Help....windows firewall

I am unalbe to turn on my windows firewall. When I go to the control panel
and attempt to turn the firewall on, I get the following message: "Windows
firewall settings cannot be displayed becuase the associated service is not
runing Do you want to start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing
(ICS) service?" When I click yes I get the following message: Windows can
not start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service.
Any ideas?
12 answers Last reply
More about help windows firewall

    "=?Utf-8?B?cGF0dGk=?=" <patti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > I am unalbe to turn on my windows firewall. When I go to the control
    > panel and attempt to turn the firewall on, I get the following
    > message: "Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed becuase the
    > associated service is not runing Do you want to start the windows
    > firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service?" When I click yes
    > I get the following message: Windows can not start the windows
    > firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service. Any ideas?

    Go to your Control Panel, from there Administrative Tools. Open the
    "Services" control. Go to the Windows Firewall service (ICF/ICS) and double
    click. There you will see a dependencies tab. Check the firewall's
    dependencies, make sure those services which the firewall needs are not
    disabled.

    I proceeded as you directed and found that both the Network Connenection adn
    Windows Management Instrumentation were listed as dependencies. I then tried
    to start the services but received the message"could not start the Windows
    Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)service on local computer. Error
    10047:an address incompatible with the requested protocol was used."
    Any suggestions?

    "natex" wrote:

    > "=?Utf-8?B?cGF0dGk=?=" <patti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >
    > > I am unalbe to turn on my windows firewall. When I go to the control
    > > panel and attempt to turn the firewall on, I get the following
    > > message: "Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed becuase the
    > > associated service is not runing Do you want to start the windows
    > > firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service?" When I click yes
    > > I get the following message: Windows can not start the windows
    > > firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service. Any ideas?
    >

    > Go to your Control Panel, from there Administrative Tools. Open the
    > "Services" control. Go to the Windows Firewall service (ICF/ICS) and double
    > click. There you will see a dependencies tab. Check the firewall's
    > dependencies, make sure those services which the firewall needs are not
    > disabled.

    Hi .....curiously I am having the same ...exactly to the T...as patti..allI
    can add by way of diagnosis is that mine appears to have started this morning
    after I downloaded the MS antispyware beta version . It appears that has
    altered my firewall seetings in some form and manner .

    saigalt wrote:
    > Hi .....curiously I am having the same ...exactly to the T...as
    > patti..allI can add by way of diagnosis is that mine appears to have
    > started this morning after I downloaded the MS antispyware beta
    > version . It appears that has altered my firewall seetings in some
    > form and manner .

    And what happens when you UNINSTALL the Beta Software?

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Welll.... Iam a bit nervous about doing that lest it does some further "
    alterations" on the way out ( not comfy uninstalling and installing stuff )
    and also I have removed the other spyware that i had on. I would have thought
    that the Beta would be compatible with the MS firewallon SP2...

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > saigalt wrote:
    > > Hi .....curiously I am having the same ...exactly to the T...as
    > > patti..allI can add by way of diagnosis is that mine appears to have
    > > started this morning after I downloaded the MS antispyware beta
    > > version . It appears that has altered my firewall seetings in some
    > > form and manner .
    >

    > And what happens when you UNINSTALL the Beta Software?
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    Guys
    this is what someone posted to my query ....am going to go to the
    recommended site and check it out .

    What happens when you uninstall the beta software? You should report any
    problems, ask for help, etc. in the special newsgroups set up for
    anything related to the beta software:

    From MVP Robear:

    "At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows
    AntiSpyware is being provided through the following Microsoft
    newsgroups:

    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
    These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP.

    To access these newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following
    location:

    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    saigalt wrote:
    > Welll.... Iam a bit nervous about doing that lest it does some
    > further " alterations" on the way out ( not comfy uninstalling and
    > installing stuff ) and also I have removed the other spyware that i
    > had on. I would have thought that the Beta would be compatible with
    > the MS firewallon SP2...

    You would think that.. BUT.. It is "Beta" software. heh
    (Beta = Testing = I never install it on a PRODUCTION machine. Only a TEST
    machine.)

