any chance to unlock all 16 pipes on x800 pro??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 10, 2004 5:58:29 PM

I'm considering buying an x800 pro and I'm just wondering if someone
will come up with a hack to unlock the extra four pipelines? ATI said
they did something at the hardware level to disable the other four
pipes - but even if they did, it might be possible to solder some
components or something to unlock the pipelines right?

I'm just worried they they did something during fabrication to disable
the extra four pipes - obviously trying to piece stuff together at .13
micron will be impossible for people like us.
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 8:07:06 PM

Your worry is justified. ATI has said thier disabled at HW lvl so a hack
wont work anymore. That said who knows but according to ATI thats the
situation. Most likely the pipes are disabled on the Chip itself so the
chances of a solder to unlock would be impossible

"zerang shah" <ninjak@gmx.de> wrote in message
> I'm considering buying an x800 pro and I'm just wondering if someone
> will come up with a hack to unlock the extra four pipelines? ATI said
> they did something at the hardware level to disable the other four
> pipes - but even if they did, it might be possible to solder some
> components or something to unlock the pipelines right?
>
> I'm just worried they they did something during fabrication to disable
> the extra four pipes - obviously trying to piece stuff together at .13
> micron will be impossible for people like us.
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 3:27:55 AM

I'm afraid you're out of luck. You CANNOT solder at the .13 micron level,
which would be required.

--
DaveW

"zerang shah" <ninjak@gmx.de> wrote in message
> I'm considering buying an x800 pro and I'm just wondering if someone
> will come up with a hack to unlock the extra four pipelines? ATI said
> they did something at the hardware level to disable the other four
> pipes - but even if they did, it might be possible to solder some
> components or something to unlock the pipelines right?
>
> I'm just worried they they did something during fabrication to disable
> the extra four pipes - obviously trying to piece stuff together at .13
> micron will be impossible for people like us.
Related resources
May 11, 2004 4:40:52 AM

Im sorry. I think I can remeber the the pro and the xt being both, 16
pipeslines?

Dan

> I'm afraid you're out of luck. You CANNOT solder at the .13 micron level,
> which would be required.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "zerang shah" <ninjak@gmx.de> wrote in message
> > I'm considering buying an x800 pro and I'm just wondering if someone
> > will come up with a hack to unlock the extra four pipelines? ATI said
> > they did something at the hardware level to disable the other four
> > pipes - but even if they did, it might be possible to solder some
> > components or something to unlock the pipelines right?
> >
> > I'm just worried they they did something during fabrication to disable
> > the extra four pipes - obviously trying to piece stuff together at .13
> > micron will be impossible for people like us.

Anonymous
May 11, 2004 4:40:53 AM

The x800 pro 12 pipes and the x800 XT is 16. nuff said. Want 16 pipelines
fork out $100 more or wait until the cards are almost obsolete and buy one
then.

"Dan" <dan@kissmyass.com> wrote in message
> Im sorry. I think I can remeber the the pro and the xt being both, 16
> pipeslines?
>
> Dan
>
> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
> > I'm afraid you're out of luck. You CANNOT solder at the .13 micron
level,
> > which would be required.
> >
> > --
> > DaveW
> >

> > "zerang shah" <ninjak@gmx.de> wrote in message
> > > I'm considering buying an x800 pro and I'm just wondering if someone
> > > will come up with a hack to unlock the extra four pipelines? ATI said
> > > they did something at the hardware level to disable the other four
> > > pipes - but even if they did, it might be possible to solder some
> > > components or something to unlock the pipelines right?
> > >
> > > I'm just worried they they did something during fabrication to disable
> > > the extra four pipes - obviously trying to piece stuff together at .13
> > > micron will be impossible for people like us.

May 11, 2004 4:40:54 AM

On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:39:31 -0400, "RipFlex" <dbossom1@cogeco.ca>
wrote:

>The x800 pro 12 pipes and the x800 XT is 16. nuff said. Want 16 pipelines
>fork out $100 more or wait until the cards are almost obsolete and buy one
>then.

By then you're going to want the 32 pipe version. ;(
May 11, 2004 5:50:54 AM

Id settle for a full pipe :)
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 10:21:50 AM

DaveW wrote:

> I'm afraid you're out of luck. You CANNOT solder at the .13 micron level,
> which would be required.

Of course you can--you just need the right tools.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Cutting is much easier than soldering though.

--
><{{ MudFish (Co30){('>
www.Co30.com
"Careful with that Axe Eugene."

news:c7q9vq01oai@news3.newsguy.com..> DaveW wrote:

> > I'm afraid you're out of luck. You CANNOT solder at the .13 micron
level,
> > which would be required.
>
> Of course you can--you just need the right tools.
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 4:56:34 PM

> Of course you can--you just need the right tools.

