new card & it still won't work

i have the same problem now that i did with my old card.

i upgraded my old 4200ti (64mb) to a 6600gt (128mb).

i reformatted and installed only the drivers which came with the card. i
thought this would now resolve the problem i had previously, but it hasn't
made any difference.

i get to the main screen, choose new game and wait. the bloke comes onto
the screen and starts to talk. the screen then goes "invert", breaks up and
then just hangs.

any suggestions at to what i should do as i have been waiting over a month
to play this sodding game.

i've listed my details below, thanks

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP
System Manufacturer ECS
System Model K7S5A
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1460 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 02/04/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name DESKTOP\user
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 276.38 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Name NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
Driver Version 6.14.10.6693

"studmeister" <zen66328@REMOVEALLUPPERCASEzen.co.uk> wrote in message
>i have the same problem now that i did with my old card.
>
> i upgraded my old 4200ti (64mb) to a 6600gt (128mb).
>
> i reformatted and installed only the drivers which came with the card. i
> thought this would now resolve the problem i had previously, but it hasn't
> made any difference.

Are you saying you re-formatted your drive to change your video card?

> i get to the main screen, choose new game and wait. the bloke comes onto
> the screen and starts to talk. the screen then goes "invert", breaks up
> and then just hangs.
>
> any suggestions at to what i should do as i have been waiting over a month
> to play this sodding game.
>
> i've listed my details below, thanks
>
> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
> OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
> System Name DESKTOP
> System Manufacturer ECS
> System Model K7S5A
> System Type X86-based PC
> Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1460 Mhz
> BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 02/04/2001
> SMBIOS Version 2.3
> Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
> System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
> Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
> Locale United Kingdom
> Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
> (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
> User Name DESKTOP\user
> Time Zone GMT Standard Time
> Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
> Available Physical Memory 276.38 MB
> Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
> Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
> Page File Space 1.22 GB
> Page File C:\pagefile.sys
>
> Name NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
> Driver Version 6.14.10.6693

Which version of the K7S5A do you have? Do you have the most recent
motherboard drivers installed, including the SiS VGA drivers? These are
specific to your motherboard version and OS combination, and need to be
re-installed if you have formatted your drive (or hadn't ever installed
them). Also, make sure you have the latest DirectX installed (9.0c). Type
"dxdiag" in the Run box from the Start menu to check if there are any
DirectX problems and see what version you have.

ECS downloads are available here:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/Archive_Download.aspx?CategoryID=1&MenuID=45&LanID=0
or use this short link if that one is broken:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?K61232E1A

If this is an OEM board, contact the system builder for the correct drivers.
You may also want to consider a BIOS update. **Be forewarned: the wrong
BIOS update can hose your system and should only be done if you are
absolutely sure you have the proper file for your board, and completely
understand the procedure.**

The support FAQ is here:
http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/entry.php

"studmeister" <zen66328@REMOVEALLUPPERCASEzen.co.uk> wrote in message
>i have the same problem now that i did with my old card.
>
> i upgraded my old 4200ti (64mb) to a 6600gt (128mb).
>
> i reformatted and installed only the drivers which came with the card. i
> thought this would now resolve the problem i had previously, but it hasn't
> made any difference.
>
> i get to the main screen, choose new game and wait. the bloke comes onto
> the screen and starts to talk. the screen then goes "invert", breaks up
> and then just hangs.
>
> any suggestions at to what i should do as i have been waiting over a month
> to play this sodding game.
>
> i've listed my details below, thanks

Great GFX card with latest drivers (or nearly ....), what CPU are you using?
an athlon 1.8?

What sound card are you using (as it seems to hang up on the sound), try
latest drivers for them.. also motherboard drivers?

It's a great game - hope this helps....

Dave

---

Update your drivers for your sound card ! make sure you don;t have any dodgy
codecs in the OS and turn all your sound options down to minimal and
re-try...

let us know
Domestos

"studmeister" <zen66328@REMOVEALLUPPERCASEzen.co.uk> wrote in message

> Name NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
> Driver Version 6.14.10.6693

Try the latest drivers for all the hardware, mobo, graphics card, sound
card, and latest dx9 version.

Unlikely a graphics problem imo, as changing cards made no difference.

So I would guess mobo drivers are most likely culprits, then sound.

Check your temps and PSU readouts also.

What make is your power supply unit, and how many watts can it do?

Civilian_Target

In the times of Yore, approximately 3 moons after Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:23:41 -0000, there was a signal
from the heavens from where the angel "studmeister" <zen66328@REMOVEALLUPPERCASEzen.co.uk> emblazoned
these words across the heavens:

>i have the same problem now that i did with my old card.
>
>i upgraded my old 4200ti (64mb) to a 6600gt (128mb).
>
>i reformatted and installed only the drivers which came with the card. i
>thought this would now resolve the problem i had previously, but it hasn't
>made any difference.
>
>i get to the main screen, choose new game and wait. the bloke comes onto
>the screen and starts to talk. the screen then goes "invert", breaks up and
>then just hangs.
>
>any suggestions at to what i should do as i have been waiting over a month
>to play this sodding game.
>
>i've listed my details below, thanks
>
>OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
>OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
>System Name DESKTOP
>System Manufacturer ECS
>System Model K7S5A
>System Type X86-based PC
>Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1460 Mhz
>BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 02/04/2001
>SMBIOS Version 2.3
>Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
>System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
>Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
>Locale United Kingdom
>Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
>(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
>User Name DESKTOP\user
>Time Zone GMT Standard Time
>Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
>Available Physical Memory 276.38 MB
>Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
>Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
>Page File Space 1.22 GB
>Page File C:\pagefile.sys
>
>Name NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
>Driver Version 6.14.10.6693

---
"The great thing about pessimism is that you are either 'right as usual' or 'pleasently surprised'

I had a similar situ w/a sound card.