need to know the
    > issues with it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brandon

    The system builder should have installed XP with SP2 for you.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Brandon Kramer wrote:
    > I assume the place building my computer will probably activate it for me? And
    > it is true I can change hardware for what 30 days? And ill only have do do
    > this once? Even if I format and re-install XP?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brandon

    Your "assumptions" are completely wrong.

    Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

    Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

    Windows Product Activation (WPA)
    http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

    --