Locked Accounts

Hi There,
Tonight I fired up my Windows box and got the message that it was missing
the file "netldr" and to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to load Windows, but it would not
go any further. Fine, I thought, I'll just do a reload of windows to replace
the file. One problem, now that I have a working Windows system, it won't
let me log into the old accounts! All of my old files, programs, pictures,
music, etc. are still on the hard drive (I didn't reformat)but I can't access
any of them because it says I am not the proper user. I do have
Administrator access, but still cannot access my old files. Any help would
be very appreciated. BTW, I have also tried to use the files and settings
transfer wizard, but it hasn't helped.

Frustrated Bob wrote:
> Tonight I fired up my Windows box and got the message that it was
> missing the file "netldr" and to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to load Windows,
> but it would not go any further. Fine, I thought, I'll just do a
> reload of windows to replace the file. One problem, now that I have
> a working Windows system, it won't let me log into the old accounts!
> All of my old files, programs, pictures, music, etc. are still on the
> hard drive (I didn't reformat)but I can't access any of them because
> it says I am not the proper user. I do have Administrator access,
> but still cannot access my old files. Any help would be very
> appreciated. BTW, I have also tried to use the files and settings
> transfer wizard, but it hasn't helped.

Simple Answer - you reinstalled the OS, you need to reinstall the OS as
well. Next time, do a REPAIR installation instead of a REINSTALLATION.

Get your personal files out though:

As long as EFS is not involved:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

--
<- Shenan ->

Correction inline...

Shenan wrote:
> Simple Answer - you reinstalled the OS, you need to reinstall the OS
> as well. Next time, do a REPAIR installation instead of a
> REINSTALLATION.

Well, I am on Vicodin.. So I will claim it was the drugs!
"Simple Answer - you reinstalled the OS, you need to reinstall the
APPLICATIONS as well."

OOps!

> Get your personal files out though:
>
> As long as EFS is not involved:
>
> How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
>
> How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
> on a shared folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

--
<- Shenan ->