Yeah, you only need an electron microscope and really steady hands.

May 11, 2004 10:48:57 PM

Not to forget an ultra portable, laser beam that can cut .13 micron :)

"Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message

> > Of course you can--you just need the right tools.
>
> Yeah, you only need an electron microscope and really steady hands.

May 12, 2004 3:15:46 AM

Asestar wrote:

> Not to forget an ultra portable, laser beam that can cut .13 micron :)

Why use a laser when you have an electron beam already running that can both
cut and weld?

As for steadiness of the hands, that's what waldos and precision positioning
equipment are for.

> "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Of course you can--you just need the right tools.
>>
>> Yeah, you only need an electron microscope and really steady hands.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 2:10:25 PM

That electron beam is just for you to "see" what you are aiming at. :)  It
does not cut or weld anything, except perhaps uranium neuclei if aimed
correctly :)

And then run the hell out of the city.. asap !

> Asestar wrote:
>
> > Not to forget an ultra portable, laser beam that can cut .13 micron :)
>
> Why use a laser when you have an electron beam already running that can
both
> cut and weld?
>
> As for steadiness of the hands, that's what waldos and precision
positioning
> equipment are for.
>
> > "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message

> >> Yeah, you only need an electron microscope and really steady hands.

> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 2:10:26 PM

Asestar wrote:

> That electron beam is just for you to "see" what you are aiming at. :)  It
> does not cut or weld anything, except perhaps uranium neuclei if aimed
> correctly :)

Depends on what tool you're using. Electron beams are routinely used to
both cut and weld. And with a scanning tunnelling microscope you can even
put your joint together one atom at a time.

> And then run the hell out of the city.. asap !

Sorry, but to fission uranium takes neutrons. An electron beam unless it's
got a Hell of a lot of power behind it will not penetrate the electron
shells of a uranium atom and even if it did the result would not be
fission.

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Asestar wrote:
>>
>> > Not to forget an ultra portable, laser beam that can cut .13 micron :)
>>
>> Why use a laser when you have an electron beam already running that can
> both
>> cut and weld?
>>
>> As for steadiness of the hands, that's what waldos and precision
> positioning
>> equipment are for.
>>
>> > "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message

>> --
>> --John
>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 2:10:27 PM

So lets see, go out and get $1,000's in equipment to save $100 on a card
hehe. Thats almost Bushian in its logic.
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 6:34:26 PM

Damn.. i knew there would be some people who'd go technical, and point that
out :)  Oh well, better sooner than later..

As for Scanning-Tunneling, it acts as 2 different tools. Sure it can move
atoms held in the tweezer, but moving 1 atom at a time would take ages to do
a *simple* 0.13micron cut or weld, right? I mean we need to move atleast
thousands of atoms out of the way. So that's why i suggested high precision
laser beam.

> Asestar wrote:
>
> > That electron beam is just for you to "see" what you are aiming at. :)
It
> > does not cut or weld anything, except perhaps uranium neuclei if aimed
> > correctly :)
>
> Depends on what tool you're using. Electron beams are routinely used to
> both cut and weld. And with a scanning tunnelling microscope you can even
> put your joint together one atom at a time.
>
> > And then run the hell out of the city.. asap !
>
> Sorry, but to fission uranium takes neutrons. An electron beam unless
it's
> got a Hell of a lot of power behind it will not penetrate the electron
> shells of a uranium atom and even if it did the result would not be
> fission.
>
> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> >> Why use a laser when you have an electron beam already running that can
> > both
> >> cut and weld?
> >>
> >> As for steadiness of the hands, that's what waldos and precision
> > positioning
> >> equipment are for.

> >> --
> >> --John
> >> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 2:39:18 AM

Asestar wrote:

> Damn.. i knew there would be some people who'd go technical, and point
> that out :)  Oh well, better sooner than later..
>
> As for Scanning-Tunneling, it acts as 2 different tools. Sure it can move
> atoms held in the tweezer, but moving 1 atom at a time would take ages to
> do a *simple* 0.13micron cut or weld, right? I mean we need to move
> atleast thousands of atoms out of the way. So that's why i suggested high
> precision laser beam.

The point is that there are tools in existence that allow this--the details
don't really matter unless one has a few million bucks to throw around.

