Strange colour cast 2nd monitor

shawk

Hiya

Have been using the secondary display of my 9600Pro to run a projector -
like to watch DVD's on the big screen while I'm supposed to be working :)
No probs whatsoever - works great.

Just plugged another 17" monitor into the secondary display to help me
prepare a report (Excel on one, Word on another etc) and I have a horrible
green cast on the 2nd display. I've checked the correct display drivers are
loaded, checked the settings in the control panel for both, checked the OSD
of the monitor for colour setup and no matter what I do the screen is green.
Both are CRT monitors (secondary with a DVI adaptor - same one I used for
projector that worked well). Second monitor worked fine last time it was
used (a week ago) - but this is the first time it s been used on this PC.
Using the latest Omega's. Anyone had anything similar? Any ideas?

Cheers, Shaun.

Shawk wrote:
> Hiya
>
> Have been using the secondary display of my 9600Pro to run a projector -
> like to watch DVD's on the big screen while I'm supposed to be working :)
> No probs whatsoever - works great.
>
> Just plugged another 17" monitor into the secondary display to help me
> prepare a report (Excel on one, Word on another etc) and I have a horrible
> green cast on the 2nd display. I've checked the correct display drivers
> are loaded, checked the settings in the control panel for both, checked
> the OSD of the monitor for colour setup and no matter what I do the
> screen is green. Both are CRT monitors (secondary with a DVI adaptor -
> same one I used for projector that worked well). Second monitor worked
> fine last time it was used (a week ago) - but this is the first time it s
> been used on this PC. Using the latest Omega's. Anyone had anything
> similar? Any ideas?

For a start, swap the monitors and let us know if it's the monitor or the
card output at fault.

Hmm, doesn't seem possible to adjust the monitor colour profiles
individually from the ATI drivers... an oversight it would seem.

Anyway, you might be able to find a tool to create colour profiles (.icc)
and install it on the dodgy monitor (or card output) to balance the colour.

Ben

shawk

"Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Shawk wrote:
> > Hiya
> >
> > Have been using the secondary display of my 9600Pro to run a projector -
> > like to watch DVD's on the big screen while I'm supposed to be working
:)
> > No probs whatsoever - works great.
> >
> > Just plugged another 17" monitor into the secondary display to help me
> > prepare a report (Excel on one, Word on another etc) and I have a
horrible
> > green cast on the 2nd display. I've checked the correct display drivers
> > are loaded, checked the settings in the control panel for both, checked
> > the OSD of the monitor for colour setup and no matter what I do the
> > screen is green. Both are CRT monitors (secondary with a DVI adaptor -
> > same one I used for projector that worked well). Second monitor worked
> > fine last time it was used (a week ago) - but this is the first time it
> > been used on this PC. Using the latest Omega's. Anyone had anything
> > similar? Any ideas?
>
> For a start, swap the monitors and let us know if it's the monitor or the
> card output at fault.
>
> Hmm, doesn't seem possible to adjust the monitor colour profiles
> individually from the ATI drivers... an oversight it would seem.
>
> Anyway, you might be able to find a tool to create colour profiles (.icc)
> and install it on the dodgy monitor (or card output) to balance the
colour.

> Ben

Lol, swapped the monitors as you suggested and both monitors worked fine!?
Thought 'that's strange' swapped them back and they're both still working
fine - no cast.. Can only think either something loaded 'properly' at
reboot or something wasnt seated first time I plugged it in. Can a loose
lead cause something like this? Anyway - many thanks Ben - didnt work the
way we expected but it worked....

Shawk wrote:
> Lol, swapped the monitors as you suggested and both monitors worked fine!?
> Thought 'that's strange' swapped them back and they're both still working
> fine - no cast..

Good.

> Can only think either something loaded 'properly' at reboot

Possible, but unlikely.

> or something wasnt seated first time I plugged it in. Can a loose
> lead cause something like this?

Yep. You may have lost red or something if it wasn't properly connected.
I've seen it happen a lot as I tend not to screw any of my connectors in,
but have a habit of shifting the computer about and poking at the back.

> Anyway - many thanks Ben - didnt work the
> way we expected but it worked....

Cool.

Ben