Trying again: [Asus 9800XT] video corruption of some kind

My setup:
OS = WinXP pro
Vid = asus Radeon 9800XT pro
Mobo = asus KV8 Deluxe (for athlon4)
Machine Hardware = Athlon64 3400+

Group,

Some times on bootup, and it seems to be happening more often, I get
my initial login screen but with some kind of strange overlay or
corruption.

The overlay consists of columns of bars about 1 1/4 inches long and
columns that strech full length of monitor. About 8-10 columns wide.
Columns have about an inch of space between them. Something like:

====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
[...]

Its transparent but opaque enough that it makes doing any thing
impossible. Usually a full stop/restart sequence is required to make
it disappear. A reboot usually doesn't do it.

And sometimes even a full stop/restart and it still shows up for
several cycles.

Mobo is the Asus KV8 mobo for athlon64.

Any one have a clue what might be the cause of this?
3 answers Last reply
More about trying again asus 9800xt video corruption kind

    I aqlso have the same card and used to get that same problem. I would
    reboot and it was gone. I haven't had it for a while. Also i don't use the
    Asus software. I use the ATI drivers.

    "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote in message

    > My setup:
    > OS = WinXP pro
    > Vid = asus Radeon 9800XT pro
    > Mobo = asus KV8 Deluxe (for athlon4)
    > Machine Hardware = Athlon64 3400+
    >
    > Group,
    >
    > Some times on bootup, and it seems to be happening more often, I get
    > my initial login screen but with some kind of strange overlay or
    > corruption.
    >
    > The overlay consists of columns of bars about 1 1/4 inches long and
    > columns that strech full length of monitor. About 8-10 columns wide.
    > Columns have about an inch of space between them. Something like:
    >
    > ====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
    > ====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
    > ====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
    > [...]
    >
    > Its transparent but opaque enough that it makes doing any thing
    > impossible. Usually a full stop/restart sequence is required to make
    > it disappear. A reboot usually doesn't do it.
    >
    > And sometimes even a full stop/restart and it still shows up for
    > several cycles.
    >
    > Mobo is the Asus KV8 mobo for athlon64.
    >
    > Any one have a clue what might be the cause of this?

    Some rumors say that Athlon 64 motherboards are having some conflicts with
    Radeon cards.

    --
    DaveW

    "Reggie Hillier" <reggiehillier@hfx.eastlink.ca> writes:

    > I aqlso have the same card and used to get that same problem. I would
    > reboot and it was gone. I haven't had it for a while. Also i don't use the
    > Asus software. I use the ATI drivers.

    [...]

    Did you always use the ATI drivers or did the trouble go away when
    you switched from Asus to ati drivers?

Radeon Asus Video Graphics