Making a folder private

I would like to make a particular folder private i.e. other users on my com
wont be able to have access to it. I understand that this can be done by
right-clicking on the folder and clicking on the option "Sharing and
Security" and under the "Sharing" tab check the option "Make this folder
private". However I cant click on the box. This folder is under "My
Documents", which technically makes it possible to make private. What's wrong?

HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399&Product=winxp

You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286&Product=winxp

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"col2e2n" wrote:

| I would like to make a particular folder private i.e. other users on my com
| wont be able to have access to it. I understand that this can be done by
| right-clicking on the folder and clicking on the option "Sharing and
| Security" and under the "Sharing" tab check the option "Make this folder
| private". However I cant click on the box. This folder is under "My
| Documents", which technically makes it possible to make private. What's wrong?

okie.. thanks.. i figured my problem is cos my file system is FAT32. i
followed the steps to convert it to NTFS. however this command came up:
"Enter current volume label for drive C: " what do i enter? oso, by changing
my file system, will my computer be affected in any way? thanks =)

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399&Product=winxp
>
> You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286&Product=winxp
>
> How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "col2e2n" wrote:
>
> | I would like to make a particular folder private i.e. other users on my com
> | wont be able to have access to it. I understand that this can be done by
> | right-clicking on the folder and clicking on the option "Sharing and
> | Security" and under the "Sharing" tab check the option "Make this folder
> | private". However I cant click on the box. This folder is under "My
> | Documents", which technically makes it possible to make private. What's wrong?

Open MY COMPUTER. The Volume Label is the
name next to C: For example, if it shows "Local
DISK (C:), the Volume Name is Local Disk. If
there is no name, don't enter one and just hit enter.

Read the following before proceeding:

Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm

[Courtesy of Alex Nichol, MS-MVP]