Legend 100CD CD Rom issues

I have an elderly Legend 100CD that has win3.11

It came with the Master multimedia CD and boot disks which is great. However
when I try and restore the hard drive from the cdrom drive it can't read the
CD. The bootdisk loads the drivers and I can browse to the drive in DOS,
however when I hit Y to confirm I want to restore windows or do a DIR
command it tells me it can't read from the CD-Rom drive. (I have checked the
cd in another machine and its fine. In fact the CD itself is in mint
condition not even a scratch on it.)

I did find a website that sold spare Packard Bell parts for the 100CD but
they wanted 152 dollars for the drive..

Anyway, unless there is any method to get the current one working how do I
install a new one? I switched it out with a Sony CDU571 and found some dos
drivers. I put the Atapi_cd.sys on the boot disk and edited the AutoExec and
Config.sys files to use the new driver but it tells me no drives are
connected when I boot up. I'm 99.9% sure this is a working cd-rom drive. I'm
wondering if the way its connected through the soundcard is making a
difference or perhaps that this drive is from a Compaq (could they have
altered it in some way to not work on other machines?)

Any help would be appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about legend 100cd issues
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Many of the original CD's 170210 per exxample
    had know problems
    There are 2 additional revisions for this CD
    -02 and -03 because of your stated problem
    There were no variations in the floppy
    The read problems were on the master cd
    Pristine condition would have no bearing

    Now if you used the Cd before and it
    is known to work and has failed this time
    and you are using the same CDROM
    I would suspect the buufer is bad on the CDROM

    Just being able to read a cd in dos and moving
    files are 2 different things
    Installation from the CD requires the files
    to move from the CD buffer to a ramdrive and
    on to the Harddrive

    You could try moving the files to the HD
    Type at the C prompt copy d:*.*
    If it does a good copy then I suspect the Master Cd

    If it does a poor copy
    The Cd drive is most likely bad

    You can make all the files in nwindows as
    this Master Cd has an image of dos622 and win311
    and all the other files

    You can then install off the floppies

    Dos 622 is a 4 cd set only 1st 3 are needed
    Win311 is 8 disks only first 8 needed

    You could also just install windows 98
    if you have abot 16 MB Ram
    Windows 95 will need about 8

    This machine has 4 onboard

    "Morkai Kurst" <morkai@wolfdream.net> wrote in message
    > I have an elderly Legend 100CD that has win3.11
    >
    > It came with the Master multimedia CD and boot disks which is great.
    However
    > when I try and restore the hard drive from the cdrom drive it can't read
    the
    > CD. The bootdisk loads the drivers and I can browse to the drive in DOS,
    > however when I hit Y to confirm I want to restore windows or do a DIR
    > command it tells me it can't read from the CD-Rom drive. (I have checked
    the
    > cd in another machine and its fine. In fact the CD itself is in mint
    > condition not even a scratch on it.)
    >
    > I did find a website that sold spare Packard Bell parts for the 100CD but
    > they wanted 152 dollars for the drive..
    >
    > Anyway, unless there is any method to get the current one working how do I
    > install a new one? I switched it out with a Sony CDU571 and found some dos
    > drivers. I put the Atapi_cd.sys on the boot disk and edited the AutoExec
    and
    > Config.sys files to use the new driver but it tells me no drives are
    > connected when I boot up. I'm 99.9% sure this is a working cd-rom drive.
    I'm
    > wondering if the way its connected through the soundcard is making a
    > difference or perhaps that this drive is from a Compaq (could they have
    > altered it in some way to not work on other machines?)
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    First of all, the CD-ROM drive connected thru the sound card may not be an
    IDE/ATAPI drive. Check the label on the connector on the sound card, and/or
    count the pins on the connector. If it's labeled "IDE", than that's what it is,
    but being an early IDE implementation, it may not work with a newer CD-ROM
    drive.

    From your description, it sounds very much like the sound card connector is
    either not IDE/ATAPI or too old to handle a newer drive.

    If the motherboard has a spare IDE/ATAPI channel or an available IDE connector
    on one of its cables, it is better to hook up an IDE/ATAPI drive there.

    Next, the motherboard is old enough that it won't boot from a CD-ROM. You need
    a boot disk for the operating system you want to restore. So visit
    www.bootdisk.com , download the bootdisk image you need, and make a bootable
    floppy diskette to start off the whole process.

    $152 is pretty outrageous, given street prices of new CD-ROM drives. But some
    companies will try to gouge people whom they think are ignorant. Not a good way
    to do business, nor a way to get repeat customers... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 15:49:00 GMT, "Morkai Kurst" <morkai@wolfdream.net> wrote:

    >I have an elderly Legend 100CD that has win3.11
    >
    >It came with the Master multimedia CD and boot disks which is great. However
    >when I try and restore the hard drive from the cdrom drive it can't read the
    >CD. The bootdisk loads the drivers and I can browse to the drive in DOS,
    >however when I hit Y to confirm I want to restore windows or do a DIR
    >command it tells me it can't read from the CD-Rom drive. (I have checked the
    >cd in another machine and its fine. In fact the CD itself is in mint
    >condition not even a scratch on it.)
    >
    >I did find a website that sold spare Packard Bell parts for the 100CD but
    >they wanted 152 dollars for the drive..
    >
    >Anyway, unless there is any method to get the current one working how do I
    >install a new one? I switched it out with a Sony CDU571 and found some dos
    >drivers. I put the Atapi_cd.sys on the boot disk and edited the AutoExec and
    >Config.sys files to use the new driver but it tells me no drives are
    >connected when I boot up. I'm 99.9% sure this is a working cd-rom drive. I'm
    >wondering if the way its connected through the soundcard is making a
    >difference or perhaps that this drive is from a Compaq (could they have
    >altered it in some way to not work on other machines?)
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    I never read past the first the first paragraph
    I am getting old
    or
    I need to maximize the window and use scroll

    By the way
    My wife resizes everything why I am at bwork

    He sure will not get it to work off the sound card
    The 2nd CDROM if it is an IDE one
    Did not check out a CDU271
    Sounds like an IDE Cdrom to me

    I would like to see his modifications on the auto and config

    What confuses me
    Is why he wants windows 311

    Back to Ebay

Packard Bell CD-Rom Computers