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Asestar wrote:
>>
>> > That electron beam is just for you to "see" what you are aiming at. :)
> It
>> > does not cut or weld anything, except perhaps uranium neuclei if aimed
>> > correctly :)
>>
>> Depends on what tool you're using. Electron beams are routinely used to
>> both cut and weld. And with a scanning tunnelling microscope you can
>> even put your joint together one atom at a time.
>>
>> > And then run the hell out of the city.. asap !
>>
>> Sorry, but to fission uranium takes neutrons. An electron beam unless
> it's
>> got a Hell of a lot of power behind it will not penetrate the electron
>> shells of a uranium atom and even if it did the result would not be
>> fission.
>>
>> > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> :)

>> > both

>> > positioning

>> --
>> --John
>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 12:35:58 PM

J. Clarke wrote:

> The point is that there are tools in existence that allow this--the
> details don't really matter unless one has a few million bucks to
> throw around.

Then again, if you had that money to throw around you MIGHT just not go for
the cheap version of the card ;)

Best Wishes
Thomas
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 1:34:09 AM

hehe... Use the laser one more time. I want some of what ever your smoking in
the pipe!
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 1:53:37 AM

"Danny Greaves" <dandog@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> hehe... Use the laser one more time. I want some of what ever your smoking
in
> the pipe!

Hmm.. let's see.. first, i don't smoke. If you want to smoke something
*good*, try smoking some burning plastic. It would taste worse than tobacco,
and it will even kill you faster! How better can smoking get?
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 5:14:47 PM

On Fri, 14 May 2004 21:53:37 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
.. n o> wrote:

>"Danny Greaves" <dandog@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> hehe... Use the laser one more time. I want some of what ever your smoking
>in
>> the pipe!
>
>Hmm.. let's see.. first, i don't smoke. If you want to smoke something
>*good*, try smoking some burning plastic. It would taste worse than tobacco,
>and it will even kill you faster! How better can smoking get?

Somehow, I don't think he's referring to smoking tobacco, Asestar.
And, while I'd agree with you that smoking - tobacco or other
substances - is not the nicest or most sensible of habits, each to
his/her own... ;-)

patrickp

May 20, 2004 1:49:20 AM

DaveW wrote:
>> I'm considering buying an x800 pro and I'm just wondering if someone
>> will come up with a hack to unlock the extra four pipelines? ATI said
>> they did something at the hardware level to disable the other four
>> pipes - but even if they did, it might be possible to solder some
>> components or something to unlock the pipelines right?
>
> I'm afraid you're out of luck. You CANNOT solder at the .13 micron
> level, which would be required.

Heheh too bad, they managed to find a way to enable the 4 remaining
pipelines ;-) It just seems that it wont work with a soft-mod. If you like,
i can find the link...

THomas
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 1:49:21 AM

Please do that.. thx

"Thomas" <thomas_@lycos.nl> wrote in message
> Heheh too bad, they managed to find a way to enable the 4 remaining
> pipelines ;-) It just seems that it wont work with a soft-mod. If you
like,
> i can find the link...
>
> THomas
May 20, 2004 6:18:18 AM

A chinese site has located some golden tabs on the circuit board that
possibly control the pipes. I don't think there is confirmation of that
tho.

rms
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 2:19:10 PM

These sites are of no big help to me (and i think many non-dutch and
non-chinese).
I personally tought ATI would do much better job this time around to stop
making pro->xt, or SE->Pro and so on.

> rms wrote:
> > A chinese site has located some golden tabs on the circuit board that
> > possibly control the pipes. I don't think there is confirmation of
> > that tho.
>
> http://www.unika.com.cn/article/article.php/1034
> http://www.tweakers.net/nieuws/32446/?highlight=ati (Dutch)
>
> Indeed, remains vague, i thought it was more definate...
>
> Thomas

May 21, 2004 5:09:51 AM

Asestar wrote:
> These sites are of no big help to me (and i think many non-dutch and
> non-chinese).
> I personally tought ATI would do much better job this time around to
> stop making pro->xt, or SE->Pro and so on.

There's also a thread here;
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12443&pos...

Thomas.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 11:33:24 PM

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X800_Series.html
theyre selling x800 pro's modded so the full 16 pipelines are all enabled.
Goyya be possible
"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 May 2004 21:53:37 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
> . n o> wrote:
>

> >"Danny Greaves" <dandog@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> >> hehe... Use the laser one more time. I want some of what ever your
smoking
> >in
> >> the pipe!
> >
> >Hmm.. let's see.. first, i don't smoke. If you want to smoke something
> >*good*, try smoking some burning plastic. It would taste worse than
tobacco,
> >and it will even kill you faster! How better can smoking get?
> >

> Somehow, I don't think he's referring to smoking tobacco, Asestar.
> And, while I'd agree with you that smoking - tobacco or other
> substances - is not the nicest or most sensible of habits, each to
> his/her own... ;-)
>

> patrickp
>
> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
Anonymous