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Ok people....I UNINSTALLED the beta AS and guess what....the firewall problem
    continues.
    So now I am really at my wits end

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > saigalt wrote:
    > > Hi .....curiously I am having the same ...exactly to the T...as
    > > patti..allI can add by way of diagnosis is that mine appears to have
    > > started this morning after I downloaded the MS antispyware beta
    > > version . It appears that has altered my firewall seetings in some
    > > form and manner .
    >
    > Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > > And what happens when you UNINSTALL the Beta Software?
    >
    > saigalt wrote:
    > > Welll.... Iam a bit nervous about doing that lest it does some
    > > further " alterations" on the way out ( not comfy uninstalling and
    > > installing stuff ) and also I have removed the other spyware that i
    > > had on. I would have thought that the Beta would be compatible with
    > > the MS firewallon SP2...
    >
    > You would think that.. BUT.. It is "Beta" software. heh
    > (Beta = Testing = I never install it on a PRODUCTION machine. Only a TEST
    > machine.)
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    Howdie,

    Instead of unistalling it, I have done a system restore.
    This did get my original firewall settings back. Reading through the
    previous responses, I have not seen a solution yet.
    Hope someone smart can post a "fix" for this. The program works well on my
    other computer with XP home edition. Unfortunately not with my laptop which
    has the XP professional edition on it.

    Thanks
    "saigalt" wrote:

    > Ok people....I UNINSTALLED the beta AS and guess what....the firewall problem
    > continues.
    > So now I am really at my wits end
    >
    > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
    >
    > > saigalt wrote:
    > > > Hi .....curiously I am having the same ...exactly to the T...as
    > > > patti..allI can add by way of diagnosis is that mine appears to have
    > > > started this morning after I downloaded the MS antispyware beta
    > > > version . It appears that has altered my firewall seetings in some
    > > > form and manner .
    > >
    > > Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > > > And what happens when you UNINSTALL the Beta Software?
    > >
    > > saigalt wrote:
    > > > Welll.... Iam a bit nervous about doing that lest it does some
    > > > further " alterations" on the way out ( not comfy uninstalling and
    > > > installing stuff ) and also I have removed the other spyware that i
    > > > had on. I would have thought that the Beta would be compatible with
    > > > the MS firewallon SP2...
    > >
    > > You would think that.. BUT.. It is "Beta" software. heh
    > > (Beta = Testing = I never install it on a PRODUCTION machine. Only a TEST
    > > machine.)
    > >
    > > --
    > > <- Shenan ->
    > > --
    > > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    > > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    > > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    > > getting into before you jump in with both feet.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    ..try this:

    I found it in a newsgroup under the MS Antispyware home page.

    "flight_rn" wrote:

    > Howdie,
    >
    > Instead of unistalling it, I have done a system restore.
    > This did get my original firewall settings back. Reading through the
    > previous responses, I have not seen a solution yet.
    > Hope someone smart can post a "fix" for this. The program works well on my
    > other computer with XP home edition. Unfortunately not with my laptop which
    > has the XP professional edition on it.
    >

    > Thanks
    > "saigalt" wrote:
    >
    > > Ok people....I UNINSTALLED the beta AS and guess what....the firewall problem
    > > continues.
    > > So now I am really at my wits end

    > > > You would think that.. BUT.. It is "Beta" software. heh
    > > > (Beta = Testing = I never install it on a PRODUCTION machine. Only a TEST
    > > > machine.)
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > <- Shenan ->
    > > > --
    > > > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    > > > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    > > > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    > > > getting into before you jump in with both feet.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    As soon as I went to this website and downloaded the fix...my computer
    rebooted and when it came back on the firewall was back on too. The only
    strange thing was that when my computer rebooted I did get an error message
    saying something to the effect of "Error running C:program/.....". I don't
    know what that was about but everything seems to be ok and my firewall is
    back on. My problems were identical to those mentioned earlier in this
    thread.

    "tdubdub" wrote:

    > .try this:
    >
    > http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    >
    > I found it in a newsgroup under the MS Antispyware home page.
    >
    > "flight_rn" wrote:
    >
    > > Howdie,
    > >
    > > Instead of unistalling it, I have done a system restore.
    > > This did get my original firewall settings back. Reading through the
    > > previous responses, I have not seen a solution yet.
    > > Hope someone smart can post a "fix" for this. The program works well on my
    > > other computer with XP home edition. Unfortunately not with my laptop which
    > > has the XP professional edition on it.
    > >

    > > Thanks
    > > "saigalt" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Ok people....I UNINSTALLED the beta AS and guess what....the firewall problem
    > > > continues.
    > > > So now I am really at my wits end

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    This hint from the spyware newsgroup did the trick in my case.
    Simple.
    All systems up and running.

    From: microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

    Subject: Re: Firewall
    From: "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> Sent:
    1/8/2005 10:03:59 PM

    Please try this:

    At a command prompt type:

    netsh winsock reset

    and hit enter
    restart your computer.

Control Panel Firewalls Security Internet Connection Microsoft Windows XP