Windows Security Center doesn't track NAV status

Running NAV 2002 on XP system. Security Center sees Norton Antivirus but
doesn't know that's it's up to date or what the status is and periodically
alerts the user with a message in the systray.

I've gone ahead and disabled the Antivirus protection from the Security
Center letting it know my Antivirus program takes care of its own virus
protection so that the user doesn't keep seeing this alert from time to time.

Anyone know why this happens or how to fix it properly?

Not a big deal, just not sure why this happens.

Thanks,
Randi

See Symantec FAQ: Why does the Windows Security Center say that the status of my Norton security product is "unknown." ? at http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html

FAQ about Windows Security Center:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883792

Antivirus Partners Currently Supporting Windows Security Center:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/antivirus/fulllist.mspx

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Randibou" <Randibou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8196B02E-9365-4D0E-BAED-4DBD39BE78E3@microsoft.com...
Running NAV 2002 on XP system. Security Center sees Norton Antivirus but
doesn't know that's it's up to date or what the status is and periodically
alerts the user with a message in the systray.

I've gone ahead and disabled the Antivirus protection from the Security
Center letting it know my Antivirus program takes care of its own virus
protection so that the user doesn't keep seeing this alert from time to time.

Anyone know why this happens or how to fix it properly?

Not a big deal, just not sure why this happens.

Thanks,
Randi

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html
"Norton Firewall/Norton Internet Security
Installing Service Pack 2 will not affect Norton Personal Firewall or Norton Internet
Security. The Windows Security Center, which is a component of Windows XP Service
Pack 2, will be aware that you have Norton Personal Firewall or Norton Internet
Security installed, but it will not be able to determine its working status due to
Symantec's tamper-protection technology.

Symantec has released an update which adds compatibility to the Windows Security
Center so that it may report the status of your Symantec security software. This
update is included in Norton Personal Firewall 2005 or Norton Internet Security 2005,
and is available by LiveUpdate for Norton Personal Firewall 2002/2003/2004 or Norton
Internet Security 2002/2003/2004. The update will install on Windows XP, but will not
take effect unless you have the Windows Security Center installed."