Locked Accounts

Hi There,
Tonight I fired up my Windows box and got the message that it was missing
the file "netldr" and to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to load Windows, but it would not
go any further. Fine, I thought, I'll just do a reload of windows to replace
the file. One problem, now that I have a working Windows system, it won't
let me log into the old accounts! All of my old files, programs, pictures,
music, etc. are still on the hard drive (I didn't reformat)but I can't access
any of them because it says I am not the proper user. I do have
Administrator access, but still cannot access my old files. Any help would
be very appreciated. BTW, I have also tried to use the files and settings
transfer wizard, but it hasn't helped.
2 answers Last reply
More about locked accounts

    Frustrated Bob wrote:
    > Tonight I fired up my Windows box and got the message that it was
    > missing the file "netldr" and to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to load Windows,
    > but it would not go any further. Fine, I thought, I'll just do a
    > reload of windows to replace the file. One problem, now that I have
    > a working Windows system, it won't let me log into the old accounts!
    > All of my old files, programs, pictures, music, etc. are still on the
    > hard drive (I didn't reformat)but I can't access any of them because
    > it says I am not the proper user. I do have Administrator access,
    > but still cannot access my old files. Any help would be very
    > appreciated. BTW, I have also tried to use the files and settings
    > transfer wizard, but it hasn't helped.

    Simple Answer - you reinstalled the OS, you need to reinstall the OS as
    well. Next time, do a REPAIR installation instead of a REINSTALLATION.

    Get your personal files out though:

    As long as EFS is not involved:

    How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
    on a shared folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Correction inline...

    Shenan wrote:
    > Simple Answer - you reinstalled the OS, you need to reinstall the OS
    > as well. Next time, do a REPAIR installation instead of a
    > REINSTALLATION.

    Well, I am on Vicodin.. So I will claim it was the drugs!
    "Simple Answer - you reinstalled the OS, you need to reinstall the
    APPLICATIONS as well."

    OOps!

    > Get your personal files out though:
    >
    > As long as EFS is not involved:
    >
    > How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    >
    > How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
    > on a shared folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

    --
    <- Shenan ->